Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so my vocabulary is fairly good and I know how to say things but my main downfall is development. I had a speaking mock about 3 weeks ago and development let me down an awful lot. So, my problem is "How do you develop your answers?"

For example, if I was asked about the internet and I replied "Me encanta la Red ya que sirve para ver videos en la paginas web como YouTube." How would I develop?

Sorry if this is really basic but I just don't know how to

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    well you can go on to explain when you surf the internet. for example...

por lo general, paso mas o menos una hora cada noche navegar por internet en mi ordenador, pero depende si tengo un monton de deberes

hope this helps

ps Im studying higher Spanish right now and this was one of the phrases I used and I got 100% in my speaking exam (my school had ours in March)

ReputationRep:
    Make it really personal, so for example you could give more details about what videos you like to watch, what else you do on the internet, etc. You could also mention some general pros and cons of a particular thing/situation, so with the internet you can say how it can be useful for keeping in touch with people or learning new things, but has its downfalls because anyone can post anything so you can't rely on the sources, and how it can easily become a way of procrastination...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evalilyXOX)
    well you can go on to explain when you surf the internet. for example...

por lo general, paso mas o menos una hora cada noche navegar por internet en mi ordenador, pero depende si tengo un monton de deberes

hope this helps

ps Im studying higher Spanish right now and this was one of the phrases I used and I got 100% in my speaking exam (my school had ours in March)
    Thank you! 100%?! How?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amd1)
    Make it really personal, so for example you could give more details about what videos you like to watch, what else you do on the internet, etc. You could also mention some general pros and cons of a particular thing/situation, so with the internet you can say how it can be useful for keeping in touch with people or learning new things, but has its downfalls because anyone can post anything so you can't rely on the sources, and how it can easily become a way of procrastination...
    Yeah, I think being personal is a big points earner, I'll try and use that, thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pessimist)
    Thank you! 100%?! How?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    well I tried to make it sound authentic so i used words like pues.... and bueno... before I answered a question (like the english equivalent of welll.... or erm....)

I also tried to give it emotion and not sound monotone and boring

I had a presentation and 2 sets of speaking questions so I learned them all off by heart but also prepared questions that she might ask in addition to the others)

make sure you answers are quite lengthy (obvs not an essay but not one or two lines)

just relax because if you sound nervious then that can be picked up on

hope this helps !

ReputationRep:
    well I tried to make it sound authentic so i used words like pues.... and bueno... before I answered a question (like the english equivalent of welll.... or erm....)

I had a presentation and 2 sets of speaking questions so I learned them all off by heart but also prepared questions that she might ask in addition to the others)

make sure you answers are quite lengthy (obvs not an essay but not one or two lines)

hope this helps !
    Thank you! This post is going to be my bible haha Also, how did you revise for it? I'm really not sure how to tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

hope this helps !
    how did you learn them all off by heart? how long before the exam did you start learning yours? my exam is on May 9th and I haven't learnt any, let alone finished writing the answers.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! This post is going to be my bible haha Also, how did you revise for it? I'm really not sure how to tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
    well I had 3 topics to learn (my presentation was on my family and friends and my 2 sets of speaking Qs were on free time and education)

for my questions I used different coloured flash cards which were really good (I used yellow for education and blue for free time)

I wrote the question on one side and the answer on the other. I kept on reading over them for a little while (maybe about an hour) and then I started to test myself to see how much I had learnt.

Then I tried to learn all of my favourite cards first (usually the shorter ones or the questions I could remember the easiest)

This helps to boost you confidence and self esteem so then I would try to move on to the lengthier answers

I would keep on going over them again and again, and the ones I kept on getting stuck on I would repeat those again and again and learn them extra hard.

I recorded myself saying it on my phone and because I get the car into school I would play it through my earphones (this helped ok but I had to learn the answers first before this method proved to be helpful. I also listened to this on repeat the night before my exam and the hour before)

I would say the cards into the mirror and not look at the answers until I got it right. I would get my parents and younger brother and sister to test me (my parents dont speak spanish but they could spot if I had missed out a word or something)

When I would test myself I would put all the ones I found difficult to the bottom of the pile and I would say these last to see how much I knew them after I had said everything else (cause by putting them first doesnt help you memory as they are too fresh in your mind)

In terms of the presentation, I wrote my essay out and took a space between each line. Then I divided all my sentences up by using big red dots made with a felt tip pen as full stops.

When I would learn it, I would learn it sentence at a time and for some strange reason the red dots would help me when I was learning it (i think its because it helps to break everything up and not seem so big)

Again I would try to learn it parrot fashion until I could say it off by heart.
    I would also add it little spanish phrases like bueno.. and pues... like I said in my previous post to help it sound more authentic and real.

I am not gonna lie. It does take a while to learn it all and be able to say it perfectly. I also was allowed 40 words in the exam with me so use of these words and perhaps use them for any ones you find hard to remember or something. I used all my words in my presentation and I basically just copied down a big chunk of my essay because I learnt it last and by that point I was mentally exhausted.

I sat mine on the 21st March 2013 (2 weeks before we went away for Easter break) and I got 25/25

But my exam was a higher exam (in live in Scotland btw) so it might be different for A level spanish

Good Luck for your exam - Im sure you will be fine. But if you need any more help and guidance then just quote me in another message or private message me .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Young Hot Stalin)
    how did you learn them all off by heart? how long before the exam did you start learning yours? my exam is on May 9th and I haven't learnt any, let alone finished writing the answers.
    Yeah I did learn them all off by heart which makes it better because you feel more confident going into the exam and you are less likely to freeze up cos you dont know what to say back.

My exam was on the Thursday morning and I started to learn them on the Monday night (on the wednesday I had a half day so I went home early to continue my studies)

I have a lot of tips in my previous post but it seems like you still have a lot of time to write your answers and learn them.

Good luck and if you need any more help then feel free to message me privately or by quoting me in a post

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I did learn them all off by heart which makes it better because you feel more confident going into the exam and you are less likely to freeze up cos you dont know what to say back.

My exam was on the Thursday morning and I started to learn them on the Monday night (on the wednesday I had a half day so I went home early to continue my studies)

I have a lot of tips in my previous post but it seems like you still have a lot of time to write your answers and learn them.

Good luck and if you need any more help then feel free to message me privately or by quoting me in a post
    Thank you for the reply! Ok so I have 4 topics, 20 Qs in each which means 80 all together. I'm spending all of today writing them, and just have one topic left.

The prospect of learning 80 answers scares me, but I know I have to do it. i'm going to try learning them in bullet points and ask my little sister to test me a lot and also record myself testing myself.

Seriously though I am in desperate need of any other way. I am so worried about how little time I have. I have German the week before however I actually have a ability to converse with people in german, which is not the case for spanish.

Thank you!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Young Hot Stalin)
    Thank you for the reply! Ok so I have 4 topics, 20 Qs in each which means 80 all together. I'm spending all of today writing them, and just have one topic left.

The prospect of learning 80 answers scares me, but I know I have to do it. i'm going to try learning them in bullet points and ask my little sister to test me a lot and also record myself testing myself.

Seriously though I am in desperate need of any other way. I am so worried about how little time I have. I have German the week before however I actually have a ability to converse with people in german, which is not the case for spanish.

Thank you!!!!
    I think not only is it a task of learning, but it is an acquired skill. Like you said, you can converse in German but that is not the case when it comes to Spanish.
    Just try your best. I mean it isnt the end of the world if you dont do as well as you hope, it just means that you have to try harder in the actual exam. Obviously you want to do well but dont get yourself worked up about it because you dont want to get too stressed.

ReputationRep:
    well I had 3 topics to learn (my presentation was on my family and friends and my 2 sets of speaking Qs were on free time and education)

for my questions I used different coloured flash cards which were really good (I used yellow for education and blue for free time)

I wrote the question on one side and the answer on the other. I kept on reading over them for a little while (maybe about an hour) and then I started to test myself to see how much I had learnt.

Then I tried to learn all of my favourite cards first (usually the shorter ones or the questions I could remember the easiest)

This helps to boost you confidence and self esteem so then I would try to move on to the lengthier answers

I would keep on going over them again and again, and the ones I kept on getting stuck on I would repeat those again and again and learn them extra hard.

I recorded myself saying it on my phone and because I get the car into school I would play it through my earphones (this helped ok but I had to learn the answers first before this method proved to be helpful. I also listened to this on repeat the night before my exam and the hour before)

I would say the cards into the mirror and not look at the answers until I got it right. I would get my parents and younger brother and sister to test me (my parents dont speak spanish but they could spot if I had missed out a word or something)

When I would test myself I would put all the ones I found difficult to the bottom of the pile and I would say these last to see how much I knew them after I had said everything else (cause by putting them first doesnt help you memory as they are too fresh in your mind)

In terms of the presentation, I wrote my essay out and took a space between each line. Then I divided all my sentences up by using big red dots made with a felt tip pen as full stops.

When I would learn it, I would learn it sentence at a time and for some strange reason the red dots would help me when I was learning it (i think its because it helps to break everything up and not seem so big)

Again I would try to learn it parrot fashion until I could say it off by heart.
    I would also add it little spanish phrases like bueno.. and pues... like I said in my previous post to help it sound more authentic and real.

I am not gonna lie. It does take a while to learn it all and be able to say it perfectly. I also was allowed 40 words in the exam with me so use of these words and perhaps use them for any ones you find hard to remember or something. I used all my words in my presentation and I basically just copied down a big chunk of my essay because I learnt it last and by that point I was mentally exhausted.

I sat mine on the 21st March 2013 (2 weeks before we went away for Easter break) and I got 25/25

But my exam was a higher exam (in live in Scotland btw) so it might be different for A level spanish

Good Luck for your exam - Im sure you will be fine. But if you need any more help and guidance then just quote me in another message or private message me .
    Thank you for all your help! One last thing, what are some sophisticated structures that you used? I have a few that use subjunctive and conditional but that's about it.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for all your help! One last thing, what are some sophisticated structures that you used? I have a few that use subjunctive and conditional but that's about it.
    tbh I didnt really use any sophisticated structures.

I mean they are really good to use but I just kept my language quite basic and that seemed to do the trick

I just talked in a conversational tone and occasionally gave my own opinion which seemed to do the trick for me

ReputationRep:
    tbh I didnt really use any sophisticated structures.

I mean they are really good to use but I just kept my language quite basic and that seemed to do the trick

I just talked in a conversational tone and occasionally gave my own opinion which seemed to do the trick for me
    I feel so stupid asking this but how did you give your opinions? Like, what structures did you use?

ReputationRep:
    I feel so stupid asking this but how did you give your opinions? Like, what structures did you use?
    well I talked about school rules at one point and I said

Creo que las reglas de mi colegio sigue siendo demasiado estricto y creo que no sea justo

I used alot of phrases like
    tengo admitir que (I have to admit that ..)
    desde mi punto de vista (From my point of view)
    tengo decir que (I have to say that...)

if i was giving my opinion I would say

mi encanta
    me divierto
    me gusta mucho
    no me gusta nada
    odio

just like that kind stuff ........

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.