Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I'm doing the character and voice exam in a few weeks and I have no idea how to answer the questions, or even what the questions will be in the exam. I know there's something on comparison and an unseen poem. Can someone doing the same exam please help me? Or those in the situation as me, join my depression!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hiya!
    I did this exam last year. So I might be of some help. If you go onto the AQA website you can find past papers. Most of the questions are 'Compare poem x (on theme y) with a poem of your choice' - do some of them as they're good revision (and they also have the unseen poems on there too (they're at the bottom of the paper).

Answering the poems keep to this structure:
    Content: What the poem is about
    Language: Words and / or phrases that stick out and their effect on the audience
    Attitude: The values so -love/death/power/relationship etc (it can be more than one)
    Structure: How is the poem set out ie. free verse, a sonnet etc.
    Self: How is the poem supposed to affect the reader/ audience.
    This structure can be used for both poems.

And here is where the past papers are (if you want to use them )
    http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administ...d-mark-schemes
    Hope I was of help! And if you need any more help (and if you want to ask me) ask and I'll try my best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jina)
    So I'm doing the character and voice exam in a few weeks and I have no idea how to answer the questions, or even what the questions will be in the exam. I know there's something on comparison and an unseen poem. Can someone doing the same exam please help me? Or those in the situation as me, join my depression!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm in the same position but I'm doing conflict

In school we haven't covered all the poems yet,,, not started the unseen poetry,,, have to still do all of OMAM and still have about half a C/A to do

Me and my class are dons!!!!

But on a serious note

YouTube wcsenglish

The guy has made loads of videos for my cluster and has pretty much taught me all of literature so yeah hope that helps

What novels are you doing...

Ryan

ReputationRep:
    Hey, thank you so much for taking the time to answer and help me! May you be blessed!
    You know the structure thing you mentioned, do I use that to answer the question on comparison?
    So a question on theme "outcasts" ... Would I use the imagery, tone and so on to answer it?
    Thanks again, I think I may take you up on your offer of help.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryanb97)
    I'm in the same position but I'm doing conflict

In school we haven't covered all the poems yet,,, not started the unseen poetry,,, have to still do all of OMAM and still have about half a C/A to do

Me and my class are dons!!!!

But on a serious note

YouTube wcsenglish

The guy has made loads of videos for my cluster and has pretty much taught me all of literature so yeah hope that helps

What novels are you doing...

Ryan
    Wow. Makes me feel a little better. We've finished English Language, CA as well as the exam. The CA for Literature is done too, just the two literature exams to do.

Haha you guys are indeed dons, I can only wish you the very best of luck!

And I'm on that youtube channel at this very moment. His analysis is on point, it's just how to answer the questions thats troubling me I guess.

I'm doing "An inspector Calls" and "Purple Hibiscus"... The latter which is a killer, hate it. What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jina)
    Wow. Makes me feel a little better. We've finished English Language, CA as well as the exam. The CA for Literature is done too, just the two literature exams to do.

Haha you guys are indeed dons, I can only wish you the very best of luck!

And I'm on that youtube channel at this very moment. His analysis is on point, it's just how to answer the questions thats troubling me I guess.

I'm doing "An inspector Calls" and "Purple Hibiscus"... The latter which is a killer, hate it. What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That shouldn't make you happy!! Lol :rolleyes:

How did you do in English language ?

We have done lord of the flies,, and should be starting of mice and men - which we won't finish ,, oh well

Ryan

ReputationRep:
    When you say not to choose (for example) both stanza 1 AND language devices, what do you mean by that? Do you write 4 paragraphs - one on each stanza - or do you write one for language devices, one for structure, one for themes and another for another device?

Currently revising Poetry for May exam.

(Original post by Nick Latham)
    Answering the questions depends a lot on the actual question. I am assuming that you have studied some example poems well enough to fill in the structure.

1: brief introduction - introduce the fact that the poem(s) portray what ever theme you are asked to discuss. This is optional but could be useful.

2: paragraphs - for this section, either base them on the stanzas, or on different devices (structure, language, etc). Remember, don't choose stanza 1 AND language devices, choose either structure, which ever suits you best.

Paragraph 1 - stanza 1 // language devices
    Paragraph 2 - stanza 2 // structure
    Paragraph 3 - stanza 3 // themes (or more language devices).
    Paragraph 4 (optional if you have time) - stanza 4 // other device...

For any further help, a couple of weeks ago we did a mock Unseen Poetry essay over coursework, our teacher then marked them.

Here is my one, the teacher gave me 16/18 (which is an A*) - so if you can get the gist of it by looking at my example, feel free to inherit my structure, but bear in mind that we did this as coursework and not in exam conditions/timed conditions, so don't feel the need to do a fourth paragraph...:

'Explore the speakers feelings to his father in the poem 'My Father's Garden'.'

Unseen Poetry Essay – ‘My Father’s Garden’

The first stanza in ‘My Father’s Garden’ unlocks the first part of some of the major themes in this poem. Vivid and descriptive metaphors are used to illustrate his father’s profession is used in the lines“…in wait for his lance” and “And dragons in molten tons, blazing.” The medieval tone of the metaphors could indicate the negative view that the speaker had acquainted towards his father’s job. The way in which he describes his father’s work environment with these descriptions could imply a fearful or perplex attitude towards it. This then links in to some of the key themes presented in this poem such as his father’s occupation making him seem distant from his son.

The second stanza switches to indicate a new theme of the comparison of a garden to his father’s scrapyard in the line “Long stalks of lead…” and “With teeth like petals, with holes for anthers,” The further use of metaphors in describing his father’s activities at the ‘scrapyard’ initiates the theme which is later explored in the last stanza which is that the speaker wishes that his father could fulfil his educational and creative potential. And the way in which he creatively compared his scrapyard to a garden demonstrates this creativity and it could imply that the speaker has hope or is partially pleased with his father.

The third stanza further explores the theme of his father retaining good education but being unable or unlucky to apply it; showing the speaker’s sympathy or possibly frustration towards his father. In the line “He tried to keep his brain from melting…” it shows that the constant exposure to the simplistic life of working as an industrial working class citizen has noticeably (to his son) affected his intelligence in a symbolic way. This is also expressed through the consistent listing of objects in the line “Or worse; cannons or cars, needles or grinders, flagpoles, swords or plowshares.” This repetition and listing indicates that he has a negative attitude towards his father’s negligence of retaining his intellect even though he was a victim of his job circumstances.

The fourth stanza explores this theme even more thoroughly by expressing the educational potential his father once retained. The line “His classical learning ran down and away from him, not burning bright.” shows that his father did indeed show hope of being able to manage a respectable profession, but the metaphorical description of it ‘running down and away from him’ indicates the disappointment the son may feel. The idea of his father being highly educated is further indicated in the line “His fingers culled a few cold scraps of Latin and Greek, magma sine laude,” as this indicates metaphorically with ‘cold scraps’ the degree of which he may have not been able to fulfil his true potential. The brief mentioning of Latin, Greek and a reputable distinction ‘magma sine laude’ further emphasises the wasting of good classical education. All of these lines mentioning his father’s negligence of his own intellect strongly imply disappointment or possibly even sorrow towards him.

ReputationRep:
    OK. Thanks for explaining that - I couldn't quite understand what you meant initially.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 11, 2013
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.