Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I go to a public school and we were recently given our options for GCSE, however, there were only 4 options for us to choose and 3 if we choose to do triple science instead of additional

I see people here with over 13 GCSEs and I have only come to a total of 10

I haven't decided on a career path yet and it gets increasingly frustrating every time an adult asks, so I want as many GCSEs as I can to allow me a wider range of choices when the time comes

There are so many career path that I would like to follow and it's really hard to choose one!

I have chosen geography, French, computing and triple science

But there were some options that I really would like to choose but couldn't such as business studies and music, music would be really easy for me because I play the piano

So my question is, is there any way I can complete courses on my own at home since I have plenty of spare time and take the exam with the school or on my own with an examiner?

I did Spanish for 2 years and I have spoken to my school, they said I could enter on my own if I wanted because there was no coursework involved, but what about subjects such as business studies?

thanks!

ReputationRep:
    When I done my GCSE's, English was separated into two qualifications (Language and Literature) does yours do this too? This will give you an extra GCSE. You shouldn't worry too much about how many GCSE's you achieve, this won't really affect you in the future as long as you gain your C or above in English and Maths, and any other relevant courses you need for college and university.

In regards to completing courses on your own - if you're academically able and your school recognises this, then they will probably allow you to study in your own free time and be entered for the exam. I'd enquire about this with the subject teacher, and stress that you will keep on top of the work, and possibly mention you're willing to give up free time outside of school hours, or after school sessions to help you. When you compare GCSE's to A Levels, they seem like a piece of cake.. so one extra subject won't harm you!

ReputationRep:
    Well if you wanted to take some courses at college for instance geography you wouldn't need it at GCSE, so you could go striaght into it. I would say do additional science unless you want to do science at college- it just gives you a good foundation to start on. But you really only need additional to do any science at college so you'd be fine.

The most important thing is to choose the subjects you enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    Officially, you only need 5, or 8 at a stretch. Unis and employers don't care about the numbers as long as you have at least that many, not counting extenuating circumstances. Anyway, it's often better to be able to focus more time on core subjects and then have extra curriculars to widen an application. EG, instead of doing Music, Drama and IT you could do some ABRSM instrument and theory grades, LAMDA and a computer course.(can't think of one off the top of my head.)

Because those a levels and degree courses don't tend to require the actual GCSE, you're able to do gcses that are required for a level. For example, if you decide you want to be a doctor and you haven't done the sciences...bad luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Most state schools give a maximum of 9-11 GCSEs at the most. The school I go to, for example, some people are doing 9, some 10, and a minority are doing 11 (statistics GCSE)... Private schools, however, allow you to take more subjects... but at the end of the day quality is better than quantity and most sixth forms/colleges will expect you to have 5 A*-Cs... so you'll be fine!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.