Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Studying AS physics and I'm stuck on this question, an object has a free fall constant acceleration of 9.81 ms-2 it goes past two light gates during it fall the the time interval between passing the first and the second is 0.269. The distance between the light gate is 1.36m
    a) what is the object speed as it passes the the first light gate?
    b) at what height above the first light was it drooped?
    I have attempted A with the equation v=u+at and I got 2.64 ms and then I thought for B you had to do 2.64/9.81 but the book says its wrong

ReputationRep:
    Well I did speed equals distance over time first nd got that answer but the book says its 3.74 for A and 0.712m for B and I no some answers in text books are wrong sometimes but it's difficult to no which it is

(Original post by Boarde)
    Studying AS physics and I'm stuck on this question, an object has a free fall constant acceleration of 9.81 ms-2 it goes past two light gates during it fall the the time interval between passing the first and the second is 0.269. The distance between the light gate is 1.36m
    a) what is the object speed as it passes the the first light gate?
    b) at what height above the first light was it drooped?
    I have attempted A with the equation v=u+at and I got 2.64 ms and then I thought for B you had to do 2.64/9.81 but the book says its wrong
    In part a) you are given
    s, distance between gates = 1.36m
    a, accele due to gravity = 9.81m/s/s
    t, time taken = 0.269s

There is a suvat equation containing s, u, a and t.
    Use this to find u, the velocity at which it passes the first gate.

When you know this you can use this velocity as the final velocity for the first part of the drop from rest to the 1st light gate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stonebridge)
    In part a) you are given
    s, distance between gates = 1.36m
    a, accele due to gravity = 9.81m/s/s
    t, time taken = 0.269s

There is a suvat equation containing s, u, a and t.
    Use this to find u, the velocity at which it passes the first gate.

When you know this you can use this velocity as the final velocity for the first part of the drop from rest to the 1st light gate.

Thanks for that much appreciated

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.