Pros and cons of Proportionality? Watch

P1mP
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Anyone?
So far Ive got:
-Means courts assess merits of the decision/policy (but not sure why its a con):confused:
P1mP
Rep:
?
OOh I think I get it now..because if courts assess the merits then there is a fear that they may substitute the decision based on their own views and/or that they are not experienced enough in a certain field to balance factors? Am I right? Anyone?
Also, can anyone point me to a case which can support my point or has any relevance?
Cheers
Ethereal
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Proportionality only applies where the court is sitting as an EU court, not on domestic matters. I'm sure if you trawl through cases after Wendsbury they mention the bad side of proportionality, but it's hazy memories.
chandni
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
hmmm theres also some dicta from Smith v UK that Proportionality should replace Wednesbury in all cases not just HR cases but the preecedent is only 4 HR cases
completely random
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
There may be some cases somewhere that discuss the merits of proportionality obiter dicta (although obviously as already established it doesn't apply in British law) plus look at some textbooks which should give you a brief introduction to the principle.
P1mP
Rep:
?
For thhose of you who are interested see the case of ex p Daly
I dont need to know anymore
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (551)
37.84%
No - but I will (114)
7.83%
No - I don't want to (102)
7.01%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (689)
47.32%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed