Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys,

So I've decided that taking a gap year is for me, and I have decided to spend 3 months of my year volunteering abroad. However, costs for going abroad are roughly £1000-£2000, so I will need to fundraise!

Any ideas on how I can fundraise enough money, or at least some?
    I am not a runner, I can barely run a meter, never mind a half marathon.
    However I'm open to suggestions.

I'd love to organise some sort of event in my school hall, I thought maybe something that would attract the students would be a "Torture your Teacher" night, where kids have one night to torture their teachers i.e throw pies in their faces, wax their legs ect. but obviously theres not a lot of things kids are legally allowed to do to their teachers, but if anyone has any creative input please comment!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yasmin13595)
    Hey Guys,

So I've decided that taking a gap year is for me, and I have decided to spend 3 months of my year volunteering abroad. However, costs for going abroad are roughly £1000-£2000, so I will need to fundraise!

Any ideas on how I can fundraise enough money, or at least some?
    I am not a runner, I can barely run a meter, never mind a half marathon.
    However I'm open to suggestions.

I'd love to organise some sort of event in my school hall, I thought maybe something that would attract the students would be a "Torture your Teacher" night, where kids have one night to torture their teachers i.e throw pies in their faces, wax their legs ect. but obviously theres not a lot of things kids are legally allowed to do to their teachers, but if anyone has any creative input please comment!
    Well, you may create own social project, offer yourself as volunteer - to teach English disabled children abroad (if you are native speaker). I'll give you link to the web-site of the administration of the city and help to translate your offer to them. At the moment they offer to win £1000 grant for social goals in the district (people write projects and take part in the competition). This money need be spend on social goals. All..
    I may find you co-author for the idea (they need that it was local resident's project, so you'll be like the necessary element over there). Main idea - you'll write that you want that municipal body arranged you VISA and place to live for this money (budget of the municipal district), and you'll volounteer for couple of months teaching children of the city - Basic English (if you are a native speaker) at Uni, where I work. In such a way - you may get grateful paper from municipal body for your help, and Uni will get grateful letter for their help to municipal body (in the question of language classrooms, there are two English-language, one German language and one computer class for the translators). Uni also may give you grateful letter if it ever happens. In such a way - you may get VISA help, place to live for couple months in the foreign country from the municipal officials. And two grateful letters - one from Uni, one from the officials. But certainly we (the Uni) also would like to get grateful letter from municipal bodies for our classrooms use.

As for the money. You may offer yourself like the tutor of English in local advertisement newspaper for the people who already have Basic English knowledge. You won't volunteer all the day anyway, so you'll have time for private lessons. I think this question we also may solve.

If you like what you here (like Americans like to say, but I'm Russian ) , we may Skype and discuss who am I and who are you. I don't trust to the strangers, and I'll prove my official status only if I find it worth for the worth person.

ReputationRep:
    But unfortunately. There are not much time had left for the social projects. The accept of the projects ends on 30/04/2013. And you don't appear on TSR offen. So probably I try to find somebody else. Besides I have large friend-list of people who are certainly English native speakers. But anyway, thank you for the post and for the idea. Without the post I won't see the idea. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Some ideas -

- Ask to wash your neighbours cars and tell them why you are fundraising
    - Get a part time job
    - Cut back on non essentials like drinking beer etc
    - Create a just giving page and think of something creative
    - Go to the library and contact organisations in the book of grand making trusts, lots of orgs have money available for people if you are looking to help good causes but you will need a plan / structure where the money will be spent

Good luck

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.