Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Putting protein into perspective Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend who's trying to bulk up in the gym but he's a bit short on money which means he's probably not getting as much protein as he could. He eats a lot of chicken so I was trying to see how much protein he's getting for his money.

*Note that the figures are rough so it's not 100% accurate but is a decent guide.

From Asda, you can get 930g of 'Butcher's Selection' Chicken Breast Fillets for £6.50, basically £7/kg. In that, there's 30.7g of protein per 100g. Note that unless there's an offer, chicken breast fillet is currently the cheapest at Asda. This gives you 30.7g of protein for 70p.

I also worked out the protein content of some Isolate Whey Protein from myprotein.co.uk, purely because it's the one I use, and it sells A LOT. The taste is good, the mixability is great, and the price is competitive.

A 5kg bag of chocolate mint protein (his favourite flavour) will cost £58.99; I rounded to £60 for the maths. Protein content when made up is 19.6g per 25g scoop, however the chocolate versions have roughly 8% less protein due to added cocoa so it's roughly 18g protein per 25g scoop. 200 25g scoops at 18g of protein means 3600g of protein in 5kg. This brings protein per pound to 60g for £1, or for comparison's sake, 42g of protein for 70p.

To get the same protein content through chicken as he'd get from the protein powder, he would have to spend £82 on chicken. £22 extra for the same amount of protein. It's a case of priorities really. If you love the taste of chicken and you need that variety in your meals, then stick to the chicken. If you're trying to get the most for your money and you can handle a meal without meat; just rice and veggies, or whatever you'd normally eat, protein powder is the way forward.

It's important to note that some brands of protein have higher protein content per scoop, and they may even be cheaper. It may be of even more value to choose protein over chicken, depending on the brand you use. On the other hand, if there's a deal on chicken and your protein is one of the more expensive, the difference wouldn't be that much.

If you're looking for cheap protein:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Nutrisport 90+ is only £50 for 5kg, and supposedly contains 22.8g of protein per scoop. Their scoop size is slightly bigger however, so it's actually 21.5g per scoop, but that's still a lot higher in comparison. That being said, my friend has it and the taste isn't great, and it mixes terribly. Ideally you'd have a shaker with a whisk ball in, and you drink it as soon as you've shaken it.

-----------------------------------------------

I also looked into protein consumption to look at a weekly cost, so he can consider how much to have to stay within his budget.

I looked all over to find how much protein you need if you go to the gym regularly (for lifting weights, not cardio). Sources tell us various things, such as 2g protein per kilo of lean body mass, or 1-1.5g per lb of bodyweight. A rough guide I got to in the end suggested 1.2-1.8g of protein per kg of body weight. Here is an extremely interesting read (scientific study) on how different amounts of protein affect us.

So, my friend is about 70kg, meaning his protein requirement at the lower end of the spectrum is 84g per day, and 126g at the upper end. Given the 18g of protein, that's 4.6 shakes per day. Routinely eating, I figure you'd get the .6 of a shake through eggs/beans/peas or whatever else, so 4 shakes is a good starting figure.

-4 shakes a day would last you 50 days, meaning a rough spend of £8.60 a week.

If you want to reach the top end, that would take 7 shakes a day, however I think it's very possible to get a shake's worth of protein (18g) through your diet, and 6 shakes a day would be adequate.

-6 shakes a day would last you 33 days, so a rough spend of £12.70 a week.

I did all the maths for my friend so it was time well spent, I thought I'd write it up in case anyone else could find some use for it. If this has helped or you've got any comments, please let me know.

Thanks, and happy lifting!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RichyFrench)
    I have a friend who's trying to bulk up in the gym but he's a bit short on money which means he's probably not getting as much protein as he could. He eats a lot of chicken so I was trying to see how much protein he's getting for his money.

*Note that the figures are rough so it's not 100% accurate but is a decent guide.

From Asda, you can get 930g of 'Butcher's Selection' Chicken Breast Fillets for £6.50, basically £7/kg. In that, there's 30.7g of protein per 100g. Note that unless there's an offer, chicken breast fillet is currently the cheapest at Asda. This gives you 30.7g of protein for 70p.

I also worked out the protein content of some Isolate Whey Protein from myprotein.co.uk, purely because it's the one I use, and it sells A LOT. The taste is good, the mixability is great, and the price is competitive.

A 5kg bag of chocolate mint protein (his favourite flavour) will cost £58.99; I rounded to £60 for the maths. Protein content when made up is 19.6g per 25g scoop, however the chocolate versions have roughly 8% less protein due to added cocoa so it's roughly 18g protein per 25g scoop. 200 25g scoops at 18g of protein means 3600g of protein in 5kg. This brings protein per pound to 60g for £1, or for comparison's sake, 42g of protein for 70p.

To get the same protein content through chicken as he'd get from the protein powder, he would have to spend £82 on chicken. £22 extra for the same amount of protein. It's a case of priorities really. If you love the taste of chicken and you need that variety in your meals, then stick to the chicken. If you're trying to get the most for your money and you can handle a meal without meat; just rice and veggies, or whatever you'd normally eat, protein powder is the way forward.

It's important to note that some brands of protein have higher protein content per scoop, and they may even be cheaper. It may be of even more value to choose protein over chicken, depending on the brand you use. On the other hand, if there's a deal on chicken and your protein is one of the more expensive, the difference wouldn't be that much.

If you're looking for cheap protein:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Nutrisport 90+ is only £50 for 5kg, and supposedly contains 22.8g of protein per scoop. Their scoop size is slightly bigger however, so it's actually 21.5g per scoop, but that's still a lot higher in comparison. That being said, my friend has it and the taste isn't great, and it mixes terribly. Ideally you'd have a shaker with a whisk ball in, and you drink it as soon as you've shaken it.

-----------------------------------------------

I also looked into protein consumption to look at a weekly cost, so he can consider how much to have to stay within his budget.

I looked all over to find how much protein you need if you go to the gym regularly (for lifting weights, not cardio). Sources tell us various things, such as 2g protein per kilo of lean body mass, or 1-1.5g per lb of bodyweight. A rough guide I got to in the end suggested 1.2-1.8g of protein per kg of body weight. Here is an extremely interesting read (scientific study) on how different amounts of protein affect us.

So, my friend is about 70kg, meaning his protein requirement at the lower end of the spectrum is 84g per day, and 126g at the upper end. Given the 18g of protein, that's 4.6 shakes per day. Routinely eating, I figure you'd get the .6 of a shake through eggs/beans/peas or whatever else, so 4 shakes is a good starting figure.

-4 shakes a day would last you 50 days, meaning a rough spend of £8.60 a week.

If you want to reach the top end, that would take 7 shakes a day, however I think it's very possible to get a shake's worth of protein (18g) through your diet, and 6 shakes a day would be adequate.

-6 shakes a day would last you 33 days, so a rough spend of £12.70 a week.

I did all the maths for my friend so it was time well spent, I thought I'd write it up in case anyone else could find some use for it. If this has helped or you've got any comments, please let me know.

Thanks, and happy lifting!
    Is the Nutrisport 90+ any good? Was thinking of getting a tub because you can get 5KG for £45 on Amazon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camoxide)
    Is the Nutrisport 90+ any good? Was thinking of getting a tub because you can get 5KG for £45 on Amazon.
    I haven't tried that one myself, but a friend of mine is happy with it. Purely on the protein content it's very good, however it depends how fussy you are on the taste. The friend I calculated all this for texted me earlier saying "Just tasted it, taste isn't great but like you said, it's the cheapest one".

Mixability is the only other concern but if you add a bit more water and shake for a while then I'm sure it'll eventually mix in and you'll get your protein. Reviews sound good to be honest, as it's got casein in it digests slowly meaning it's great for before bed. I can't see it for £45 on Amazon, but I know you can get it for £50 on dolphin fitness.. I'd go for it personally.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't tried that one myself, but a friend of mine is happy with it. Purely on the protein content it's very good, however it depends how fussy you are on the taste. The friend I calculated all this for texted me earlier saying "Just tasted it, taste isn't great but like you said, it's the cheapest one".

Mixability is the only other concern but if you add a bit more water and shake for a while then I'm sure it'll eventually mix in and you'll get your protein. Reviews sound good to be honest, as it's got casein in it digests slowly meaning it's great for before bed. I can't see it for £45 on Amazon, but I know you can get it for £50 on dolphin fitness.. I'd go for it personally.
    Think i'm gonna go for it. Not too fussed about taste tbh. Just as long as it doesn't make me gag. I'm not drinking it for pleasure haha.
    Yeah you can get it for £45 if you suscribe and save
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...=1&s=drugstore
    You can cancel the subscription anytime though.
    Think i'll use the fiver saved to get a mixer with a ball in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camoxide)
    Think i'm gonna go for it. Not too fussed about taste tbh. Just as long as it doesn't make me gag. I'm not drinking it for pleasure haha.
    Yeah you can get it for £45 if you suscribe and save
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...=1&s=drugstore
    You can cancel the subscription anytime though.
    Think i'll use the fiver saved to get a mixer with a ball in.
    Oh that sounds pretty cool actually.. Having it on subscription sounds great, I'd love to not have to keep ordering, although I do change flavour a fair bit so I suppose it's good having the flexibility.. It looks like you've gotta get Vanilla for that subscription thing though..? I guess you're ok with that though. Yeah a decent mixer would be a good investment.

ReputationRep:
    x
    Is the MyProtein.com Impact Whey any good? I've just bought a 2.5kg unflavoured bag.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fletchdd02)
    Is the MyProtein.com Impact Whey any good? I've just bought a 2.5kg unflavoured bag.
    Yeah, really good mate. I've got 1kg of unflavoured myself to use in cooking.. It'll go in cheese sauces, gravy, tomato sauces.. It doesn't taste great by itself as a shake, but it's certainly not gagworthy. You get more protein for your money with the unpowdered, and it's cheaper too.

To improve the taste you can add some nesquik powder or even flavoured syrup (the Da Vinci brand has some pretty good sugar free ones). They are a bit expensive, especially if you have to factor in delivery, but it improves the taste without added sugar.

ReputationRep:
    Oh that sounds pretty cool actually.. Having it on subscription sounds great, I'd love to not have to keep ordering, although I do change flavour a fair bit so I suppose it's good having the flexibility.. It looks like you've gotta get Vanilla for that subscription thing though..? I guess you're ok with that though. Yeah a decent mixer would be a good investment.
    You can do it for Raspberry and Strawberry as well.

I imagine if the price of the product rises the subscription price shouldn't rise which is a plus.

ReputationRep:
    Never mind that chicken breast is one of the most expensive meats you can buy. Just buy legs if you're on a tight budget.

I don't know why people are so afraid of eating fat, you do actually need some of it for your body to function properly. I'm not suggesting eating pork belly every day, but legs and thighs really wont kill you.

ReputationRep:
    If you're seriously on a budget, use impact whey from myprotein giving 22g per shake.

theres also sliced chicken in a pack for like £1 in sainsburys, and they're generally on offer as well which gives 36g per pack.

generally you only need 1-1.2g protein to get gains (anymore just makes it easier to add fat) and say average is like 180lb that's like 180-220g protein per day so reaching that goal is decent on a budget if you're serious about lifting and don't waste your money on unnecessary items

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, really good mate. I've got 1kg of unflavoured myself to use in cooking.. It'll go in cheese sauces, gravy, tomato sauces.. It doesn't taste great by itself as a shake, but it's certainly not gagworthy. You get more protein for your money with the unpowdered, and it's cheaper too.

To improve the taste you can add some nesquik powder or even flavoured syrup (the Da Vinci brand has some pretty good sugar free ones). They are a bit expensive, especially if you have to factor in delivery, but it improves the taste without added sugar.
    Quality, I also bought 250g of creatine monohydrate as well to put in with my shakes. I was just going to flavour with fruit and like you say nesquik powder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NathanW)
    If you're seriously on a budget, use impact whey from myprotein giving 22g per shake.

theres also sliced chicken in a pack for like £1 in sainsburys, and they're generally on offer as well which gives 36g per pack.

generally you only need 1-1.2g protein to get gains (anymore just makes it easier to add fat) and say average is like 180lb that's like 180-220g protein per day so reaching that goal is decent on a budget if you're serious about lifting and don't waste your money on unnecessary items
    Impact whey from myprotein is exactly what I'm referring to. For the unflavoured in 25g it says:
    Protein (dry basis): 20.5g
    Protein (as-is): 19.6g

Then it says: Please note this nutritional information is taken from the unflavoured version. When choosing a flavoured version it will reduce the protein content by approximately 3% for most flavours, however chocolate, due to the added cocoa, will reduce it by approximately 8%. The protein content per scoop isn't that high really. The amount of protein you say is needed is way more than I suggested :/ Getting that much seems difficult without using a lot of protein powder.

(Original post by fletchdd02)
    Quality, I also bought 250g of creatine monohydrate as well to put in with my shakes. I was just going to flavour with fruit and like you say nesquik powder.
    Take a look at this article. It's pretty interesting. This info is on the review on Amazon which is pretty useful for knowing how to use it.

Dosage:
    Example 1:
    If you are beginner you may start with a loading phase: 4 x 5g doses a day (for about 5 days) will do the trick, and then later switch to the maintenance phase -> 2-5g daily (for about 4-6 weeks). Bear in mind that body has a ceiling on the amount of creatine that it will store in the muscles, so there is no point of taking more of it, as it will not continue to load in the muscles. I would suggest not going over 5g in the maintenance phase as this will simply be a waste of money (2-3g seems to be most optimal).

Example 2:
    Since creatine levels will be maintained in your muscles for about 3 weeks another way to do it is to cycle on and off (rather than using the loading and maintenance phases). Start with a dose of 5g per day for about 6 weeks (it will take longer to reach saturation levels compared to the loading dose, but the end results are virtually the same). After that, stop taking it for about 3 weeks, and start again with another "cycle".
    I did see the creatine on Amazon myself and it seems to be a lot better researched than I realised. I'm cutting now so I don't fancy looking bloated but I'm gonna start using creatine probably within the next 6 months.

ReputationRep:
    Uncooked chicken breast is only about 20-22g protein/100g.

The figure of 30.7g you have is probably for cooked chicken breast; when you cook it, it loses some water thus becomes more protein dense.

In any case, cheap protein powder is normally the cheapest source of protein, I would guess that milk is the second. It is hard to tell with meat sometimes since the cheapest bits come with lots of bone, gristle and fat so it is hard to tell how much actual lean meat is there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark85)
    Uncooked chicken breast is only about 20-22g protein/100g.

The figure of 30.7g you have is probably for cooked chicken breast; when you cook it, it loses some water thus becomes more protein dense.

In any case, cheap protein powder is normally the cheapest source of protein, I would guess that milk is the second. It is hard to tell with meat sometimes since the cheapest bits come with lots of bone, gristle and fat so it is hard to tell how much actual lean meat is there.
    I just went off the packet information but who knows how accurate that is. And yeah absolutely, cutting off fat and stuff also takes away from the figures so it's not 100% accurate.

ReputationRep:
    I just went off the packet information but who knows how accurate that is. And yeah absolutely, cutting off fat and stuff also takes away from the figures so it's not 100% accurate.
    Read it carefully - the figures most likely refer to the cooked weight of the product. It probably says something like 'as consumed' or similar to indicate that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark85)
    Read it carefully - the figures most likely refer to the cooked weight of the product. It probably says something like 'as consumed' or similar to indicate that.
    I got the image off mysupermarket, it's not easy to see but I think it does say that those are the cooked values. Cheers for pointing that out.

ReputationRep:
    Surely chicken has nutritional value beyond protein?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tooosh)
    Isn't a lot of supermarket chicken just full of water though? I know what you mean though, you aren't consuming only protein when you eat chicken. Some would argue you consume bad stuff on top of that but it depends on your personal views.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Converse Rocker)
    Isn't a lot of supermarket chicken just full of water though? I know what you mean though, you aren't consuming only protein when you eat chicken. Some would argue you consume bad stuff on top of that but it depends on your personal views.
    Yeah does seem so tbh. I tried Morrisons (the only supermarket nowhere near me at home) chicken a few weeks ago and it was quite good for supermarket meat. I remember when I grilled Tesco chicken, it would literally shrink to 3/4 its original size and there would be steam everywhere but that's not the case with Morrisons. Local butchers still seem to have the least added crap in their meat and they're cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tooosh)
    Yeah, you do raise a valid point. I would imagine however, that if you're not eating chicken you'll still be getting vitamins from your fruit and veg, enough to meet your daily values. The vitamins in chicken would be only be useful if you're not eating enough fruit and veg, so if you're just surviving on pasta and starchy foods.. But I guess if you're eating like that you can't be too concerned with your vitamins in the first place.

For anyone who is lifting several times a week, a multivitamin would be one of my first recommendations. Helps you hit your macros on those days where you're struggling.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.