Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Thinking of getting my friends a thank you present Watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically this year for me have been quite stressful, both becuase of uni work and cos of personal reasons (mainly me fighting depression and my love life not going well) and i just wanted to get them a present to show my appricatation, however there are a few people i wanna send pressies to

My house mates
    My close best female friend
    Another friend where things didn't excatly work out too well (lets just say i had the option of getting with her and mucked it up, we are still friends though)

I'm on a uni budget so nothing expensive, i was just thinking of a small bouquet of flowers with a thank you note

ReputationRep:
    If you do not have much money then a Thank You note will be enough

ReputationRep:
    What about a thank you card and a large box of chocolates for your house mates to share?
    In Thorntons they have large boxes on special offer for less than £10. Or I am sure the supermarkets will have something

For your other friends just buy some smaller boxes or a bouquet of flowers for each of them

ReputationRep:
    I'd just pick up a quick box of chocolates for the housemates to share or, if you don't want to spend money, offer to do your housemates dishes for them. If you don't want to do that, just give them each a letter.
    As for the best female friend (quite a mouthful!) you could do the same as above or, as you suggested get her a small bunch of flowers.
    For the "friend where things didn't exactly work out too well" flowers could be confusing them into believing you still like them... I'm not really sure what to suggest here...
    Either way, I'd hand write them each a small letter just outlining all their good attributes (please god only their personality and traits as mentioning their look could be... disastrous) and how they've helped you.
    Just be lovely and good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I think that's an absolutely lovely idea and I'm sure your friends will too! It won't matter what you get them, they'll appreciate it all the same!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Wow. I admit, I have never seen an act of kindness like this before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willbean)
    Wow. I admit, I have never seen an act of kindness like this before.
    yeah well this yeah has been a real downer for me more times than i care to mention, and my friends have had to bare the brunt of it, now i did this once before with a seperate set of friends and those "friends" kinda shun me so wanna make sure thati i don't make same mistake with these friends

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tcrumpen)
    yeah well this yeah has been a real downer for me more times than i care to mention, and my friends have had to bare the brunt of it, now i did this once before with a seperate set of friends and those "friends" kinda shun me so wanna make sure thati i don't make same mistake with these friends
    I wouldn't know what to do if this happened to me, never received anything from friends worth anything except from personal insults that we trade.

Perhaps I'm too 'thick skinned'.

But you seem like a nice guy, I don't know why people would shun you for that. But then again, I don't know why anyone would hand out thank you letters for friends but that's just me.

Unfortunately, I'm too much of a **** to do such thing. Perhaps selfish and too prideful. I really don't know.

But this would give me something to think about.

ReputationRep:
    Write them a personalised note/letter and give it with something homemade like a cupcake you can make a lot for not alot of money

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't know what to do if this happened to me, never received anything from friends worth anything except from personal insults that we trade.

Perhaps I'm too 'thick skinned'.

But you seem like a nice guy, I don't know why people would shun you for that. But then again, I don't know why anyone would hand out thank you letters for friends but that's just me.

Unfortunately, I'm too much of a **** to do such thing. Perhaps selfish and too prideful. I really don't know.

But this would give me something to think about.
    well lets just say, i kinda put some of the blame on my "friends" and said i prefer my uni friends to friends back at home (which in hinesight was true, but i shouldn't have said it)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tcrumpen)
    well lets just say, i kinda put some of the blame on my "friends" and said i prefer my uni friends to friends back at home (which in hinesight was true, but i shouldn't have said it)
    Keep it up, nice to see an act of kindness once in a while. If a friend makes the effort to acknowledge you as a good friend and even thank you for it, then you know you actually have an actual true friend.

ReputationRep:
    This is a fantastic idea and I definitely agree with a box of chocolates for your house mates. Bear in mind that supermarkets usually do much cheaper Thorntons than in a Thorntons store, so you can get a lot more for a reasonable price!

...or Lindt, everyone loves them, right?

Though really, I'd be touched if I just received a thank you letter from a friend so you don't really need to spend anything if you're on a tight budget. I always find a framed picture of you and friends a nice gift to receive, but that one really depends what your friends are like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ItsSian)
    This is a fantastic idea and I definitely agree with a box of chocolates for your house mates. Bear in mind that supermarkets usually do much cheaper Thorntons than in a Thorntons store, so you can get a lot more for a reasonable price!

...or Lindt, everyone loves them, right?

Though really, I'd be touched if I just received a thank you letter from a friend so you don't really need to spend anything if you're on a tight budget. I always find a framed picture of you and friends a nice gift to receive, but that one really depends what your friends are like.
    Be careful here, op might be talking about male housemates and well, gay jokes are very common.

This is just asking to be be bullied. Harsh world but there it is. Buy them a a can of beer, that will do.

ReputationRep:
    Be careful here, op might be talking about male housemates and well, gay jokes are very common.

This is just asking to be be bullied. Harsh world but there it is. Buy them a a can of beer, that will do.
    I suppose, but I've never heard anyone being bullied because they shared around some free chocolates, if the OP's friends are manly get chocolates in the shape of boobs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ItsSian)
    I suppose, but I've never heard anyone being bullied because they shared around some free chocolates, if the OP's friends are manly get chocolates in the shape of boobs?
    It's lad culture, giving friends chocolate is well, 'gay'. That's it really. In fact, if I gave my friends a gift, in this case chocolate for being good friends, the first thing they will ask me will be if I was high, gay or both.

Just hand out a crate of beer, easily appreciated and more likely to get positive reactions.

ReputationRep:
    It's lad culture, giving friends chocolate is well, 'gay'. That's it really. In fact, if I gave my friends a gift, in this case chocolate for being good friends, the first thing they will ask me will be if I was high, gay or both.

Just hand out a crate of beer, easily appreciated and more likely to get positive reactions.
    It really depends on the house mates and their personalities, but I'm sure the OP knows their friends well enough to decide! To be honest, I know lots of guys who don't follow the typical "lad culture" and would enjoy free chocolate :P

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.