Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should Margaret Thatcher get a state funeral? Watch

ReputationRep:
    As Britain's greatest peacetime leader should she?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Considering the country is skint then no she or any other past or present prime minister.

Of-course Dave and chums will come up with taking benefits away from honest benefit claimants which will please the Daily Mail.

ReputationRep:
    Ugh. I wish people would be more neautral.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You wanted people's thoughts?

Well you got mine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    http://www.change.org/en-GB/petition...garet-thatcher

Hopefully this will get the required amount of signatures, and make a difference

ReputationRep:
    Well, technically she's not, but I see what you're getting at. What people think is probably going to depend a bit on how many other prime ministers they can compare her with. My instinct is that she stands head and shoulders as a historical figure above any of our post-war prime ministers. That, of course, is not to say that she was always right, and I know there are communities today that are still very unhappy about her. But that needs to be balanced by her achievements in European and in world diplomacy, which I think were considerable. On the whole, I think the right balance has been struck. No lying in state, and technically no state funeral, but a very public funeral in recognition of her place in history.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tor-na-var)
    She is not getting a state funeral.
    She is getting a ceremonial funeral, the same as Sir Winston Churchill, Princess Diana and the Queen Mother received. State funerals are reserved for heads of state, ie HM Queen.
    I think Churchill had a state funeral; there was certainly a lying in state in Westminster Hall.

ReputationRep:
    No, as frankie boyle once said the money used for her funeral should instaed go towards a shovel fund. And everyone can personally give her to the devil.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poiuy)
    No, as frankie boyle once said the money used for her funeral should instaed go towards a shovel fund. And everyone can personally give her to the devil.
    And by 'everyone' you mean a small minority of soppy lefties?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tor-na-var)
    She is not getting a state funeral.
    She is getting a ceremonial funeral, the same as Sir Winston Churchill, Princess Diana and the Queen Mother received. State funerals are reserved for heads of state, ie HM Queen.
    Who pays for the ceremonial funeral?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poiuy)
    No. not everyone.
    Left wing minority, uh I think the tax payer is going to pay for her funeral

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    didn't Jade from Big Brother get a massive funeral????

I think Margret Thatcher will

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrx123)
    didn't Jade from Big Brother get a massive funeral????

I think Margret Thatcher will
    Lol xD you're comparing the greatest peacetime prime minister the UK has had with a former big brother contestant? *facepalm*

She's getting a funeral with full military honours, that's big in its own right.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hilly1)
    Lol xD you're comparing the greatest peacetime prime minister the UK has had with a former big brother contestant? *facepalm*
    No great peacetime PMs were mentioned in this thread :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pol pot noodles)
    And by 'everyone' you mean a small minority of soppy lefties?
    No, anyone working class, Irish, from the north or not rich. I suspect if you did a poll of Thatcher lovers v haters you might be surprised to see what you get. We are by no means a minority.

If you want to pay for her funeral, by all means, but doesn't "Sir" Mark Thatcher on his own have a worth of millions? Never mind the Thatcher estate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hilly1)
    As Britain's greatest peacetime leader should she?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Explain to me how she's a great "peacetime" leader- when she started a war.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    No, anyone working class, Irish, from the north or not rich. I suspect if you did a poll of Thatcher lovers v haters you might be surprised to see what you get. We are by no means a minority.

If you want to pay for her funeral, by all means, but doesn't "Sir" Mark Thatcher on his own have a worth of millions? Never mind the Thatcher estate.
    She died with a 66m worth.... Thus around half will be taxed after death anyway. She will lose way more than 3m so get to know the facts.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maybach)
    She died with a 66m worth.... Thus around half will be taxed after death anyway. She will lose way more than 3m so get to know the facts.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd be interested to see if that 33million is actually reclaimed by the government

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    Ever heard of the term 'Essex man'? The idea that the working class and poor hate Thatcher is complete and utter tripe. You don't win three general elections by the margins she did without working class vote. You've cleary falsely assumed that because you're working class and hate Thatcher, then all working class must hate Thatcher.
    The Irish can frankly suck it, last time I checked this was the United Kingdom, not the ROI.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pol pot noodles)
    Ever heard of the term 'Essex man'? The idea that the working class and poor hate Thatcher is complete and utter tripe. You don't win three general elections by the margins she did without working class vote. You've cleary falsely assumed that because you're working class and hate Thatcher, then all working class must hate Thatcher.
    The Irish can frankly suck it, last time I checked this was the United Kingdom, not the ROI.
    Well, I'm defining the working class, as those under unions. Thatcher's well known hatred for the unions meant that alot of the working class were anti-Thatcher, it was the working class who suffered the most.

And I'm referring to the Irish who live in the North of Ireland, in UK territory.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.