The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I've just had a quick look through all the past papers and I don't think the experiment to find the centre of gravity has ever actually come up has it?
Original post by brawlerpit
I hate doing exams in the afternoon, what do you guys do to prepare for afternoon exams during the morning? (This is my only afternoon exam).

Prediction for this paper:

SUVAT
Trilateration/Galileo's experiment (gut feeling it will come up again)
Car Safety
Youngus Modulus experiment
Pressure/Density

Hoping for a more maths based paper rather than explanations based paper, its so hard to communicate physics in writing :/

Mate, SUVAT comes on every paper lol. trilateration/Galileos will not come up. They will never ask the Same questions twice in a row lol
Original post by yodawg321
Mate, SUVAT comes on every paper lol. trilateration/Galileos will not come up. They will never ask the Same questions twice in a row lol

I wouldn't be so confident about that last bit, I've noticed it happening in several cases. For G485, for example, they gave a long mark question for MRI scanners twice in a row (jun 2012 and jan 2013).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JASApplications
I've just had a quick look through all the past papers and I don't think the experiment to find the centre of gravity has ever actually come up has it?

Jan 09 Question 4 d)

Like OP Dr.PhysicsA on youtube is great for mechanics
Original post by Rhodopsin94
I wouldn't be so confident about that last bit, I've noticed it happening in several cases. For G485, for example, they gave a long mark question for MRI scanners twice in a row (jun 2012 and jan 2013).

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know both of those questions well but it just seems very unlikely as there are quiet a few others that haven't come up in a while
Reply 65
anybody have a good example answer to Aristotle/galileo experiment and the trilateration/young modulus/centre of gravity experiments ?
Original post by madrevision
I don't know if this is everything, hope it helps :smile:
the velocity definition in this was not accepted in a paper I just did so change it to The rate of change of displacement. It is a vector quantity and
is measured in metres per second (ms-1).
(edited 10 years ago)
I know both of those questions well but it just seems very unlikely as there are quiet a few others that haven't come up in a while

Well it was just the point that they could ask you I was making, I agree though, it's unlikely. I agree with whoever it was that said about work done coming up in this exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have a bad feeling its going to be an explanation paper rather than maths ;(
By the way was it me or was jan 2013 paper incredibly easy compared to the previous year papers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 69
If any of you are interested, I've got my UMS calculator based on last years boundaries, which was about an average series (unlike jan 2013 which was a bit more difficult)
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Layontheland
I have a bad feeling its going to be an explanation paper rather than maths ;(
By the way was it me or was jan 2013 paper incredibly easy compared to the previous year papers

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I think most people found it hard as it was 41/60 for an A lol
(edited 10 years ago)
Well I think most people found it hard as it was 42/60 for an A lol

Yikes I hadn't known that

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had a thought that a question regarding combination of springs might come up.. As two springs in parallel or in series.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can someone please help me understand torque and couples? I get moments as I did M1 but I'm a bit confused about the other two :s-smilie:
Original post by toocoolforshoes
Can someone please help me understand torque and couples? I get moments as I did M1 but I'm a bit confused about the other two :s-smilie:

A couple consists of two equal and opposite forces.

A torque is the product of one of these forces multiplied by the perpendicular distance between the two forces.
It is usually stated as "a torque of a couple"

Look at diagrams found in texts book. They make it really clear. Such as an example of a car wheel.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Joseph-
anybody have a good example answer to Aristotle/galileo experiment and the trilateration/young modulus/centre of gravity experiments ?

I'll try to post some good answers to those and any other long word questions later tonight :smile:
Original post by dakenSoren
I'll try to post some good answers to those and any other long word questions later tonight :smile:
please do and please if you have time can you add what we might need to know for springs in series as I did not understand this when it was taught :colondollar: thanks
Any ideas what I should do the day before the paper?
Already have planned re reading all my notes and answering every question in the book as I've done all past papers twice.

Any ideas?
Theres always one difficult question in each paper.. just hope the one on monday is on a topic im strong on
Having finished all the papers from 2009 i also tried some of the older papers as most of the material is the same (with a few exceptions of course) and some other challenging questions aswell.

Latest

Trending

Trending