Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    or do they stop at helium core burning and then turn into planetary nebula?
    (Low mass like the sun's mass i mean)
    thanks
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    When the helium is used up, the main sequence star will start fusion of progressively heavier elements which continues until it gets to iron and then stops.

Fusion of the heavier elements greatly increases the outward thermal pressure which causes it to expand into a red giant before the nuclear reactions finally stop when the fuel runs out and the star collapses to form a white dwarf and nebula.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uberteknik)
    When the helium is used up, the main sequence star will start fusion of progressively heavier elements which continues until it gets to iron and then stops.

Fusion of the heavier elements greatly increases the outward thermal pressure which causes it to expand into a red giant before the nuclear reactions finally stop when the fuel runs out and the star collapses to form a white dwarf and nebula.
    this is for large mass stars i think not low mass
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by >>MMM<<)
    this is for large mass stars i think not low mass
    Oooops. Misread the question.

Then yes, I believe helium is fused to carbon and oxgen which forms a dense ash which collects under gravitational attraction at the core. After shedding the outer layers to form a planetary nebula, the mainly carbon/oxygen core remains to form a white dwarf.

Shell helium flash occurs in stars between 0.6 to 10 solar masses, in a shell outside the core of the star in it's giant phase. When depleted, it allows hydrogen fusion to start in a layer above the helium layer which produces a pulse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uberteknik)
    Oooops. Misread the question.

Then yes, I believe helium is fused to carbon and oxgen which forms a dense ash which collects under gravitational attraction at the core. After shedding the outer layers to form a planetary nebula, the mainly carbon/oxygen core remains to form a white dwarf.

Shell helium flash occurs in stars between 0.6 to 10 solar masses, in a shell outside the core of the star in it's giant phase. When depleted, it allows hydrogen fusion to start in a layer above the helium layer which produces a pulse.
    so can it undergo helium shell burning?! sorry your explanation is above my current level

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.