Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I will be starting university in September and will be studying maths this however is not the course that I really want to do. I applied for medicine this year and was unsuccessful and I want to reapply next year without having to take a gap year. What I'm asking really is does anyone know if you are allowed to start a degree and whilst in you first year apply for another course with the intentions to change?

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you can, but medical schools will wonder why you didn't just take a gap year and find more work experience.

ReputationRep:
    The main reason for that is if I'm unsuccessful again then I don't want to have wasted another year when I could of been getting a degree that I can use to apply as a graduate! Thank for your reply!

ReputationRep:
    My application was far from inadequate I actually have lots of work experience in the uk and abroad so that is not the problem as the medical schools have told me the problem this year was my UKCAT which was too low but that can be improved upon greatly! Also I wasn't rejected from five as I only applied to two medical schools which are both highly competitive! I also know too well that just wanting to be a doctor isn't enough I have spent the last four years gaining experience in order to get in!

ReputationRep:
    Look all I wanted to know was whether ucas allows you to apply for another course whilst already on another! I know that if I was successful I would be starting at year one of medicine and I am not wasting another unis time as I actually love maths and if I am unsuccessful again then I will be completing my maths degree! Also I am aware that all applications are through UCAS! I don't even know you so please don't be cheeky to me all I wanted was an answer to my question from someone that had been in the same position as me!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not annoyed! You are the one that keeps coming back and saying more to me! I know that I want to be a doctor more than anything else and I know that it is the perfect job for me which is why I am looking for any alternative routes to get there such as a degree or access courses!!

ReputationRep:
    OP, judging from the previous comments it is obvious that the vast majority of them know not enough about medicine applications
    I'm in a similar position, however, I am already on a gap year. It is possible to do what you intend to do, but not every medical school will accept an application if you're already in your first year doing a different course. There is a page/an article on here that lists the unis that will accept an application.
    Go have a look and good luck.

I will be starting a chemistry degree myself and plan on applying for medicine a third time whilst on that course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarinaBS)
    OP, judging from the previous comments it is obvious that the vast majority of them know not enough about medicine applications
    I'm in a similar position, however, I am already on a gap year. It is possible to do what you intend to do, but not every medical school will accept an application if you're already in your first year doing a different course. There is a page/an article on here that lists the unis that will accept an application.
    Go have a look and good luck.

I will be starting a chemistry degree myself and plan on applying for medicine a third time whilst on that course
    Thank you! It's nice to hear I'm not the only one that is taking this as a possible route!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swizzel)
    Thank you! It's nice to hear I'm not the only one that is taking this as a possible route!
    whilst this route may not be as common as a gap year or grad entry alltogether - it is certainly possible to get in. You just have to have a valid reason for your decision that you can put into your personal statement and be able to elaborate on it during interview
    But be aware that your choice of uni will be very limited

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarinaBS)
    whilst this route may not be as common as a gap year or grad entry alltogether - it is certainly possible to get in. You just have to have a valid reason for your decision that you can put into your personal statement and be able to elaborate on it during interview
    But be aware that your choice of uni will be very limited

Thank you I had a look at the article you mentioned! I see that the choices are somewhat limited but there are certainly a few on the list that I would definitely be interested in applying too!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It is possible yes, but it would be wise to ask prospective universities if they will accept you. Often they will ask for a reference from your current uni supporting you re-application. (I had to do this when I reapplied for a different course while still at uni. FYI - I decided to stay on my current course despite receiving other offers as I decided psychology was the course for me, not politics)

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.