Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Yesterday we sadly lost one of the most divisive and memorable figures of the 20th Century. I live in the North of England, and support many of the views that Lady Thatcher ruined our area's industry. However, is it right to celebrate the death, of anyone, never mind an ex-PM? Also, why do people in my area struggle to look past these mistakes and towards the many positives she provided for Great Britain?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _JC95)
    Yesterday we sadly lost one of the most divisive and memorable figures of the 20th Century. I live in the North of England, and support many of the views that Lady Thatcher ruined our area's industry. However, is it right to celebrate the death, of anyone, never mind an ex-PM? Also, why do people in my area struggle to look past these mistakes and towards the many positives she provided for Great Britain?

Interesting news story on radio 4 this evening. About 50% of the population weren't even born when she was PM or were children. That's why I'm suprised with the youth element celebrating her death. Yet another example of the left wing getting angry about things they don't understand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    Interesting news story on radio 4 this evening. About 50% of the population weren't even born when she was PM or were children. That's why I'm suprised with the youth element celebrating her death. Yet another example of the left wing getting angry about things they don't understand.
    Well, I too am only 17 and therefore cannot fully evaluate, however it is still possible to analyse as I have learnt about her at A Level, read extensively about her and know all of her policies - therefore the youth who do know what she did should be allowed to form their own opinion of her and her policies, right?

As for saying 'the left wing getting angry about things they don't understand' that could be perceived as being quite rude. The Left Wing can contain just as much intellect as the right and just because we may not have seen Thatcher in the same light as the right-wing, it certainly does not mean we do not 'understand'. That would be another opinion that is pretentious and obnoxious of Tory supporters.

As for Thatcher, I certainly could never justifying anyone celebrating her death, but growing up in a mining community it cannot be looked past at the way our communities were destroyed and the way we were treat as 'the enemy within'. Not only the mines, but the steelworks (Britain of course being world-renowned for the steel industry) were also tarred with the same brush.

However, having studied Thatcher I also know a great deal of positives about her reign, especially in international relations, and I do believe she instilled the Great back into Britain. I believe to a certain extent in the free market, but she took the free market to an overwhelming level. Her interference lead to internal markets and private hospital trusts within the NHS - something which should not have been tampered with.

Replacing LEA school management with LMS has also had negative implications in recent years due to governors being incapable to manage schools efficiently enough, and simply agreeing with the headteachers. She did lower taxation rates, but also raised indirect taxation such as VAT -meaning that there was very little redistribution of wealth.

Of course her 'Right to Buy' policy was a success- but she failed to follow this up with extensive building schemes - meaning that today we have very few council homes available to those who cannot afford to buy their own properties.

Apart from the mass unemployment caused by the closing of the pits it was obviously necessary due to us being the Sick man of Europe, run by the trade unions. But the cruel way in which she instructed the police to act against 'the enemy' was appalling, leading to people I know personally being arrested for no defining reason. The brutality adopted by South Yorkshire police on pickets under her command was dreadful. I fully support the closing of mines which were no longer profitable and also support the 1980 Employment Act, however I detest the way in which she personally treat the miners as 'the enemy', crushing communities without a second thought and providing little employment replacements for these communities.

But as for her character and overall British political success, I do perceive her as the best PM since Attlee due to her courage, determination and sheer political talent, something which we see in NONE of today's politicians. Watching the Commons today and seeing Thatcher's close friend Conor Burns speech I completely agreed with everything which he said.

So, my opinion on Thatcher is completely 50/50, but your suggestible comment about the left-wing is completely unfair, everyone can understand just as equally no matter what their political opinions are - it just depends how you perceive that understanding.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _JC95)
    Well, I too am only 17 and therefore cannot fully evaluate, however it is still possible to analyse as I have learnt about her at A Level, read extensively about her and know all of her policies - therefore the youth who do know what she did should be allowed to form their own opinion of her and her policies, right?

As for saying 'the left wing getting angry about things they don't understand' that could be perceived as being quite rude. The Left Wing can contain just as much intellect as the right and just because we may not have seen Thatcher in the same light as the right-wing, it certainly does not mean we do not 'understand'. That would be another opinion that is pretentious and obnoxious of Tory supporters.

As for Thatcher, I certainly could never justifying anyone celebrating her death, but growing up in a mining community it cannot be looked past at the way our communities were destroyed and the way we were treat as 'the enemy within'. Not only the mines, but the steelworks (Britain of course being world-renowned for the steel industry) were also tarred with the same brush.

However, having studied Thatcher I also know a great deal of positives about her reign, especially in international relations, and I do believe she instilled the Great back into Britain. I believe to a certain extent in the free market, but she took the free market to an overwhelming level. Her interference lead to internal markets and private hospital trusts within the NHS - something which should not have been tampered with.

Replacing LEA school management with LMS has also had negative implications in recent years due to governors being incapable to manage schools efficiently enough, and simply agreeing with the headteachers. She did lower taxation rates, but also raised indirect taxation such as VAT -meaning that there was very little redistribution of wealth.

Of course her 'Right to Buy' policy was a success- but she failed to follow this up with extensive building schemes - meaning that today we have very few council homes available to those who cannot afford to buy their own properties.

Apart from the mass unemployment caused by the closing of the pits it was obviously necessary due to us being the Sick man of Europe, run by the trade unions. But the cruel way in which she instructed the police to act against 'the enemy' was appalling, leading to people I know personally being arrested for no defining reason. The brutality adopted by South Yorkshire police on pickets under her command was dreadful. I fully support the closing of mines which were no longer profitable and also support the 1980 Employment Act, however I detest the way in which she personally treat the miners as 'the enemy', crushing communities without a second thought and providing little employment replacements for these communities.

But as for her character and overall British political success, I do perceive her as the best PM since Attlee due to her courage, determination and sheer political talent, something which we see in NONE of today's politicians. Watching the Commons today and seeing Thatcher's close friend Conor Burns speech I completely agreed with everything which he said.

So, my opinion on Thatcher is completely 50/50, but your suggestible comment about the left-wing is completely unfair, everyone can understand just as equally no matter what their political opinions are - it just depends how you perceive that understanding.
    They did actually cover the issue that for many their only understanding of Thatcher would be an A level history module.

The Jury is still out on Thatcher. I liken her to being like one of the drivers behind the industrial revolution. Overall it was good, but at the time craftsmen working in cottage industrys were affected.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _JC95)

What a refreshing perpsective

Although I would say that Arthur Scargill is as much responsible for the 'Enemy within' situation and it's escalation. Equally, plenty of the miners on the pickets were rather brutish too.

ReputationRep:
    I was shocked to hear of these street parties, if it was after she just left office then ok, but after an old lady's death? Really quite sickening.

ReputationRep:
    It's ridiculous to celebrate someone's death, no matter what they have done a life is a life. I can understand celebrating the end of a regime but not celebrating death, that just seems cruel. I can't imagine what it would be like to not only be grieving for your parent but also having to go through seeing people celebrate their death.

ReputationRep:
    I did not live through Thatcher, yet feel I know enough about her and the impact she had on Britain to form an opinion on what she did and whether or not it was positive. For me, being from Scotland, I certainly feel she did not endear herself to the Scottish people. However to celebrate and mock the death of someone who was essentially a frail elderly woman is deplorable and disgusting. I did not celebrate her death, even though I think she did some horrendous things whilst in power, (reducing taxes on the rich, snatching milk from school kids and the way she dealt with the Hillsborough tragedy) yet she definitely went some way to re-establishing the UK as a respected and revered world power, for which she should be commended.

In summary, celebrating her death is wrong. It is okay for people to feel unmoved and indifferent, however celebrating her death is just insulting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    The Jury is still out on Thatcher. I liken her to being like one of the drivers behind the industrial revolution. Overall it was good, but at the time craftsmen working in cottage industrys were affected.
    That is an invalid comparison. The industrial revolution was incredible, transforming the economies and industries of nations across the globe. Yes, the craftsmen with their skills may have been lost, but all of these people were then mass employed by the new industrial factories and industries. Therefore there was an alternative. On the other hand when Thatcher closed the pits it was by no means a 'revolution' with no proper skilled employment replacement and therefore the negative social impact would have been much greater than when the industrial revolution replaced cottage craftsmen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steevee)
    What a refreshing perpsective

Although I would say that Arthur Scargill is as much responsible for the 'Enemy within' situation and it's escalation. Equally, plenty of the miners on the pickets were rather brutish too.
    Why, thanks. Oh and I would completely agree, Scargill did nothing to help the NUM's situation. He was as equally obnoxious and wrongly-ruthless. And I recognise the fact that many miners were brutal, but the videos which show police cavalier having to chase away miners in Yorkshire have a biased slant, as many were simply peaceful protesters being arrested/violently suppressed by the police under Thatcher's command. I do admit to, however, knowing little about picket and police action across the rest of the country.

ReputationRep:
    Regardless of what we thought of Margaret Thatcher or anyone who has died, we should not celebrate a death.

ReputationRep:
    Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't the whole basis of Easter celebrating the death of Jesus?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calum66222)
    I did not live through Thatcher, yet feel I know enough about her and the impact she had on Britain to form an opinion on what she did and whether or not it was positive. For me, being from Scotland, I certainly feel she did not endear herself to the Scottish people. However to celebrate and mock the death of someone who was essentially a frail elderly woman is deplorable and disgusting. I did not celebrate her death, even though I think she did some horrendous things whilst in power, (reducing taxes on the rich, snatching milk from school kids and the way she dealt with the Hillsborough tragedy) yet she definitely went some way to re-establishing the UK as a respected and revered world power, for which she should be commended.

In summary, celebrating her death is wrong. It is okay for people to feel unmoved and indifferent, however celebrating her death is just insulting.
    Similarly, I feel she could also have endeared herself to all of the North of Great Britain. If the North-South divide had not started to appear once more under her reign, she may have seen more Northern support. As for your comment concerning the reducing of taxes on the rich - I support this to a certain extent as it would attract more foreign businessmen to London and boost the economy, and 98% was certainly too high of a top rate of tax, out of slant with other nations. She dealt with the Hillsborough tragedy awfully, but as for the milk-snatching policy, in contrast with other left-wingers I don't really see the significance of it, it was simply used by Labour as political propaganda.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rcummins1)
    Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't the whole basis of Easter celebrating the death of Jesus?
    Easter Sunday celebrates Our Lord's rising from the dead.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.