Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is a ideal age gap for a couple? watch

• View Poll Results: What is the ideal age gap for you?
    Am Male - Same Age
    3.37%
    Am Male - There is no ideal age gap
    16.85%
    Am Male - 1 Year
    5.62%
    Am Male - 2-3 Years
    8.99%
    Am Male - 4-5 Years
    1.12%
    Am Male 5+ Years
    2.25%
    Am Female - Same Age
    5.62%
    Am Female - There is no ideal age gap
    31.46%
    Am Female - 1 Year
    2.25%
    Am Female - 2-3 Years
    16.85%
    Am Female - 4-5 Years
    4.49%
    Am Female - 5+ years
    1.12%

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys;

Well, I was just thinking but what do you think the ideal age gap is for a couple where the youngest (or both) are at least 18? Some people say he is too old/too young or the same if the partner is female and was wondering what your views are on an age gap in a relationship?

I don't know if I consider an age gap to be entirely necessary nor do I consider them being the same age to be necessary either.

However, like I said, the youngest partner is THIS SITUATION is at least 18 years old.

EDIT:
    Also, would you like your partner to be older, younger or the same age as you?

ReputationRep:
    Having gone more than 5 years younger and older than past partners, I honestly don't think there's an ideal gap for me. I haven't found much compatibility difference in those relationships I've been in with larger age gaps compared to those when we've been the same age/closer. There are too many other factors to consider, and age is a pretty minor variable.

Think I'll have to roll out the 'age is just a number' cliché; at least to an extent. People vary too much in terms of who they are at whatever age, and I wouldn't like to place an 'ideal' number on it. Age can provide a rough guide but even the 'average' member of any age group probably doesn't represent the majority of people in that group very well on most levels.

ReputationRep:
    Is there such a thing? Doesn't it also depend on other things too?

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't really matter to me, I would date someone who is of a similar 'maturity age' to me rather than actual age. I would prefer to date someone older than me but there would be nothing worse than being with someone who was a few years older but acted like they were a few years younger.

ReputationRep:
    As long as your happy, have things in common and love each other and if one is older than the other doesn't treat their other half as if they are younger.

As long as the two people involved are happy, I don't see why anyone else's opinion matters because they're not in the relationship with them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    The one where both people love each other?

ReputationRep:
    I tend to be attracted to guys who are around my age. Personally I find it easier relating to a guy if we can share laughs and get nostalgic about our childhoods growing up in the 90s and early 00s. However, each to their own, as long as both people in the relationship are happy.

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends far more on the people themselves than their ages. My boyfriend is 13 years older than me which we both find very strange when we actually remember the fact, but we've been happily together for over two years and I wouldn't swap him for anyone in the world!

ReputationRep:
    1.62 years Older. No more, no less.

ReputationRep:
    I tend to get attracted to guys who are 4-5 years older than me, but I think if I found someone who got on well with me who was 2-3 years older, at this stage I would prefer it.

ReputationRep:
    Spartan men would be paired with seventeen year old girls when in their early thirties. I'll go with that.

ReputationRep:
    If your both over 18 then age is just a number as far as I'm concerned... The older you get the less relevant an age gap becomes because it's a much smaller portion of you life

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm eighteen months older than my boyfriend, but for the most part, he's the one who seems older. We're at the same maturity level (and I look young for my age), so people can't usually tell that there is an age gap. Besides, we love each other and that's what matters.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say 2-3 years, simply because then you'll be likely to be at similar stages in your life/education/career etc.

My boyfriend is 4 years older, which I don't consider as an age gap and always forget it to be honest. At the end of the day, I don't think it really matters

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there is an ideal age gap. Just the ideal person. It's not like I asked any of my past partners for ID. If we got on, then great. If not, then I moved on.

I agree with the person saying it's nice to be at the same stage in life. But I don't think that always relates to age. Taking procreation as an example, one person may be ready at 21 and another not until they're 39.

ReputationRep:
    Age is but a number ..... time is but a window, death is but a door .... I'll be back!

Oops, I drifted into a movie scene from Ghostbusters!

I'm sort of surprised people are saying they don't mind the age, but yet when I meet girls, one of the first few things they seem to ask is my age, not all but a fair few! I look about my age, 24, wouldn't say I appear much younger or older than that. I personally wouldn't want very much younger in the fear of feeling old and outdated in tastes, as in it would be nice to have things in common in terms of music, movies etc. I definitely wouldn't want her to be much (if at all) older than me, that would be sort of strange for me, feel like I was the "kid" in the relationship (if that makes any sense)!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    you are as old as the person you feel

ReputationRep:
    I think it's nicer for the male to be 2 -3 years older - because he will probably have matured - and I personally think some girls are more mature than some males - so it's quite perfect having someone slightly older who usually takes the relationship seriously !

ReputationRep:
    I'm 18 and I go for maturity and I prefer older, how much older though, I don't care.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 12, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.