Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi I've not found any posts or threads about applying or starting university of west of england this sept 2013 for social work degree so thought I'd jump in there.
    Has my interview on Monday and should hear by Friday.
    Be great to chat to others who are starting at UWE x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi Sarah - So glad you've posted I was wondering if anyone else had applied.

I've accepted a place for Sept - really can't wait to get started now! (Although, a bit scared as I'm 32 so coming to Uni a bit late!).

Have you heard anything back yet? I interviewed in Nov and was told it would be a couple of days but heard nothing so had to chase them up in the end.

Might see you in Sept!

ReputationRep:
    Hi ya. Yeah I heard Friday and they've offered me a place and I've firmed it! I'm 32 as well. Be great to chat to someone who's going to be there, especially as both older!

ReputationRep:
    Oh that's great news! I was wondering if there would be any other 'mature' students!

Are you local? I'm from Weston-super-Mare so will probably be driving up and back each day. I'm a Mum of 2 as well so going to have to juggle things a bit!

ReputationRep:
    I'm local, I'm kingswood in bristol. Juggling is going to be my new hobbie as well. Got 2 kids.
    So glad I know there's other mature students was slightly daunghting thinking I was going to be the oldest.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm guessing with the nature of the course there might be a few of us older ones.

Although when I went for interview I was with 3 others who were all school leavers so really glad there'll be someone in the same boat as me!

I rang and spoke with someone a couple of weeks ago and although he couldn't confirm the timetable, he did say it's likely to be all day Mons, Tues & Weds mornings and other bits here and there with this pattern likely to continue until after Xmas - don't know if that's of any use to you but I'm trying to arrange childcare etc and be as organised as possible!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that's what they said to us on interview. I was at interview with a couple of school leavers and also some older people.
    I'm at college at the mo so my youngest is already in childcare so just swapping days.
    I'll try n private message u my fb so we can keep in contact.

ReputationRep:
    Hey I have firmed to do social work as of September so excited.. I'm gunna be 19 nearly 20 when I'm at uni can't wait!!

ReputationRep:
    Hiya..iv confirmed&i'm a mature student. And yes spoke to a s/w student who started last year and they did mon alday, tues, weds mornings..im excited but a little nervous also..

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so great to find some others who will be starting at uwe this september. I was due to start in sept 2012, however I fell pregnant with my daughter and deferred to this year. I am a mature student too at the age of 28 Really looking forward to meeting you all and hope we can all be a support to one another during the next few years

ReputationRep:
    Hi All, i am a mature student too (27) and i have accepted an offer for the course. i have just found out i have got all the the credits needed so i am just waiting on student Finace and crb.

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I am starting Social Work this September at UWE and was just wandering if anyone had heard about a reading list yet as I've heard they have become available for other courses and was just wandering how we find out ours?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I've had an email from Uwe welcome and it contained the reading list. Its about 11 books if I remember. Check your welcome intray. Really looking forward to sept n nervous as well.

ReputationRep:
    When did you receive this email? I havent received one at all?

ReputationRep:
    6th July.
    Reading List for BSc (Hons) Social Work, Year 1
    Banks, S (2006) (3rd ed) Ethics and Values in Social Work, Basingstoke: Macmillan Dalrymple, J. and Burke, B. (2006) Anti-Oppressive Practice: Social Care and the Law
    Maidenhead: Open University Press.
    Egan, G (2010) The Skilled Helper, International Edition. Belmont, CA: Cengage Learning. Howe, D. (2009) A Brief Introduction to Social Work Theory Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
    Johns, R. (2011), Using the Law in Social Work, Fifth Edition. Exeter: Learning Matters. Lister, R (2010) Understanding Theories and Concepts in Social Policy. Bristol: Policy Press Llewellyn, A. Agu, L. and Mercer, D. (2008) Sociology for Social Work Cambridge: Polity Press
    Oko, J. (2008) Understanding and Using Theory in Social Work, Exeter: Learning Matters Thompson, N. (2005) Understanding Social Work: Preparing for Practice Basingstoke:
    Palgrave
    Trevithick, P. (2012) Social Work Skills and Knowledge: A Practice Handbook, 3rd edn Maidenhead: Open University Press.
    Wilson, K. Ruch, G. Lymbery, M. and Cooper,A (2011) Social Work: An Introduction to Contemporary Practice, 2nd edn Harlow: Pearson Education

ReputationRep:
    That's the list

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou very much! Don't know why I wasn't emailed it? Are we meant to buy all of these?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. I've tried e bay n they r expensive. I've found amazon the best

ReputationRep:
    Hi I have applied for UWE social work degree 2014 and have my Interview jan 13.
    I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips on what the interview and exam is like? I am 35 so nervous about it all!
    Thanks Sarah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahgr)
    Hi I have applied for UWE social work degree 2014 and have my Interview jan 13.
    I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips on what the interview and exam is like? I am 35 so nervous about it all!
    Thanks Sarah
    Hiya..the interview we did was just 6 questions
    .no group interview or anything..I cant remember exactly what the questions were but they were along the lines of..why do you want to be a social worker? What can you bring to the course? What do you think makes a good social worker..what skills do you need to be a good social worker...an anti discrimination or anti oppressive question..something along those lines..I had 2 people interview me..a lecturer and a practitioner. It lasted about half an hour..45mins..hopes this helps a little x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.