Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering why Southampton is rated so highly by the guardian and other timetables, I have viewed a few rated by modern languages and it is third on most of them. Why is this seeing as it is much lower down in other subjects? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't know for sure, but I applied there for BA French and Spanish starting in 2013 and since went on an open day and the facilities there for Languages are amazing! So many resources such as libraries, IT suites and a media suite with hundreds of films etc!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by isabellerhart)
    I don't know for sure, but I applied there for BA French and Spanish starting in 2013 and since went on an open day and the facilities there for Languages are amazing! So many resources such as libraries, IT suites and a media suite with hundreds of films etc!
    Thanks for the reply that's exactly what I'm thinking of applying for in 2014. If you don't mind me asking, where else did you apply for and why for the subjects? There are so many to choose from haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex2424)
    Thanks for the reply that's exactly what I'm thinking of applying for in 2014. If you don't mind me asking, where else did you apply for and why for the subjects? There are so many to choose from haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Great! I also applied to Leeds and Liverpool for French and Spanish, Newcastle for Modern Languages (with the option to do a third one) and Bristol - originally for French and Spanish but they didn't have any places on that so I changed it to French and Portuguese! I remember trying to narrow it down, and now I don't even want to go to Leeds, Liverpool or Newcastle haha. I'd say, apply to some with higher entry requirements as a target, but then some with lower, as a reserve. E.g Bristol is AAB but Liverpool is BBB.
    I think this week I'm going to put Soton as my firm simply because the course looks so good there!

ReputationRep:
    Great! I also applied to Leeds and Liverpool for French and Spanish, Newcastle for Modern Languages (with the option to do a third one) and Bristol - originally for French and Spanish but they didn't have any places on that so I changed it to French and Portuguese! I remember trying to narrow it down, and now I don't even want to go to Leeds, Liverpool or Newcastle haha. I'd say, apply to some with higher entry requirements as a target, but then some with lower, as a reserve. E.g Bristol is AAB but Liverpool is BBB.
    I think this week I'm going to put Soton as my firm simply because the course looks so good there!
    Good to meet another linguist! Yeah I was thinking of Bristol, as well as St. Andrews, maybe bath, Southampton, Oxford as very optimistic, and maybe Essex as my back up. How were your interviews? And what subjects/grades did you get at as level if you don't mind

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Good to meet another linguist! Yeah I was thinking of Bristol, as well as St. Andrews, maybe bath, Southampton, Oxford as very optimistic, and maybe Essex as my back up. How were your interviews? And what subjects/grades did you get at as level if you don't mind

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I looked at St. Andrews, Bath and Oxford (also very optimistic)! I only had one interview and that was at Southampton, it was a really nice day as it involved like talks and tours etc of both campuses then at the end of the day we all had interviews. Mine was with a History teacher as he taught on the French course and it was just a really relaxed sort of informal chat as to why we wanted to go there and just about what aspects of the course we were excited about. It's really not difficult at all, and the day meant that I met a load of other people who were all applying for languages! I did French, Spanish, Music and Psychology at AS and got AADC (in order), then this year I've not yet done my exams but I'm hoping for AAA maybe a B in Psychology, it's definitely going to be a lot of hard work! What are you doing at the moment and what sort of grades are you looking at?

ReputationRep:
    I looked at St. Andrews, Bath and Oxford (also very optimistic)! I only had one interview and that was at Southampton, it was a really nice day as it involved like talks and tours etc of both campuses then at the end of the day we all had interviews. Mine was with a History teacher as he taught on the French course and it was just a really relaxed sort of informal chat as to why we wanted to go there and just about what aspects of the course we were excited about. It's really not difficult at all, and the day meant that I met a load of other people who were all applying for languages! I did French, Spanish, Music and Psychology at AS and got AADC (in order), then this year I've not yet done my exams but I'm hoping for AAA maybe a B in Psychology, it's definitely going to be a lot of hard work! What are you doing at the moment and what sort of grades are you looking at?
    Ah that sounds good, not like the Oxford interview I've heard about. I'm doing French, Spanish, philosophy and politics, hoping for AAAB, should really be getting A's in languages. What offers have ou got? Are they all conditional AAB or ABB?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ah that sounds good, not like the Oxford interview I've heard about. I'm doing French, Spanish, philosophy and politics, hoping for AAAB, should really be getting A's in languages. What offers have ou got? Are they all conditional AAB or ABB?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sounds great! 2 offers are AAB, 2 more are ABB and one is BBB and they are all conditionals.

ReputationRep:
    If you just look at the tables you'll see why Southampton comes third (or why any uni places where it does): look at the criteria used for the ranking. In the Guardian table, for Southampton, spend per student is high, student:staff ratio is low. Satisfaction scores are also high, though this may not be anything worth taking into account. The surveys are made available at different times by different unis and most of them try to do it when the students are unlikely to be thinking of any of the negative points. It could be a sign of something good at Southampton; equally it could not. These are not 'prestige' rankings, though tables such as these can be one of the causes of perceived prestige changing.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds great! 2 offers are AAB, 2 more are ABB and one is BBB and they are all conditionals.
    Nice, good luck for your exams, let me know where you end up haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

I went to Southampton to study languages and it was amazing. I'd recommend the uni to anyone wanting to pursue a languages degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by translation)
    Hey!

I went to Southampton to study languages and it was amazing. I'd recommend the uni to anyone wanting to pursue a languages degree.
    Hi, thanks for the reply. Do you mind telling me why you went there and what was so good about it, as well as where else you applied to, thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I liked that there was so much choice in terms of modules, I wasn't forced to do any literature at all which suited me. The lecturers are passionate about their subject and it shows. I started Spanish from scratch and made fantastic progress. Sheffield was my reserve choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by translation)
    Hey!

Hey what degree did you do and where did it lead you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goosegogs)
    Hey what degree did you do and where did it lead you?
    I did BA French and Spanish (ab initio). I also did linguistics based - no literature wahey!

I really enjoyed translation at uni and knew I wanted a career using langs. So I did a translation MA and I now work as an in house translator.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.