The Student Room Group

What are you doing at A-level?

I was just wondering what subjects you guys were considering doing at A-level? & how have you decided what to pick?

:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hi again.

Have posted this at least 5 times this week, but anyway...

Maths- Love it
F. Maths- Same as above
Physics- Like it- Complements the above two
Chemistry- Wasn't going to take Biology or Geography and enjoy it.
Original post by dandaman7771
Hi again.

Have posted this at least 5 times this week, but anyway...

Maths- Love it
F. Maths- Same as above
Physics- Like it- Complements the above two
Chemistry- Wasn't going to take Biology or Geography and enjoy it.

Do you do the maths exam in January?

I am considering doing maths as in my last mock gained an A* but am worrying if a-level will be a huge step up and i will end up falling behind. Do you have any idea what you want to do in the future?
Reply 3
Original post by Peace&Love
Do you do the maths exam in January?

I am considering doing maths as in my last mock gained an A* but am worrying if a-level will be a huge step up and i will end up falling behind. Do you have any idea what you want to do in the future?

Work hard and understand the concepts, A-level maths is not a massive step up, I got a B in gcse but near full marks on the first alevel exam, all you need to do is work hard and effectively
Not quite sure which maths exam you mean, I already have my A* at GCSE but won't be sitting any AS exams till next Jan. As for future prospects, at the moment I want to study Maths, but that could still be subject to change. :smile:
Original post by dandaman7771
Not quite sure which maths exam you mean, I already have my A* at GCSE but won't be sitting any AS exams till next Jan. As for future prospects, at the moment I want to study Maths, but that could still be subject to change. :smile:

Well I did the maths exam in january (GCSE) as having done a maths exam since obtaining a C in year 9. So your a maths nerd then :smile:
Original post by Robbie242
Work hard and understand the concepts, A-level maths is not a massive step up, I got a B in gcse but near full marks on the first alevel exam, all you need to do is work hard and effectively

When you say work hard, how many hours of revision is this in a week? :smile:
Reply 7
When you say work hard, how many hours of revision is this in a week? :smile:
For Core 1 I did 1-3hours a day depending on the day obviously, but that's obviously because I was behind on my material (due to not experiencing it at gcse) then as the exam got closer I did a past paper a day and it worked a treat, got 98ums. For Core 2 and S1 I'm doing much more though, but that's because I want top marks to do maths at Cambridge, to get an A its not that hard at all
I take History, Bio, English Lit, RS and EPQ :smile: I would say choose subjects you really enjoy because you will enjoy them a whole lot more at A-Level :biggrin:
Reply 9
I choose Maths, Further Maths, Biology and History, reasons being I love Maths and that's what I want to do at uni, and I love history as it was a really interesting GCSE and is a great A Level. As for Biology, I would probably preferred Physics but was in the same block as History so went for Biology instead.

If you know what uni course you wish to do, select complementary subjects, if not choose the subjects off the facilitating list that you most enjoy :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
For Core 1 I did 1-3hours a day depending on the day obviously, but that's obviously because I was behind on my material (due to not experiencing it at gcse) then as the exam got closer I did a past paper a day and it worked a treat, got 98ums. For Core 2 and S1 I'm doing much more though, but that's because I want top marks to do maths at Cambridge, to get an A its not that hard at all

That seems like lots of revision. You are very determined and have amazing aspirations. What other a-levels are you doing alongside maths?
Reply 11
That seems like lots of revision. You are very determined and have amazing aspirations. What other a-levels are you doing alongside maths?
Thanks! :biggrin:
I'm doing further maths (self taught), econ and history as well, I've got a lot going on maths, to prove my teachers wrong who didn't let me sit Further maths at first :P
Maths
Further Maths
Physics
Chemistry
Biology

It wasn't difficult to choose, I really like these subjects. I was a bit unsure about whether to take Biology or not because everyone says doing five is difficult and I'm not as good at Biology anyway, but I chose it because if I change my mind, the school says they will let me drop it immediately, whereas picking it up having not picked it would be more difficult.
Thanks! :biggrin:
I'm doing further maths (self taught), econ and history as well, I've got a lot going on maths, to prove my teachers wrong who didn't let me sit Further maths at first :P

Are you sitting the further maths at your school or another centre?
Original post by mitchellshazia
Maths
Further Maths
Physics
Chemistry
Biology

It wasn't difficult to choose, I really like these subjects. I was a bit unsure about whether to take Biology or not because everyone says doing five is difficult and I'm not as good at Biology anyway, but I chose it because if I change my mind, the school says they will let me drop it immediately, whereas picking it up having not picked it would be more difficult.

What are your career aspirations?
Biology - love me some biology
Chemistry - had to take it medicine, but quite enjoying it now
Physics - had to take a third science to apply to Cambridge... not enjoying so much
History (only for AS) - was good at it :banana:
Reply 16
Are you sitting the further maths at your school or another centre?

At my school, though I'm not in actual lessons, they wouldn't enter me for the Jan further maths until my first alevel exam result came back, so sitting all 3 modules this summer (M1,S2 and FP1) Confident on all of them moreso than history haha :biggrin:
Reply 17
Maths
Chemistry
Business & Economics (combined)
Physics

Regret taking physics since I'm not that strong at Maths. Were aiming for A* in maths +Business & Economics and A in the rest, but now B in physics would be good.
I wanted to do computer science (hence physics and maths) but now the physics ruined it and now concentrating on economics, aiming for LSE. Anyone on the same boat? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maths A-level is definetly do-able, you need to make sure you practice all exam questions, go over the hard questions and you will get good grades in the exams.

I was one mark off an A in my entire maths A-level :cry:
Reply 19
Btw how did everyone revise S1? I'm not too worried about C1 and C2 but S1 on the other hand. I don't know what's going on half the time :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest