Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I am not a massive gamer, but I am thinking about picking up a console to kill a bit of free time with, should I get the ps3 12gb or the Xbox 360 4gB?? I am not going to have loads of games at once, just one or two them trade them in.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    depends have a look at version exclusives and internet membership.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5830i

ReputationRep:
    I own both consoles, and would recommend the PS3. Both will run games at the same sort of speeds, but if you want to play online, you have to pay £40/year with the Xbox, whereas it's free on the PS3.

The only reason why you might want to buy the Xbox is if there are some 360 exclusives that you want, and if there aren't any for the PS3 that you like.

Also, bear in mind that we've got three important consoles coming out this year, with even more next year, so it's not the best time to get a console, unless money is important and you see the current-gen consoles being sold cheaply.

ReputationRep:
    I thought the ps3, but would 12gb be enough memory wise?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PlantVZombie)
    I thought the ps3, but would 12gb be enough memory wise?
    If you're only going to have a couple of games at a time, and you're not planning on downloading any videos or games it will probably be fine. On the other hand it does depend on the game because some do require you to install some data.

If you find it's not enough, it's fairly cheap to upgrade the hard disk on the PS3. I'm not familiar with the new models, but I think you can still upgrade the hard disk. A much bigger hard disk would only cost about £30 - £40, plus I think about £15 for a mounting bracket you need on the newer models.

ReputationRep:
    Hey man

It really comes down to exclusives, as PKMN TRN JAM mentioned. That said, I'd reccomend a PS3:

For shooters, it has Killzone and Resistance;
    For close quarter combat there's God of War and the Souls series;
    For... OTHER... there's Heavy Rain and Journey

And it goes on..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    If you're only going to have a couple of games at a time, and you're not planning on downloading any videos or games it will probably be fine. On the other hand it does depend on the game because some do require you to install some data.

If you find it's not enough, it's fairly cheap to upgrade the hard disk on the PS3. I'm not familiar with the new models, but I think you can still upgrade the hard disk. A much bigger hard disk would only cost about £30 - £40, plus I think about £15 for a mounting bracket you need on the newer models.
    All models of the PS3 can have their hard drive upgraded; it's very easy to do and doesn't invalidate the warranty. In fact, I'd actually recommend that the best way to buy a PS3 is to buy the cheapest model then upgrade the hard drive - it's very likely to work out as the most cost-effective option.
    (Original post by Treeroy)
    Also, bear in mind that we've got three important consoles coming out this year, with even more next year, so it's not the best time to get a console, unless money is important and you see the current-gen consoles being sold cheaply.
    You could argue this the other way, though - both consoles now have a huge back-catalogue of fantastic titles and, certainly for the PS3, there are still a good number of big-name titles still to come.

To the original question - my recommendation would be the PS3, but take a look at the exclusive titles of each system, what systems your friends own/play and whether you're happy with paying an annual subscription for online play. You might also want to research the benefits of Sony's 'Instant Game Collection' with their PlayStation Plus service.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    You could argue this the other way, though - both consoles now have a huge back-catalogue of fantastic titles and, certainly for the PS3, there are still a good number of big-name titles still to come.
    I wasn't saying that the Xbox has better exclusives, or the PS3 didn't have many; I said that if the OP prefers the Xbox exclusives to the PS3 ones after taking a look at them, then that might be a reason to get the Xbox.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Treeroy)
    I wasn't saying that the Xbox has better exclusives, or the PS3 didn't have many; I said that if the OP prefers the Xbox exclusives to the PS3 ones after taking a look at them, then that might be a reason to get the Xbox.
    Ah, sorry if my post came off the wrong way. I was meaning to pick up on your final point (which applies equally to both consoles) rather than your earlier comment re the Xbox specifically. Yes, I agree with you on this and I've edited my post to clarify which part of your post I was commenting on. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    Ah, sorry if my post came off the wrong way. I was meaning to pick up on your final point (which applies equally to both consoles) rather than your earlier comment re the Xbox specifically. Yes, I agree with you on this and I've edited my post to clarify which part of your post I was commenting on. :yes:
    Ah, I see. That makes more sense now.

ReputationRep:
    Don't buy the low capacity version, it is almost useless. 12 GB won't even be enough for game installs and save files, even if you only have a couple of games.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fudgemuffins)
    Don't buy the low capacity version, it is almost useless. 12 GB won't even be enough for game installs and save files, even if you only have a couple of games.
    This is why you upgrade the hard drive manually :yep: It's cheaper and allows you to get a higher capacity drive.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.