Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Edited

ReputationRep:
    I put it in prettier font to make the essay easier to read

ReputationRep:
    Studying law is obviously not the right path for you, you should be studying something you want to do for the rest of your life. English isn't a disrespected degree, especially if you use it wisely. Just do whatever you think will make you happy good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a similar position. I chose a degree in Programming when all my life I've excelled at English and I've never even had to work at it. I've always had straight As and A*s in History for many years and I have a keen interest in it. I love to read and to write essays. I'm quite worried about whether or not I made the right choice, and I may well end up applying for a transfer to English / History, or a joint Honours. Remember, first years aren't usually counted in your final degree (at least not in my course) so you could always apply for a transfer. In your case, it sounds like the right thing to do, but you have to make the decision. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by British-Student)
    I'm in a similar position. I chose a degree in Programming when all my life I've excelled at English and I've never even had to work at it. I've always had straight As and A*s in History for many years and I have a keen interest in it. I love to read and to write essays. I'm quite worried about whether or not I made the right choice, and I may well end up applying for a transfer to English / History, or a joint Honours. Remember, first years aren't usually counted in your final degree (at least not in my course) so you could always apply for a transfer. In your case, it sounds like the right thing to do, but you have to make the decision. Good luck
    Thanks for your reply

Yes, our first year doesn't count.

Are you definitely going to transfer too?
    Do you you know how you would go about switching courses?
    It seems pretty complicated; in my case, I would even have to switch universities as my current university does not offer English.

ReputationRep:
    It's a mistake to read law at university just because you want to be a lawyer. There is all the difference in the world between studying law and practising it. And you have to realise that you won't get a good degree if you are forcing yourself to read a subject you don't like. AND there is so much to dislike about studying law at university. The subject you read - provided it's intellectually respectable (so not football studies) - is immaterial. A law firm will want to see that you are enthusiastic about something and capable of producing a good result - preferably a very good result.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yazooo)
    Thanks for your reply

Yes, our first year doesn't count.

Are you definitely going to transfer too?
    Do you you know how you would go about switching courses?
    It seems pretty complicated; in my case, I would even have to switch universities as my current university does not offer English.
    Not absolutely sure, I haven't started the course yet, although it's definitely possible. If I was going to transfer I'd look around, see what universities offered the best modules for me; genres, time periods, etc. Then I guess I'd present my case to the head of the department, say 'look, the course is good but it's not my calling, as you can see I have exemplary results in my other subject and I've always enjoyed it, I'm looking to go to this subject at that uni' and see how it goes. It's easiest to transfer in the first couple of weeks / months ideally, but it can't be impossible to ask about it later on in the year.

Go see your tutor and try to straighten it all out

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.