Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have a question, is it true your not supposed to re-use your bottle, more than three days?? someone told me this today, and I don't know if it's true. I've been drinking out of my bottle for almost a month! saves money, I don't agree with 'buying' water!

Suggestions please? Thank you

(p.s. not sure if this is posted in the right place.)

ReputationRep:
    Don't see a problem with reusing a bottle over and over again...
    Otherwise, they would stop selling these bottles that can be attached to bikes...

ReputationRep:
    It does State on the bottle not for reuse it probably isn't safe just drink from a plastic cup or glass

ReputationRep:
    Also, tap water is actually healthier than bottled water given bottled water given tap water is fluorinated which helps fight tooth decay. =)

10% of the people in the UK recieved fluorinated water and hopefully, will increase.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Bottled water often contains more bacteria etc than tap, because it's not gone through the filtering processes that tap has (in the UK at least). Supposedly even very slight damage to a temporary plastic bottle can cause it to give off toxic chemicals. Source http://environment.about.com/od/heal...ic_bottles.htm

ReputationRep:
    Can't see any harm in filling it up and drinking the same day. I'd be a bit wary of storing water for a long time though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    Also, tap water is actually healthier than bottled water given bottled water given tap water is fluorinated which helps fight tooth decay. =)

10% of the people in the UK recieved fluorinated water and hopefully, will increase.
    Sorry but this is nonsense =P fluoridated water may be better for your teeth (even this is debatable, as it works best directly applied rather than washed over, and there have been instances where when a country stops fluoridation the number of cases of tooth decay actually falls), but by no means is it "healthy"- there's a reason why your toothpaste tube advises you to see a doctor if you swallow any!

To answer the question, the reasoning behind not reusing bottles is because the plastic degrades over time and can contaminate whatever's inside with carcinogens I don't know how true exactly it is though as I've never come across an actual study into it, just people gossiping about it online!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eyre2)
    I have a question, is it true your not supposed to re-use your bottle, more than three days?? someone told me this today, and I don't know if it's true. I've been drinking out of my bottle for almost a month! saves money, I don't agree with 'buying' water!

Suggestions please? Thank you

(p.s. not sure if this is posted in the right place.)
    If you put water in them and then leave them in a hot car for a while the plastic can degrade and some of the chemicals can go into the water but I haven't heard of it happening when they are cold.

ReputationRep:
    Lets be honest here, the reason they say don't refill is so you buy another not to do with any health issues.

ReputationRep:
    Don't see a problem with reusing a bottle over and over again...
    Otherwise, they would stop selling these bottles that can be attached to bikes...
    i heard it has toxins inside it...or something :confused:

(Original post by SannaS)
    It does State on the bottle not for reuse it probably isn't safe just drink from a plastic cup or glass
    but i like taking water with me, outside the house..and I just checked and my bottle doesn't state anything of that sort.

i personally think tap water taste better

(Original post by Smaug123)
    Bottled water often contains more bacteria etc than tap, because it's not gone through the filtering processes that tap has (in the UK at least). Supposedly even very slight damage to a temporary plastic bottle can cause it to give off toxic chemicals. Source http://environment.about.com/od/heal...ic_bottles.htm

(Original post by Joinedup)
    Can't see any harm in filling it up and drinking the same day. I'd be a bit wary of storing water for a long time though.
    yeah i usually fill it up everyday...i wouldn't drink of yesterdays water (unless i was really thirsty and not bothered to go down)

(Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
    I expect they say "not for reuse" so you buy another bottle, to be honest.

I would reuse mine, but would most likely rinse it out with boiling water at the end of every day, then fill it with cold water from the tap and put it in the fridge for the next day. I wouldn't just refill and keep using it, but I'm unusually picky so that's probably just me.
    that's actually a good idea. To wash it with hot water just in case.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it matters really.

Just count yourself lucky you have option to choose between tap water and bottled water. Some people only have dirty water.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dotty_but_good)
    If you put water in them and then leave them in a hot car for a while the plastic can degrade and some of the chemicals can go into the water but I haven't heard of it happening when they are cold.
    oh ok, so as long as I store my bottle well, it'l be fine...though not sure i am storing it well as it's usually in my bag all day..

ReputationRep:
    A plastic bottles is meant to release toxins as it gradually breaks down the bottle.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EonBlueApocalypse)
    Lets be honest here, the reason they say don't refill is so you buy another not to do with any health issues.
    well i hope so!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elelia)
    A plastic bottles is meant to release toxins as it gradually breaks down the bottle.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    oh..that's not good, so you would say buy a new one at least once every 3 days?

ReputationRep:
    I reuse them. YOLO! No way am I going to keep spending money buying new bottles.

ReputationRep:
    This was talked about in the recent Bang Goes The Theory series on BBC. Go to iPlayer and watch it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/b01r6yqt/?t=10m50s

They concluded that it doesn't do any damage as long as you are careful, and even though chemicals are found in the body if you use plastic A LOT for handling food/water, it isn't at dangerous levels, and wouldn't cause any health problems

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elelia)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've also heard this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
    I expect they say "not for reuse" so you buy another bottle, to be honest.

I would reuse mine, but would most likely rinse it out with boiling water at the end of every day, then fill it with cold water from the tap and put it in the fridge for the next day. I wouldn't just refill and keep using it, but I'm unusually picky so that's probably just me.
    Not like that's going to melt the plastic, making toxic any water you put inside right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eyre2)
    i heard it has toxins inside it...or something :confused:
    Well, then we had all better pray we don't drop dead tomorrow.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.