Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've read about 3 textbooks and gone through my notes and still don't get it. My chemistry teacher isn't the most helpful person and no one else seems to get it well enough to explain.
    Is there any website or tutorial that can help me get it better? I've searched and can't find any.
    I know the definitions of enthalpies, electron affinity etc. But its the cycle itself, i just don't understand how to put it together.
    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink lipstick)
    I've read about 3 textbooks and gone through my notes and still don't get it. My chemistry teacher isn't the most helpful person and no one else seems to get it well enough to explain.
    Is there any website or tutorial that can help me get it better? I've searched and can't find any.
    I know the definitions of enthalpies, electron affinity etc. But its the cycle itself, i just don't understand how to put it together.
    Try watching these two videos below (links below), which explain the construction of Born-Haber cycles step by step. It should help build your understanding more.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaENpmydgRg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuGZyuYpSB4

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink lipstick)
    A few words of advice,

1) First, know what Hess's Law is and maybe why it works

2) Understand that enthalpy can be positive (endothermic) or negative (exothermic)
    i.e. lattice energy/enthalpy can be defined as breaking up the lattice to form gaseous ions (which requires energy, hence endothermic, hence your arrow would need to point from solid lattice to formation of gaseous ions; analogously, if you define lattice energy/enthalpy as the energy released when lattice is formed from gaseous ions, your eqm arrow would point towards formation of lattice - which is exothermic, hence enthalpy value is negative)

3) read up more and you'd find out that Born-Haber cycle is nothing more than an extended version of simple Hess's cycle questions.

http://www.chemguide.co.uk/physical/.../sums.html#top

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.