Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Could somebody please explain how the requirements for undue influence have changed from Barclays v O'Brien [1993] and RBS v Etbridge (No.2) [2001]?

ReputationRep:
    I suppose you mean, since you're asking about land, what the bank needs to do in order not to be affected by the undue influence of husband over wife?

Just read Nicholls's judgment in Etridge.

ReputationRep:
    This line of cases gives us probably one of the most gullible specimens in the history of the law, poor old Ms Burch who signed an unlimited guarantee to prevent her employer's business going down the pan (for about 3 months). A transaction so stupid that one of the judgments states that even if the bank could prove she had sought independent legal advice, the guarantee would still be void for undue influence because she must have been so far under Mr Pelosi's spell that she automatically disregarded the advice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    I suppose you mean, since you're asking about land, what the bank needs to do in order not to be affected by the undue influence of husband over wife?

Just read Nicholls's judgment in Etridge.
    Yes, however my question is predominately focused on the evolution of such requirements from Barclays to Etbridge.
    I know the requirements under Etbridge, but I am not quite sure as to how they have evolved from Barclays. If you get where I am coming from?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.