Number plate...driving test Watch

sirwin
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Out of interest, has anyone ever failed their driving test...even before getting in the car due to them being unable to read the number plate from the required distance of 20.5 metres
xavier2k3
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Nope, i was fine. I can hardly believe that it'd be common...

regards
--marty
-- Dan --
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I've seen a couple of people fail for forgetting to take their license - they didn't even get chance to read the number plate!

And i failed my 3rd test before i'd pulled out of the test centre car park, apparently i didn't look left and i got a dangerous mark for it, which was annoying cos the rest of the test only got me 3 minors and i thought i'd passed

But on my 4th test (which i passed) he asked me to read a number plate, when it was dark and rainy, and then admitted to me that it was nearly double the required distance away! I think i mistook a G for a 6 and got away with it (maybe he couldn't read it? ), but i dunno what he'd have done if i hadn't been able to read it at all.
hoppo
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You would be surprised how many do, always amazes me though because surely they would have checked they could read it at the correct distance (20.5meteres) long before they get to test.

A bit of advice if you are in doubt get your eyes checked, don't wait until the test day to find out, it's very embarassing if you don't even make it to the car!
thomasp
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
*Raises hand*

Could read front plates fine, and back plates seemed OK in practices, but it wasn't the way on my first test....

I'd have probably failed in the car anyway, so it just got it over and done with.
dimexi
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by sirwin)
Out of interest, has anyone ever failed their driving test...even before getting in the car due to them being unable to read the number plate from the required distance of 20.5 metres
I think someone posted a while ago saying they had failed because of that :eek:
thomasp
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by dimexi)
I think someone posted a while ago saying they had failed because of that :eek:
It was probably me - read my post above
dhutch
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I asked the optician at my eyetest if i was ok for driving, and they said i was more than capable.
- Also my instructors had me read a number plate before my first lesson.

Daniel
mc_hamster
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I had a bit of a problem reading a number plate on one of my tests, but I didn't get marked down for it.
thomasp
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by dhutch)
I asked the optician at my eyetest if i was ok for driving, and they said i was more than capable.
- Also my instructors had me read a number plate before my first lesson.

Daniel
My instructor tested me too, and I was always fine

Incidentally, when I was doing the eyesight test on my first driving test, the examiner stood me probably 35m away from a car and asked me to read the front plate - I did this but got one letter wrong (F/E mixup, or O/D, or something like that), so he moved me closer (5m, if that) and gave me another car - this time, a back plate. Got two out of the 7 wrong. Then, I messed up one letter on the back plate of the measured one.

Mind you, those 5 weeks between tests really improved my driving
S
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You have to consider that your eyes change over time, I'm becoming more and more short sighted. I can read a number plate from 20.5m away now, but come test time, you can't be sure.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (330)
37.37%
No - but I will (71)
8.04%
No - I don't want to (63)
7.13%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (419)
47.45%

Watched Threads