Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

kinda stuck on this question.

In the economy of Zip, the marginal propensity to consume is 0.75.
    Investment is 50 billion, autonomous consumption is 20 billion, govern-
    ment expenditures on goods and services are 40 billion, and autonomous
    taxes are 40 billion.

(a) If Zip has no exports, no imports and no income taxes, write the
    consumption function and calculate the equilibrium expenditure

I got the consumption function C=20+0.75Y which I think is correct but I am stuck on calculating equilibrium expenditure.

I'm aware that equilibrium expenditure = planned aggregate expenditure = gdp, so AE=GDP where AE=Ao+zY.

For autonomous expenditure i've got £110 billion, all i'm stuck on is zY which is induced expenditure, I know i'm meant to use MPC as it's to do with the multiplier effect but not sure on the correct method. Edit: have an answer. As Y = Ao / (1 - z)... Ao + z(Ao/(1-Z)) = AE = Y.. therefore 110 + 0.75(110/(1-0.75)) => Equilibrium expenditure= £440 billion (multiplier is 4).

Any help please? Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.