The Student Room Group

Law Unit 4 14th June 2013 (AQA)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DMee9
I'd possibly be more inclined to dive straight in to the self induced rule. If some of the facts of duress are un-necessary to the scenario then it might be wasting time.

A little concerned about the question that's going to come up. Our teachers left us to do it on our own. Stated she 'can't teach us it, it's up to us.' Rubbish. Anyway, hoping it's either Fault or Morality! Covering Justice as I type. Cramming.

Yea my teacher has ditched us for all but the first ever exam, absolutely hate it! I can't figure out my timing or the correct structure for this exam so I'm so worried.

That's what I'd have done with self induced, I just couldn't make out what one of the mark schemes was saying so it panicked me a bit... I've only learned the justice essay I was hoping it would come up again I should have probably checked the past papers! After justice I'd say I like morals and then fault
Reply 261
Original post by Cheese man
Yea my teacher has ditched us for all but the first ever exam, absolutely hate it! I can't figure out my timing or the correct structure for this exam so I'm so worried.

That's what I'd have done with self induced, I just couldn't make out what one of the mark schemes was saying so it panicked me a bit... I've only learned the justice essay I was hoping it would come up again I should have probably checked the past papers! After justice I'd say I like morals and then fault

Yeah it's a nightmare! She just dropped it on us a few weeks ago. It was pretty much like, 'I can't teach you the big question at the end,' and left us to it. Cheers mate...

Seems strange having a 2 hour law exam, so used to a mark a minute 90 minute ones. I'm going to probably spend about 35 minutes each on the scenario questions. Then the rest of the exam on the other question.

I find fault fairly straight forward, some of the things you can chat about are pretty straightforward, such as different levels of fault/sentencing matching the different levels. I'm still unsure on morality. Going over justice I feel more prepared. Just remembering the theorists!
Reply 262
Does the subjective part of Ghosh test take account of defendant's mental disorders?

So, if you conclude that one is not guilty of Theft, as he has not satisfied the subjective part of the Ghosh test (thus was not be acting dishonestly), would you just say "therefore he will not be guilty of Robbery as he has not satisfied the MR of Theft". Or would you still have to discuss Robbery, hypothetically if he was guilty of Theft?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 263
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-LAW04-W-SQP-07.PDF

This is the specimen paper that has that scenario in (scenario 2 with Eddie). I don't think he would have realised that he was acting dishonestly, but the mark scheme mentions a discussion of robbery.
Reply 264
I'm going to put some property offences mind maps I've done into a dropbox for any of you guys to look at and print off, they're tailored for A3 paper but if you have a smart phone probably easier to keep it on your phone, will be up in a bit. :smile:
Reply 265
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9gv1nka0uij1o1y/W8rtC9mQje

Here you are guys, this is a bare basic structure of components in each of the topics my teacher chose to study, I haven't done intox or self-def due to being sick to the back teeth of them, hope at least one of you finds this useful, if you print it on 4 A4's you can stick them together, or just keep it on you smart phone, sorry if you don't find this useful but just the way I learn! :smile:
Reply 266
Original post by Cryl
Does the subjective part of Ghosh test take account of defendant's mental disorders?

So, if you conclude that one is not guilty of Theft, as he has not satisfied the subjective part of the Ghosh test (thus was not be acting dishonestly), would you just say "therefore he will not be guilty of Robbery as he has not satisfied the MR of Theft". Or would you still have to discuss Robbery, hypothetically if he was guilty of Theft?

Yes discus robbery, just explain the ghosh test and at the end of robbery explain why you think he wouldn't be guilty

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 267
Remember each question for the scenario has 2 or 3 components!
Reply 268
Original post by lharto
Yes discus robbery, just explain the ghosh test and at the end of robbery explain why you think he wouldn't be guilty

Posted from TSR Mobile

But to be guilty of Robbery, you need to be guility of Theft. I'd need to conclude whether he is guilty of Theft before moving onto Robbery. Perhaps, I should just say "He may be guilty of Robbery" and then explain Robbery, after which say "although he has not satisfied aspects of Theft hence it is unlikely".
Reply 269
Original post by Cryl
But to be guilty of Robbery, you need to be guility of Theft. I'd need to conclude whether he is guilty of Theft before moving onto Robbery. Perhaps, I should just say "He may be guilty of Robbery" and then explain Robbery, after which say "although he has not satisfied aspects of Theft hence it is unlikely".

That's what I meant, sorry if I didn't make sense:')

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DMee9
Yeah it's a nightmare! She just dropped it on us a few weeks ago. It was pretty much like, 'I can't teach you the big question at the end,' and left us to it. Cheers mate...

Seems strange having a 2 hour law exam, so used to a mark a minute 90 minute ones. I'm going to probably spend about 35 minutes each on the scenario questions. Then the rest of the exam on the other question.

I find fault fairly straight forward, some of the things you can chat about are pretty straightforward, such as different levels of fault/sentencing matching the different levels. I'm still unsure on morality. Going over justice I feel more prepared. Just remembering the theorists!

I don't know if we're taking a big gamble having essays already written for each of the three and just learning those? That's what we did for the evaluation questions on the last exam so hopefully we'll be fine.

I thought I found fault straightforward too but my essay was only a C so I don't know maybe I misunderstood it. For morality I found a really good book that explained three good points. The first was implied consent to sex in marriage, the second was the abortion act and the third was homosexuality - and the book had loads of cases and acts to help you explain :smile:

Are we allowed to answer the scenario section second do you know? I'd want to get my concepts essay over and done with as soon as I get in I think but I don't know if they'd mark it
Reply 271
Original post by Cheese man
I don't know if we're taking a big gamble having essays already written for each of the three and just learning those? That's what we did for the evaluation questions on the last exam so hopefully we'll be fine.

I thought I found fault straightforward too but my essay was only a C so I don't know maybe I misunderstood it. For morality I found a really good book that explained three good points. The first was implied consent to sex in marriage, the second was the abortion act and the third was homosexuality - and the book had loads of cases and acts to help you explain :smile:

Are we allowed to answer the scenario section second do you know? I'd want to get my concepts essay over and done with as soon as I get in I think but I don't know if they'd mark it

You can answer them in any order you want, we've been advised to do concepts first:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Warda3
Can someone give me an out line how to structure law and justice essay

Posted from TSR Mobile

In mine we were told to say 'is it' and 'should it' be based on justice (to what extent)

1st - paragraph define law, use a quote or something then discuss briefly natural law and positivism

2nd - define justice eg - subjective, just desserts, equality, just man and things like that, I also defined liberal/libertarian

3rd - I talk about two or three opposing theorists on defining justice

4th - this is the 'should it' part, I'd talk about justice in the legal system, this can be anything, substantitive law or whatever, I just highlighted key points/areas where the justice line is a bit wavy eg on murder, non fatal mr overlap, defences, trial procedure, also they like legal aid being discussed, or if you studied civil law talk about something where there were issues you saw when studying it

Good luck!
Reply 273
Original post by lharto
That's what I meant, sorry if I didn't make sense:')

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, no, it's okay! ;D
Reply 274
Original post by Atkin94
I only know Law and Morality, how screwed am I...?

TBF there is a high chance of Law and Morality... and if you look through this thread... there was someone talking about some sort of book or something they've subscribed to, and it apparently tells you what is coming up. Non-fatals for unit 3 and apparently Morals for unit 4... so have faith! lol
Reply 275
Hey does anyone have any model answers for
-Law and Morality
-Law and fault
-Balancing conflicting interests

Reply 276
Original post by Lauren:-)
Hey does anyone have any model answers for
-Law and Morality
-Law and fault
-Balancing conflicting interests

i have a law and morality one but not revised fault tbh :/
Original post by Rupesh94
TBF there is a high chance of Law and Morality... and if you look through this thread... there was someone talking about some sort of book or something they've subscribed to, and it apparently tells you what is coming up. Non-fatals for unit 3 and apparently Morals for unit 4... so have faith! lol

Really? Do you think that morals will definitely be on the paper? I want fault to come up but not too sure it will do so because it came up last year. I would hate judicial creativity to come up.

I really hope whoever that person that said morals would come up was right.. non-fatals was on unit 3 this year though so maybe they are right :smile:

I don't know what do you think will come up?
Reply 278
Yeah our teacher only taught us three of the concepts because one of them has to come up haha
Reply 279
Original post by Cryl

Yes Gosh text takes mental disorders into account. Id still discuss the rest of the crime and then say defendant doesn't satisfy men's rea.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest