Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Arab Slave Trade - Should Arab Countries Pay Reparations To European and African.... Watch

ReputationRep:
    Past powerful Arab states and Empires enslaved millions of the then weaker White Europeans and millions of Africans. Such occurred for several centuries.

Therefore, should Arab states pay reparations to European and African states for the Arab Slave Trade?

Discuss.

ReputationRep:
    no they shouldnt - i see no reason why a country should be accepting responsibility for actions that no one alive today was a part of

ReputationRep:
    I don't agree with the idea of reparations (for the reason stated by silverbolt), but I'm fairly sure that much of the Arab slave trade involved same-country issues anyway (i.e. the slavers and slaves came from the same country/region), especially in Northern Africa. It's also probably not reliably documented to the extent the transatlantic trade was.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    no they shouldnt - i see no reason why a country should be accepting responsibility for actions that no one alive today was a part of
    Does that mean that all black slaves should have to give the money they got back?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiss)
    Does that mean that all black slaves should have to give the money they got back?
    How are black slaves alive but none of the people responsible alive?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    No; none of the people alive today had anything to do with it, so for some people to pay others for inheriting the past is backwards. Besides, money will be of little consolation to those who had their lives stolen.

Better is for Arab nations to get their acts together and start respecting human rights, but I can only dream.

ReputationRep:
    interesting post.

the arabs started enslaving sub saharan africans beginning in the 7th century and it did not end until the 20th century -- saudi arabia did not abolish slavery until 1962.

so, that almost one thousand five hundred years. both in terms of timescale and numbers the arab trade absolutely dwarfs european involvement.

interesting video here from an arab scholar.

ReputationRep:
    interesting post.

the arabs started enslaving sub saharan africans beginning in the 7th century and it did not end until the 20th century -- saudi arabia did not abolish slavery until 1962.

so, that almost one thousand five hundred years. both in terms of timescale and numbers the arab trade absolutely dwarfs european involvement.

the arab enslavement of europeans was lot smaller. estimates range from between 1.5 - 3 million slaves over a 300 year period between 1600's and 1900's.

interesting short video here from an arab scholar:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by guitargirllegend)
    interesting post.

interesting video here from an arab scholar.

Firstly, the people in the middle east had been enslaving people (including Africans) for thousands of years before Muhammed (PBH). Secondly, the teachings of Islam encourages one set slaves free as it is a good deed, also, if one's slave asks for freedom, one must grant their request.

Yes, the Arab slave trade surpasses the Europeans in terms of time, but not in the number nor the inhuman treatment of the slaves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanSupremacist)
    Past powerful Arab states and Empires enslaved millions of the then weaker White Europeans and millions of Africans. Such occurred for several centuries.

Therefore, should Arab states pay reparations to European and African states for the Arab Slave Trade?

Discuss.
    I find it incredible how the entire history of the Arab/Muslim slave trade was WIPED UNDER THE CARPET! In school, the Marxist, Ultra-Leftist curriculum taught the history of slavery as : White men enslaving poor Blacks for no apparent reason. They still do!

Furthermore, They taught us that slavery was a RACIAL agenda. That the slaves were taken and mistreated not for the purpose of LABOUR but for RACISM! we didn't learn about the 'Trade', in fact they never told us it was a trade at all. But that the slaves were captured andnd dragged onto ships to America! All at one time! It was only after I conducted my own research I saw the absolute bias, minsinformation spread to me deliberately by the ultra leftist education system. It wasn't hard for me too see what they were trying to do with his 'information'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SexyNerd)
    Firstly, the people in the middle east had been enslaving people (including Africans) for thousands of years before Muhammed (PBH). Secondly, the teachings of Islam encourages one set slaves free as it is a good deed, also, if one's slave asks for freedom, one must grant their request.

yes, sure. i am not trying to blame religion here. just because religious text says something ti does not mean people follow it.

ReputationRep:
    Most of the African Slaves bought to Arabia did not survive. Most bought to America, did. Most were also deported back to African after they ended their slavery in the 70's. Their are barely an remenemts of the African slaves in Arabia at all today. Many of them were slaughtered in fact.

Not to mention the amount of Black males that were castrated during that time. That's pretty inhumane. Slavery is slavery to me. I don't think Arabs having slaves was any worse then Egyptians, Americans, etc. That's basically clutching at straws.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanSupremacist)

Discuss.
    If you start going down that road. Most of the countries at some point will have to pay some sort of compensation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slickrick666999)
    I find it incredible how the entire history of the Arab/Muslim slave trade was WIPED UNDER THE CARPET! In school, the Marxist, Ultra-Leftist curriculum taught the history of slavery as : White men enslaving poor Blacks for no apparent reason. They still do!

Furthermore, They taught us that slavery was a RACIAL agenda. That the slaves were taken and mistreated not for the purpose of LABOUR but for RACISM! we didn't learn about the 'Trade', in fact they never told us it was a trade at all. But that the slaves were captured andnd dragged onto ships to America! All at one time! It was only after I conducted my own research I saw the absolute bias, minsinformation spread to me deliberately by the ultra leftist education system. It wasn't hard for me too see what they were trying to do with his 'information'.

it is quite bizarre how the history of slavery is taught. i am not a conspiracy theorist but i do believe the way the subject is taught is designed to stir up division and conflict.

not only do they completely over exaggerate the european involvement in region, but they also completely skip by the arab involvement which, along with indigenous slave practices had entrenched very complex slave system and routes long before europeans arrived.

in fact, the europeans did not actually enslave anyone, they purchased their slaves from arabs and africans themselves.

on hearing of the british attempts to abolish the trade, the king of bonny ( nigeria) said: "We think this trade must go on. That is the verdict of our oracle and the priests. They say that your country, however great, can never stop a trade ordained by God himself."

ReputationRep:
    What about the Africans that sold the slaves to the Arabs?

It was business, It only started to become a racial issue in some parts of the globe. History of slavery surpasses written records.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Most of the African Slaves bought to Arabia did not survive. Most bought to America, did. Most were also deported back to African after they ended their slavery in the 70's. Their are barely an remenemts of the African slaves in Arabia at all today. Many of them were slaughtered in fact.

Not to mention the amount of Black males that were castrated during that time. That's pretty inhumane. Slavery is slavery to me. I don't think Arabs having slaves was any worse then Egyptians, Americans, etc. That's basically clutching at straws.
    Really, can you provide a non biased source for your claims. I agree, slavery is bad, full stop. However, it is not the Muslim slave trade (firstly existed before Muhammed (PBH), just like its not the Christian slave trade. Indeed, it is wiped under the carpet just like the rest of the beautiful middle eastern history.

Also, I don't think we are taught it was just a racial thing, as a matter of fact, I was taught it was for labour, however, I do think it was a very racial thing, and it also has to do with the teachings of the Bible, as it does mention the "black" man is destined to be the :white" mans slave.

ReputationRep:

its true that most of the african males were castrated by the arabs. the women were kept for the harems so i believe some mixing took place there.

also, some pockets of african slaves survived in the arab worlds -- in iraq for example there is 2 million black descendants living there.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/baby...d-black-i.html

saudi arabia also has a high percentage of black people. it did not abolish slavery until 1962. 20% of its population were slaves at the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by guitargirllegend)
    it is quite bizarre how the history of slavery is taught. i am not a conspiracy theorist but i do believe the way the subject is taught is designed to stir up division and conflict.

not only do they completely over exaggerate the european involvement in region, but they also completely skip by the arab involvement which, along with indigenous slave practices had entrenched very complex slave system and routes long before europeans arrived.

in fact, the europeans did not actually enslave anyone, they purchased their slaves from arabs and africans themselves.

on hearing of the british attempts to abolish the trade, the king of bonny ( nigeria) said: "We think this trade must go on. That is the verdict of our oracle and the priests. They say that your country, however great, can never stop a trade ordained by God himself."
    you obviously don't know much about western colonialism. The third world is a direct result of western colonialism, it did not exist before the western countries colonialised the now "third world" countries and robbed them of their wealth.

ReputationRep:
    why should anybody pay reparations for crimes committed by their long dead ancestors to the descendants of their long dead victims?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SexyNerd)
    Really, can you provide a non biased source for your claims. I agree, slavery is bad, full stop. However, it is not the Muslim slave trade (firstly existed before Muhammed (PBH), just like its not the Christian slave trade. Indeed, it is wiped under the carpet just like the rest of the beautiful middle eastern history.

Also, I don't think we are taught it was just a racial thing, as a matter of fact, I was taught it was for labour, however, I do think it was a very racial thing, and it also has to do with the teachings of the Bible, as it does mention the "black" man is destined to be the :white" mans slave.
    The Bible doesn't teach that Black people are White peoples slaves..wtf.
    Also, to say Colonialism is the reason that every single 3rd world country is third is the most ridiculous piece of propaganda I have ever heard.

Africa & The Middle East are the richest in resources yet are still third world country's. Germany was destroyed in WW2 yet look at it now. Third world country's are just economic failures, unable to build their own societies so they blame everybody else. Their governments are corrupt also. Dissary in those countries isn't just economically either. It's socially too with mass violence, conflict & war. It's a catastrophe all round, on every level. Some still live in stone ages it would seem and their are countless of oppressive regimes. That's their own problem.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.