Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Went to Yo! Sushi for the first time today - overall I have to say it was a very pleasant experience. Two things marred it though...

1) It was our first time ever going to this style of restaurant and we basically walked in, were sat down and then left to our own devices. It may be a self explanatory system but it took us nearly half an hour to figure out how to get a drink (you have to press the button, but not too long, and only once apparently) and we didn't really get what was going on.

2) As it was a Monday, they were running their usual 'Blue Monday' offer. Basically this means all plates on the belt are charged at the price of the blue plate, £2.40. Apart from they're not. I picked up a yellow plate* which was going around on the belt... which is (I presumed normally as I had not been told different) the most expensive plate priced at £6. We only found that yellow plates were charged at £6 on Blue Mondays when we received the bill.

We had a paper menu on our table with 'Blue Monday' on the top of it. It said underneath it (I remember this very clearly as I insisted to my BF that it meant that everything on offer was £2.40) "All plates on the belt today for just £2.40.". There was NO mention of yellow plates being £6, on the Blue Monday menu, to us when we arrived, or even on the 'specials' board that went around on the conveyor belt. The ONLY mention of yellow plates being £6 was in very small print at the very bottom of the drink menu where all the different plate colours were explained - but as it was Blue Monday, only blue and a few yellow plates were going around. I assumed that they had run out of blue plates for that 'batch' of food and were using yellow plates. I didn't think to ask because other people were picking up yellow plates without a problem.

We didn't say anything at the end because there were a few people waiting behind us to pay - but if there hadn't have been, I would've queried it.

Is this misleading? Or am I really that simple? There is nothing on the website about specials being charged as £6 on Blue Mondays either - in fact the terms and conditions simply say this:

1. Offer valid off the conveyor belt only and not applicable on miso, drinks or take-away.
    2. Any hot/cold orders not available on the Blue Mondays menu will be charged at normal price.
    3. Offer valid at YO! Sushi: Brighton, Brent Cross, Bluewater, Birmingham Selfridges, Bristol Cabot Circus, Camden, Cambridge, County Hall, Bristol Cribbs Causeway, Eden High Wycombe, Farringdon, Fenwick Newcastle, Finchley Road, Fulham Broadway, Portsmouth Gunwharf Quays, Plymouth, Edinburgh Harvey Nichols, Leeds Harvey Nichols, Piccadilly Circus, Leicester Highcross, Croydon House of Fraser, Glasgow House of Fraser, Reading House of Fraser, Lakeside, Liverpool ONE, London Waterloo, Windsor, Manchester Piccadilly, Manchester Arndale, MetroCentre Gateshead, Meadowhall Sheffield, Milton Keynes, Bath Milsom Place, Oxford, Nottingham, Norwich, Soho, Leicester Square, Southbank Centre Festival Hall, Bond Street, Guildford, Manchester Selfridges Trafford, Glasgow Silverburn, Solihull Touchwood, Cardiff St David’s, St Pancras Station, St Paul's, Russell Square, Victoria Station, Southampton WestQuay, Danile Windsor, Westfield Stratford, Bayswater Aberdeen Bon Accord, Aberdeen Union Square York, and Exeter.
    4. Offer not transferable or available in conjunction with another offer (e.g. our Student discount) and there is no cash alternative.
    5. YO! Sushi Manager’s decision is final.

If I had known the price of it, I wouldn't have bothered with the yellow plate as it was cold sticky chilli beef and wasn't worth the £6 I had to pay for it... In fact, I think it was the worst dish of the whole meal. A close second was the mochi, those things are gross... Our meal cost us nearly double what we wanted to pay, a third of it was on those two plates.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should enquire about the price of your meal. It might be that you got a new member of staff who just didn't know what they were doing. As there was a mention of yellow plates on a very small sign that might mean they can get away with it. If you talk to the manager about it though you might be able to explain to them why you think their system is so misleading and, even if you don't get a refund, they might change their signs so they are easier for people to see and they may try and make the system a little easier. Unfortunately, I have never been to a Yo! Sushi before so I can't really offer a lot more advice. Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    You could maybe email their Head Office and present your points as you have to us, with suggestions about how improvements could be made to make things clearer for new customers? If you explain your issues and give positive solutions, you might get free meal vouchers. Some companies can place a monetary value on getting and keeping new customers, which that approach would do for them. If you just go in complaining, the best you're likely to get is an apology.

It depends what you want to get out of complaining. If you just want to get it off your chest, then you've done it here. If you want an apology and nothing else, then send the same text to the Head Office. If you want things to improve for other new customers and get some kind of benefit for yourself, then switching it round to be positive will be most likely to get a result.

I wouldn't bother with the local manager. S/he's just managing the franchise. Best to go to the main part of the organisation which might be able to implement improvements across the chain. Bigger impact = bigger potential reward for you.

Complaining for its own sake is just an empty gesture. Figure out what you want to achieve by complaining and tailor your actions to getting that result.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice, in the end I sent a rather long rambling email about it and got £20 worth of meal vouchers in return. I wasn't looking for that many so I'm rather impressed and will definitely be going back!

ReputationRep:
    Good result!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.