Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

THE FUTURE IS HERE - United States Navy Deploys Laser Weapon Near Iran! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Navy Deploying Laser Weapon Prototype Near Iran

The Navy is going to sea for the first time with a laser attack weapon that has been shown in tests to disable patrol boats and blind or destroy surveillance drones.

A prototype shipboard laser will be deployed on a converted amphibious transport and docking ship in the Persian Gulf, where Iranian fast-attack boats have harassed American warships and where the government in Tehran is building remotely piloted aircraft carrying surveillance pods and, someday potentially, rockets.

The laser will not be operational until next year, but the announcement on Monday by Adm. Jonathan W. Greenert, the chief of naval operations, seemed meant as a warning to Iran not to step up activity in the gulf in the next few months if tensions increase because of sanctions and the impasse in negotiations over the Iranian nuclear program. The Navy released video and still images of the laser weapon burning through a drone during a test firing.

The laser is designed to carry out a graduated scale of missions, from burning through a fast-attack boat or a drone to producing a nonlethal burst to “dazzle” an adversary’s sensors and render them useless without causing any other physical damage.

“Equipping Navy surface ships with lasers could lead to changes in naval tactics, ship design and procurement plans for ship based weapons, bringing about a technological shift for the Navy — a ‘game changer’ — comparable to the advent of shipboard missiles in the 1950s,” said the assessment, by the Congressional Research Service, a branch of the Library of Congress.

It seems quite Star Wars-esque doesn't it? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Hmm to be honest the amount the US spends on the military im not impressed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill_Gates)
    Hmm to be honest the amount the US spends on the military im not impressed.
    True. Although the laser weapon is only in its prototype stage, but still.

ReputationRep:
    Part of me says this is really cool, but another part of me says that the money could be better spent.

Hopefully this'll be used well and will actually be advantageous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bonoahx)
    Part of me says this is really cool, but another part of me says that the money could be better spent.

Hopefully this'll be used well and will actually be advantageous.
    Then again, it could start an arms race. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    So it's a "laser."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    So it's a "laser."

:lol:

Do you know who Kim Jong Un reminds me of? Dr. Evil! :ahee: They're both always holding the world to ransom!

ReputationRep:
    Nuts to the laser, I wanna see some Rail Gun action. Come on America, do eeeet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steevee)
    Nuts to the laser, I wanna see some Rail Gun action. Come on America, do eeeet.
    They certainly have enough funds and expertise for it. I'm sure the equivalent of the iPhone 10 or something is already available to the military industrial complex.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanSupremacist)
    They certainly have enough funds and expertise for it. I'm sure the equivalent of the iPhone 10 or something is already available to the military industrial complex.
    They already have one I think, they've just not used it in anger. Or at least they had one that was past development and into prototype testing as far as I recall.

Having taken a look at the old stuff I was reading, there's been a ton of prototypes and the US Navy may phase one rail gun into use as early as 2025. They have the tech but at the moment some of the logistics are the problem with making them a viable weapons system.

ReputationRep:
    Why the **** are the USA spending billions on stupid pointless laser designs when really inspirational programs such as NASA are being ignored

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bonoahx)
    Because they're actually cheaper than conventional weapons. So by using things like this they're saving money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    So it's a "laser."

Here's the plan. We get the warhead and we hold the world ransom for... ONE MILLION DOLLARS!

(Original post by Drewski)
    Because they're actually cheaper than conventional weapons. So by using things like this they're saving money.
    Well if it saves money then that's actually pretty amazing. Can it be used on more than planes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FuLLuPMepOrtION)
    Why the **** are the USA spending billions on stupid pointless laser designs when really inspirational programs such as NASA are being ignored
    YOU THINK THE LASER IS AWESOME

WAIT TILL YOU SEE THIS

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 14, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.