Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all and thanks for reading this

I'm feeling rather apprehensive about my chances of getting into a college course to begin the long road to a degree.

I'm 26 and left school with Credit Standard Grades in Maths and Physics, but still couldn't get into a Higher EE course last year. I was offered a place on the Intermediate 2 level course (the level below) but some unforeseen circumstances meant I would be unable to do either that year anyway. This year all the colleges near me seem to have discontinued the Int2 courses! So that has left me in a bit of a pickle.

With the qualifications I have, I'm pretty sure I won't get on the course (I'll still try), so I'm looking for a bit of advice as to what my next step should be in the event that I don't get accepted.

The first thought that popped into my head was to spend a year to advance my Maths and Physics to Higher themselves, which would substantially increase my chances of getting into Higher EE and also give me a chance of getting straight into a HNC EE (a small chance though).

The other thought was to do another course relevant to EE that would lead to an acceptance next year. When I look at courses, there seem to be so many that are similar to each other and I'm not exactly sure which ones would be of benefit, so a little guidance here would be super.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated. Have a nice day

[Also posted this elsewhere on the forum as I was unsure exactly where to put it]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellipsis™)
    Hi all and thanks for reading this

I'm feeling rather apprehensive about my chances of getting into a college course to begin the long road to a degree.

I'm 26 and left school with Credit Standard Grades in Maths and Physics, but still couldn't get into a Higher EE course last year. I was offered a place on the Intermediate 2 level course (the level below) but some unforeseen circumstances meant I would be unable to do either that year anyway. This year all the colleges near me seem to have discontinued the Int2 courses! So that has left me in a bit of a pickle.

With the qualifications I have, I'm pretty sure I won't get on the course (I'll still try), so I'm looking for a bit of advice as to what my next step should be in the event that I don't get accepted.

The first thought that popped into my head was to spend a year to advance my Maths and Physics to Higher themselves, which would substantially increase my chances of getting into Higher EE and also give me a chance of getting straight into a HNC EE (a small chance though).

The other thought was to do another course relevant to EE that would lead to an acceptance next year. When I look at courses, there seem to be so many that are similar to each other and I'm not exactly sure which ones would be of benefit, so a little guidance here would be super.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated. Have a nice day

[Also posted this elsewhere on the forum as I was unsure exactly where to put it]
    I'm assuming those are scottish qualifications since you mentioned highers? Advance your maths and physics and try to do as much maths as you can as this is what they mainly look for. Once you have advanced both your maths and physics you can then apply to universities if they don't offer you standard entry then do a foundation year first at that university before starting the degree? Another alternative is for you to get an apprenticeship with an EE related company this should be slight easier to get into and upon completion of the apprenticeship you wil either get level 3 qualifications,an HNC or the company may even sponsor you to do a degree while they pay for ur fees. Very difficult to get into really but my advice overall would be advance the two subjects first before doing anything else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a10)
    I'm assuming those are scottish qualifications since you mentioned highers? Advance your maths and physics and try to do as much maths as you can as this is what they mainly look for. Once you have advanced both your maths and physics you can then apply to universities if they don't offer you standard entry then do a foundation year first at that university before starting the degree? Another alternative is for you to get an apprenticeship with an EE related company this should be slight easier to get into and upon completion of the apprenticeship you wil either get level 3 qualifications,an HNC or the company may even sponsor you to do a degree while they pay for ur fees. Very difficult to get into really but my advice overall would be advance the two subjects first before doing anything else.
    Superb mate thanks for the advice.

So, maths maths maths then. That's good for me since I actually really enjoy maths. Onwards and upwards!

Thanks again.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.