Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I hope I'm posting this in the right section; feel free to move it if it's not

I am a Year 12 student approaching the end of AS Level (4 weeks back after Easter and then study leave - 6 exams, yay) and I have started looking at uni prospectuses. I definitely know that I want to do something related to Chemistry for uni (and as a career) and when I looked at the courses, I noticed that there is an option to do a year in industry or a year abroad. A year in industry sounds much more beneficial but a year abroad sounds so much more fun so I'm undecided. I know I don't really need to decide straight away but I would love to hear some opinions and experiences which would hopefully help me in choosing later on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoseBrilliante)
    I hope I'm posting this in the right section; feel free to move it if it's not

I am a Year 12 student approaching the end of AS Level (4 weeks back after Easter and then study leave - 6 exams, yay) and I have started looking at uni prospectuses. I definitely know that I want to do something related to Chemistry for uni (and as a career) and when I looked at the courses, I noticed that there is an option to do a year in industry or a year abroad. A year in industry sounds much more beneficial but a year abroad sounds so much more fun so I'm undecided. I know I don't really need to decide straight away but I would love to hear some opinions and experiences which would hopefully help me in choosing later on
    Both a year in industry and a year abroad will be highly beneficial to you so choose which one you think you will enjoy the most - a year is a long time to regret the choice you made just because you thought one would benefit you over the other. Bare in mind that if you spend a year in industry you will get a salary for the year and so financially this will probably be better than the year abroad. Although if the money doesn't bother you go for the year abroad, these are still competitive and won't hinder your career prospects in any way.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2013
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.