Turn on thread page Beta

London Met, Middlesex or London college of printing? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I'm out of high school, took a year off to improve my art, and now want to move on. I live in Cyprus, but I have family in London, so I will be moving there this September. Therefore I have no problem about where to stay, and this will be a one-year course.

I've spoken to a few school representatives, read prospectuses etc.. and I've been offered a place in "The London Metropolitan University" and "Middlesex University". I can also apply for "London College of Printing", though a position there is not certain.

The biggest problem? I can't visit these schools personally, or get my family to check them out. so, I pretty much have to rely on random internet information, and decide fairly soon to apply in time.

So here I am, asking if any of you know about these schools, any info would help. Especially personal opinions.

Note, I have an online gallery of art and flash animations at nef.deviantart.com if an example of what I can do will help..

Thanks for your time <3

ReputationRep:
    Hello Nef,
    I do Art A-level (Photography) . I know that LCP (london college of printing) is one of the best in Europe for Photography but don;t know how good they r in other departments.
    I'd strongly recomend you to visit them b4 choosing ur uni. However i can ask my teacher tomorrow.
    I live close to Middlesex University. They have a better reputation for Art than for other subjects.London Metropolitin doesn't have a good reputation either but i don't know about their art department.
    I checked out ur site, v.nice, but What is it that u want to do at uni? fine art, photography etc...lemmi know and i'll ask my teacher about them as i'm sure he knows all about them.

ReputationRep:
    obviously lcp cuz its in the linst. but it really does depend on the subject

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou HamaL, I'd really appreciate that.

Well, I definately do not want to focus on Fine Art - I don't enjoy it, and frankly I'm not all that good at it I prefer cartoonish art and flash animation, and preferably whichever school I go to will have a fairly good department on those matters..

I wish I could visit the schools, but I simply can't afford to. I won't be moving to London until August.

I guess you could ask your teacher about Graphic arts and animation, though I doubt animation is going to have a very big part in foundations. So yeah, graphic/digital art and illustrations, I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    I applied for both Middlesex and LCC (it's now the London College of Communication).
    Middlesex is ok but they are about to Up and audi of the tottenham campus and it's predominantly not very well recognised.

LCC is in my opinion much better. I'm going there in October, it starts later so you have more time to become accustomed to London and it's more "in" London so is predominantly easier to get to and it's more widely recognised.

As far as the places go, Middlesex is still half being built and stuff but the halls are pretty close whereas LCC has JUST been finished and it about to gain University recognition in May.

I'd choose LCC myself it's a very art based place whereas Middlesex is a bit of everything (and a slightly more dangerous area).

Are you from South or Northern Cyprus...That's one of my fave' places, my parents were stationed their for years and lady's fingers are the best!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Oh and even though the Met was doing really well on University Challenge they used to have a drop out rate of like 60% and aren't very well regarded

ReputationRep:
    Cheers Dani I haven't sent out my application for LCC yet (Middlesex and london met i spoke to representatives of, and arranged an application already, there was a british council uni gathering a couple days ago.) - but I will now. Hopefully they'll give me a chance.. being an international student helps, at least.

I'll have to look up where exactly LCC and Middlesex are.. I'm going to be living in North London with my dad.

I've heard many more good things about Middlesex and LCC than London Met.. if I hadn't asked I was going to go with London Met, actually. It's the closest to where I'll live. I'll have to look up more info on them.

I'm from Southern Cyprus, the Greek side. I was born in London and lived there half my life though.. so I have no language problems

ReputationRep:
    Middlesex is spread over a few campuses in North London (I was born in Hendon ) and my sister was going to go there about 18 years ago but she didnt.

London College of Communication (or Printing) is in Elephant & Castle, just over the river from westminster and has a more central location. That's where they do all the graphical art and stuff as opposed to the fine art etc.

I'll get you the map for LCC if you want where all the campuses are.

Both of those Universities are spread out over random places but The London Institute is pretty much together.
    In one department at Middlesex they count Journalism (which I am doing) with computer sciences so I turned up on the open day and there were a load of Trekkies!!!!!

Is this for September/October because many of these places may have a problem accepting you as the deadline for applications were due in on the 15th of January but maybe because your'e international they might make an exception.

ReputationRep:
    Oh and Limmasol is one of my favourite places in the world!!!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I know there might be a problem with the deadline which is why I'm not getting my hopes up..

Though the representative I spoke to from LCC DID give me an application form to send, and they do give international students more time for these things.. so yeah, there's still a chance.

Btw, if you have checked out my site you can see what kind of things are in my CD portfolio that I'm sending with the application - mostly cartoons & flash animations, though I have a couple fine art examples in it also.

At that british council fair thing where I spoke to their representatives.. Middlesex and London Met were fairly eager to accept me which made me a little suspicious.. LCC was more "I have better people to bother with, but you can try anyway, now go away"

ReputationRep:
    Middlesex and London Met are both notorious ex-poly's that have a hard time attracting british students, one of the worst examples of how bad universities convince international students to apply to them is Thames Valley University. The University is like 250th out of 250 Universities and so they spend the majority of their budget on recruiting international students with fancy CD roms, flashy prospectuses and all that malarky when really it's well...a shithole

ReputationRep:
    Hehe, so my suspicions were correct.. wow, I feel loved :rolleyes: Figures, the one place that I'm gonna have trouble getting into is the one I want. Ah, life.

Think I should send some printed out stuff as well as my CD portfolio? (Even though the good stuff's on the CD) ...Will they even LOOK at the CD? Argh.

Oh, and I've been to Limassol a couple times, I'm near Larnaca.

ReputationRep:
    My girlfriend goes to LCC. It is true that for photography it's probably the best school in Britain - though my girlfriend, currently doing a foundation, will attend the London College of Fashion to do Fashion Photography (the only such course in the country - more competitive than Photography at LCC). Anyway, most of the building/refurbishing work will be completed by next October - hence most of the new, state of the art facilities will be ready - quite impressive I must admit. The only problem with LCC is its location: Elephant and Castle - one of the most notoriously dangerous areas in London - it's really squalid - there is a shopping centre adjacent to the college, probably one of the oldest and ugliest in the whole country. The good news is that the borough of Southwark intends to modernise and re-organise the whole are - the bad news is that the expected completion date will be 2008 - so it'll probably still be a **** hole when you leave.

Oh and the student bar is quite cool as well.

Hope I could be of any help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danithestudent)
    Middlesex and London Met are both notorious ex-poly's that have a hard time attracting british students, one of the worst examples of how bad universities convince international students to apply to them is Thames Valley University. The University is like 250th out of 250 Universities and so they spend the majority of their budget on recruiting international students with fancy CD roms, flashy prospectuses and all that malarky when really it's well...a shithole
    Just out of curiosity, what were London met & TVU before they were granted the status of university? Did they just gather up free-standing colleges in their areas and amalgamate them all? I ask because a lot of independent art colleges, theological colleges and teacher training colleges have been 'swallowed up' by the new universities and sometimes so-called 'traditional' universities. I might dig out my old Nat West Student Guide from 1991 and see how many of the colleges profiled in there are currently still in existence.

Too much time on my hands!-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bratcat)
    Just out of curiosity, what were London met & TVU before they were granted the status of university? Did they just gather up free-standing colleges in their areas and amalgamate them all? I ask because a lot of independent art colleges, theological colleges and teacher training colleges have been 'swallowed up' by the new universities and sometimes so-called 'traditional' universities. I might dig out my old Nat West Student Guide from 1991 and see how many of the colleges profiled in there are currently still in existence.

Too much time on my hands!-
    I know that London Met was like North London Polytechnic before....I don't know about TVU.
    Middlesex was Middlesex Polytechnic because my sister nearly went there innnnn 1986 to do Hotel Management lol

ReputationRep:
    As for elephant & castle I stayed there for a few nights with my friend who is at south bank, and I have to say if you know how to handle yourself in London you should be fine. The whole don't go in the subways after dark and stuff and don't use the tube on your own. If I go to a gig I can hitch a lift with people anyway and my brother can organise a car for me as well. So I should be ok

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.