Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I want to start computer repair/maintenance business Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I want to start a computer repair/maintenance business, but the thing is, i dont know where to start or how. I have the skills and knowledge to do it, in fact i'm studying a computer science degree right now at uni. So I thought why not use my skills to start a computer related business to help people who are computer-illiterate or not so good with tech stuff.

I need your help, how shall i start?, what do i need?, what about money?....I own a car, so I was thinking that i could use it to go out to customers...thats a start...I was also thinking a good company website which i can make myself would be good.

What else do i need to do, guide me?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for overwhelming help everyone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 00N)
    Your thread is on quite a specific subject and has been up for less than an hour. Give it a bit of time :yep:

ReputationRep:
    You waited 45 minutes before writing off the entire forum as unhelpful?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 00N)
    It's not even been an hour since you first posted...

Anyway,

Read this: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2272292

If you're going to use your car you'll need to upgrade your insurance to 'business' use.

You'll also need to know where you are going to get your customers from. Tweeting and having a website isn't going to suffice (Despite what people think!). You need to know exactly how you are going to reach your customers and you'll need to know if they will buy, at what price and how often.

If you have skills/ knowledge to do it, you should know what you'll need in order to do the job. Add the cost of it all up (assuming you will be buying it) and that's a good starting point for the cost.

You'll also need some kind of insurance because if you lose your customers data they will probably try and sue you (well, some of them will).

If you're going to go to people's houses, you'll need public liability insurance so if you break their gate or damage their table you are covered.

If you make a website, you'll need to take a look at the rules based around that- you'll need your full name, address and contact details if you're a sole trader (registered office if you're Ltd), implied cookie consent etc...

Check out the competition and see what you can do better.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for replying to my post so quickly, 00N.

ReputationRep:
    The thing these days is a lot of people know a fair amount of general computer use so you need to stick out in some way. Definitely stick some flyers around your area and offer your service free for over the phone problems, that way customers may pass your contact details around. When it comes to you physically going to someone or fixing hardware or other maintenance then you can charge and if you cant fix their problem dont charge them.

It could work but look at what Runninground posted above for the actual important things you need.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry about the late reply, I had to take a break after the overwhelming response. Anyways, @Runninground, you gave me great advice.
    So, firstly, I'm going to make plan what I need, from what I gather, I need insurance, repair tools, a website and promotion, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 00N)
    Sorry about the late reply, I had to take a break after the overwhelming response. Anyways, @Runninground, you gave me great advice.
    So, firstly, I'm going to make plan what I need, from what I gather, I need insurance, repair tools, a website and promotion, right?
    Yes, you'll also need stuff like domains (.com & .co.uk is best), hosting, premisis (your house/ flat I assume), etc.

Google is your friend when starting a business. https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ho...hrome&ie=UTF-8

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Runninground)
    Yes, you'll also need stuff like domains (.com & .co.uk is best), hosting, premisis (your house/ flat I assume), etc.

Google is your friend when starting a business. https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ho...hrome&ie=UTF-8
    You're a star

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 9, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.