Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The pill, can I trust it? Watch

Hey, recently my girlfriend has started taking the pill. We're both clear of any sexually transmited infections, so that is not an issue. The issue at hand is how much can I trust the pill regarding pregenacy?

Recently we had sex and er, I kind of got caught up in the moment and forgot it was without a condom (didn't pull out) - I knew that she was on the pill...I just didn't contemplate how effective is this little tablet? (I was kind of pre-ocupied at the time ) I really, REALLY don't want a child.

Anyone had positive / negative experiances with the pill? cheers.

ReputationRep:
    well its not 100% effective but its more so than condoms so if your happy to trust them then you should trust it.

assuming of course you can trust your girlfriend to take it correctly

ReputationRep:
    I've been on the pill over 2 years and not had a scare yet

ReputationRep:
    You could always pull out the ol' hanger should the pill fail you.

ReputationRep:
    We've been using Pill no condom for ages, it's so much better, I highly recommend it.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    It depends how "recently" she started taking it, whether she has taken it correctly, and, if it's her first pack, what time in her cycle she started taking it.

If it has been taken correctly it will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    It's one of the most reliable methods of contraception provided you take it correctly.
    If your girlfriend is taking hers at the same time every day then you're safe.

Obviously its not 100%, but nothing is.

ReputationRep:
    Been using it for over 5 years. I'm going to stop taking it very soon though.

ReputationRep:
    As others have said, as long as she's taking it correctly you should be fine.

One of my ex's friends believed that the girl only had to take it before sex... *facepalm*

Edited to add - if she takes it more than one month at a time (runs packets together) it may be easier for her to remember. I find it helps me cement the habit.

ReputationRep:
    Better make sure she sets an alarm at first. My ex used to do that. That way your gf will take it properly same time every day.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but only if she's taking it around the same time everyday. Pills have time limits really, so if she doesn't take it within a few hours of the time she took it the day before, it might not work. Hopefully she's read the packet to work out how long she has.

Also, if she has diarrhoea or throws up a few hours after taking the pill, you should wear a condom as she might not have been able to absorb it properly, and if she gets on any new drugs, she needs to check if it will affect the effectiveness of the pill.

If everything is okay, then you'll be fine without a condom.

Thanks for all the feedback. Really usefull to know, um also, i'm thinking about talking to her about it (e.g has she read the instructions, is she following and remembering them) - girls, have you been in a similar situation? If so, were you offended by your boyfriend asking / worrying about it?

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Thanks for all the feedback. Really usefull to know, um also, i'm thinking about talking to her about it (e.g has she read the instructions, is she following and remembering them) - girls, have you been in a similar situation? If so, were you offended by your boyfriend asking / worrying about it?
    I used to get pretty annoyed when my boyfriend asked if I'd taken my pill because it felt like he was patronising me and didn't trust me. Eventually, I just reminded him that I want a baby even less than he does right now and that I take my pill religiously in order to avoid any accidents.

That said, if you express yourself in a supportive manner, e.g. asking her to explain how the pill works and when she has to take it, then you can show that you are supporting her at the same time as checking that she knows what she's doing.

ReputationRep:

Well it's okay to talk to her about it sometimes, just to make sure that you're being safe.

But EVERY TIME me and my boyfriend are having sex, he'll suddenly just stop and say "Have you taken your pill?"

Every damn time.
    It gets irritating, and I know he's just trying to be careful, but he doesn't need to ask all the time. If I've forgotten, I'll know about it and tell him.

Try not to be too condescending. Just ask if you can go through the instructions together and ask if she has an alarm.

ReputationRep:
    I used to get pretty annoyed when my boyfriend asked if I'd taken my pill because it felt like he was patronising me and didn't trust me. Eventually, I just reminded him that I want a baby even less than he does right now and that I take my pill religiously in order to avoid any accidents.

That said, if you express yourself in a supportive manner, e.g. asking her to explain how the pill works and when she has to take it, then you can show that you are supporting her at the same time as checking that she knows what she's doing.
    This anon makes a good point, being considerate and careful is one thing but being patronising is another. Rather than asking her if she's taking it regularly, be a bit more tactical and helpful, such as suggesting the phone alarm idea (I do it, I'd forget more times than I'd like to admit if I didn't use it).

Also, please remember that on top of the warning someone else gave about it being ineffective if she has diarrhoea or has been sick within 2 hours of taking the pill, they are also useless if she's taking antibiotics. If she's ill enough to receive antibiotics from the doctor or even strong over the counter types then the pill is rendered useless. As my friend found out when she fell pregnant with her first child.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, recently my girlfriend has started taking the pill. We're both clear of any sexually transmited infections, so that is not an issue. The issue at hand is how much can I trust the pill regarding pregenacy?

Recently we had sex and er, I kind of got caught up in the moment and forgot it was without a condom (didn't pull out) - I knew that she was on the pill...I just didn't contemplate how effective is this little tablet? (I was kind of pre-ocupied at the time ) I really, REALLY don't want a child.

Anyone had positive / negative experiances with the pill? cheers.
    Fairly effective, no girl I've had sex with 'bare back' (they are always on the pill) got pregnant to my knowledge.

So either the pill is totally ineffective but I am about as barren as the Mojave desert, or the pill does it's job quite well.

ReputationRep:
    If you're really worried about it, dont just her ask if she knows what shes doing, make sure you do too, theres so much info online

There are a few things you have to be aware of like if shes taking antibiotics, you'll need to use a condom a week after shes stopped taking them.

If shes sick or has diarrhea you'll need to use a condom for a week.

If she misses a day.... hope you're beginning to see a pattern here.

But dont worry, as long as its all done properly then there should be no problems

ReputationRep:
    And ive been asked before by 2 different boyfriends about it but they both only asked once and when i said, 'yep i know what im doing' they both dropped it.

Just dont badger her because it comes across as untrusting

I dont trust the pill in the slightest for me personally as i have such a **** memory, so ive got the implant which i think is amazing. But like others have said as long as shes taking it correctly then it should be fine

ReputationRep:
    Depends on which pill. Combined is like 98 % and progesterone only is 95 %. But this is if taken at the same time everyday and not being sick/ diarrhea. But chances are she is taking it properly

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 10, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.