Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Probably gonna get negged to hell but dont really care, but i dont want to sound like a *****.

I believe charities should invest money into sex education and birth control for the majority of these countries, i don't understand why someone would want a child when they can barely survive themselves, its not really fair on the kid or to them. I don't mind donating to charity myself but what i do mind is when my money goes to something that can only be used a limited amount of times and doesn't build the right mindset for them or doesnt actually teach them anything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tymberlake)
    i don't understand why someone would want a child when they can barely survive themselves, its not really fair on the kid or to them.
    A lot of impoverished rural families have children so that when they grow up they can act as breadwinners to support the older generation.

ReputationRep:
    I think the current aid system is broken. It's putting a plaster over a gaping, festering wound. We have nations utterly dependent on Aid, but with no future, they simply live off the Aid. This isn't something we should be encouraging. As harsh and unfeeling as it sounds, it's much better to invest that food aid in the economy for 20 years, and yes, see millions starve, so that the nation can one day function, than ply them with this current form of Aid, where millions die anyway and nothing is solved.

Also, for some 3rd world nations I would like to see a lot of their debt cancelled, it's pointless draining what little money they have out of them, with the full knowledge they'll never pay back anything like the sum. I think one of the few times I agree with the some of my more left-minded liberal peers on this matter. What's the point of taking the change out of a beggars' cup when he owes you thousands?

ReputationRep:
    Fact is, pretty sure no one at TSR is anywhere near experienced enough, nor knowledgeable enough to make any real valid comments on how charities should work. Do you really think the people behind charities haven't thought of any comment anyone including myself hasn't? Sure, there might be the odd couple of brilliant ideas every once in a while, but charities and investments on large scales have been put in place after careful consideration of what may be best.

It may have ended up being wrong ones, or it may be too early to tell, but it sure as hell had a lot of smart people thinking about it before putting the measures in place. People's suggestions may be right, but the more sensible ones have probably already been discussed and mulled over by the charities themselves.

Frankly, I say leave the experts to do what they know than to have silly ideas.

ReputationRep:
    Probably gonna get negged to hell but dont really care, but i dont want to sound like a *****.

I believe charities should invest money into sex education and birth control for the majority of these countries, i don't understand why someone would want a child when they can barely survive themselves, its not really fair on the kid or to them. I don't mind donating to charity myself but what i do mind is when my money goes to something that can only be used a limited amount of times and doesn't build the right mindset for them or doesnt actually teach them anything
    1. Agree. Birth control shots and family planning is needed as a condition of aid. There is inevitably going to be significant conflict driven by the explosive population growth in sub-saharan africa. In 2005 the population was 700 million, but it's projected to double to 2 billion before 2050. The current population level is unable to feed itself so 2 billion will be disastrous for those in the area.

2. Another problem is the one pointed to by James Watson, and suggests that those countries are going to require ongoing assistance.

3.At the same time East Asian and European populations are not replacing themselves, but they are the most pre-adapted to maintaining modern economies.

So you'll have an increasing number of the world population dependent on fewer people in the productive economies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hslakaal)
    Fact is, pretty sure no one at TSR is anywhere near experienced enough, nor knowledgeable enough to make any real valid comments on how charities should work. Do you really think the people behind charities haven't thought of any comment anyone including myself hasn't? .
    Actually, it's worse than that. Many are guided by false assumptions and religious ideology that isn't favourable to contraception. Given the lack of sustainability for the population in sub-saharan africa at present it should be alarming to people that the population is projected to double by 2050. In that respect, aid is actually making the problem worse. You have a population that is expanding beyond what is sustainable and it's going to lead to major resource conflicts in that region.

ReputationRep:
    It's not our problem. Why should be these country's mugs? They can help themselves but rhey can't be bothered. They don't even appreciate it anyway. Tired of this country giving and getting nothing back.

ReputationRep:
    Where do you think our money is going? Of course it is going towards things like sex clinics, family planning centres, contraception etc. etc.

People in third world countries don't have access to contraception and that's how they end up with huge families to feed or with an STD, but they can't pay the money for treatment because they have to feed their large family.

People in third world countries aren't educated enough to know about these things which is why family planning centres are needing to be built.

Once they are educated thy will understand, less children will die, money that would have been spent on medication can be spent on education and the money we give can eventually begin to go towards other causes

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

You obviously know absolutely nothing of the world. I'm finally tired so Ill just leave this here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT9poH_D2Iw

He talks about fertility rates, mortality,why people have many kids etc... You also obviously don't understand how charities operate.

Saying that I dislike "aid"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slickrick666999)
    It's not our problem. Why should be these country's mugs? They can help themselves but rhey can't be bothered. They don't even appreciate it anyway. Tired of this country giving and getting nothing back.
    Oh wow. You also know absolutely nothing of world affairs.

ReputationRep:
    That would work if the chances of that child dying wasn't insanely high be it from infectious diseases such as malaria or from dirty water. Increasing the standard of living doesn't mean have less kids.

In any case, Turkey had a massive population increase from 10 million to 80 million and it is thanks to that increase we are where we are. The problem is with educating the public not in how many kids they have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steevee)
    I think the current aid system is broken. It's putting a plaster over a gaping, festering wound. We have nations utterly dependent on Aid, but with no future, they simply live off the Aid. This isn't something we should be encouraging. As harsh and unfeeling as it sounds, it's much better to invest that food aid in the economy for 20 years, and yes, see millions starve, so that the nation can one day function, than ply them with this current form of Aid, where millions die anyway and nothing is solved.

Also, for some 3rd world nations I would like to see a lot of their debt cancelled, it's pointless draining what little money they have out of them, with the full knowledge they'll never pay back anything like the sum. I think one of the few times I agree with the some of my more left-minded liberal peers on this matter. What's the point of taking the change out of a beggars' cup when he owes you thousands?
    I agree. Simply giving these people food and money is only condemning them to a life in the welfare trap. It doesn't raise them out of poverty, it provides no incentive for them to actually build up their societies, it just turns them into useless eaters. These people need to be empowered, not nannied.

Personally I would first invest aid money in a rigorous regime of soil improvement in the poorest and most infertile regions, provide the people with some basic training in horticulture/agriculture and in water sourcing and purificatation. Then they can at least start producing their own food and water, relying far less on handouts. Thus saving a vast amount of aid which can be spent on more useful projects.

Self-sufficiency in food and water production is the first step towards building a more prosperous and strong society. It is no coincidence that the most fertile regions of the planet throughout history produced the most powerful and advanced civilizations (the ancient Chinese, Greeks, Romans, Egyptians, Incas, Mayans, Aztecs for example), and it is no coincidence that many of the more nomadic and hunter gatherer based cultures (who generally inhabit the most infertile regions), failed advanced beyond that of the stone age.

ReputationRep:
    I agree. These people need to stop shagging and bringing more people into poverty. It's a disgrace.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CaptainDudeson)
    I agree. These people need to stop shagging and bringing more people into poverty. It's a disgrace.
    Again. You know absolutely nothing of world affairs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de_monies)
    Again. You know absolutely nothing of world affairs
    I'm not particularly interested in people who don't even want to help themselves.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not particularly interested in people who don't even want to help themselves.
    Again way to show your ignorance and base an opinion on millions of people on prejudice and emotion

It wasn't *that* long ago when the UK was actively encouraging large (ie:12+ sibling families) so if any thing you are also offending yoir ancestors

Your ignorance means you've offended yourself. Good going

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de_monies)
    Again way to show your ignorance and base an opinion on millions of people on prejudice and emotion

It wasn't *that* long ago when the UK was actively encouraging large (ie:12+ sibling families) so if any thing you are also offending yoir ancestors

Your ignorance means you've offended yourself. Good going
    I haven't offended myself. My ancestors could afford to have many offspring and to provide them with everything that they needed such as a good education, clothing, food e.t.c.

The people who are the subject of this thread can not.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't offended myself. My ancestors could afford to have many offspring and to provide them with everything that they needed such as a good education, clothing, food e.t.c.

The people who are the subject of this thread can not.
    Ah but you (likely) have. That's the thing. Pre industrial revolution, class was a major thing in the UK, so you couldn't even afford to be educated unless you have the money. This made up the vast majority of the UK

Let's take South Asia for instance. Because of the inequality of the caste system, I am placed in a higher caste and therefore my ancestors were able to get a good education, clothing, food etc...

That being said, I see no reason to take pride in such a thing. We are in there here, the now, the present. You have most definitely insulted yourself

And because of such inequalities, the poorer people simply can't have a good education, clothing, food etc...

In the Victorian times, it was the UK gov't that paid for large families to flourish. It's not "Oh I can afford this many kids" Take the richer families for instance. In history, it's pretty much always the case that the richer you are, the LESS kids you have

ReputationRep:

Good on you for having a think about the charities you donate or don't donate to instead of mindlessly giving so that 'something will improve'.

Donating to infrastructure and education is a million times more important than donating to shorter term goals, imho. There's a saying which I'm going to very badly paraphrase; give a man food and he'll eat for a day; teach him to grow his own and he'll eat for a lifetime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hslakaal)
    Fact is, pretty sure no one at TSR is anywhere near experienced enough, nor knowledgeable enough to make any real valid comments on how charities should work. Do you really think the people behind charities haven't thought of any comment anyone including myself hasn't? Sure, there might be the odd couple of brilliant ideas every once in a while, but charities and investments on large scales have been put in place after careful consideration of what may be best.

It may have ended up being wrong ones, or it may be too early to tell, but it sure as hell had a lot of smart people thinking about it before putting the measures in place. People's suggestions may be right, but the more sensible ones have probably already been discussed and mulled over by the charities themselves.

Frankly, I say leave the experts to do what they know than to have silly ideas.
    What, like Kony2012?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.