Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Talking to a massive black guy at the gym
    He started the same time as i did (3 months ago) at 40kg like i did eith no prior training

He now benches 90x6
    I bench 60x8

Wtd how did he gain so fast. He says he trains bench everytime he gyms which is 2-3 times a week but...
    I bench once a week

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cyfer)
    Talking to a massive black guy at the gym
    He started the same time as i did (3 months ago) at 40kg like i did eith no prior training

He now benches 90x6
    I bench 60x8

Wtd how did he gain so fast. He says he trains bench everytime he gyms which is 2-3 times a week but...
    I bench once a week

Posted from TSR Mobile
    He could be taking certain things to aid him in muscle building, i.e. creatine or any post-workout supplement. I, personally, train each muscle directly once per week, but I try to hit it hard for that session. Roughly around 5-6 sets for the big muscles (back, chest, legs, etc), and around 4 for the smaller ones (triceps, biceps, etc).

Thing is, everyone is different. Routines and styles fit everyone, try and switch your routine around a bit. See what works for you. I was always told to train three times a week, all the same muscles, when I first started. I hated it that way. As soon as I switched to my own routine, it was perfect. Gains were coming fast and strong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cyfer)
    Talking to a massive blackguy at the gym

He now benches 90x6
    I bench 60x8

I bench once a week

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's your answer

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You say he is "massive"...was he "massive" at the point he started or has he gained a significant amount of muscle mass since he started 3 months ago?

If he gained a lot of muscle there is a chance he's on a little something, if you know what I mean.

If he was already pretty big (frame size, some muscle), he is obviously going to gain quite quickly initially, and perhaps 40kg was very light for him at the start and he was actually already capable of repping 60-70kg and just wanted to work up from a light weight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by In One Ear)
    You say he is "massive"...was he "massive" at the point he started or has he gained a significant amount of muscle mass since he started 3 months ago?

If he gained a lot of muscle there is a chance he's on a little something, if you know what I mean.

If he was already pretty big (frame size, some muscle), he is obviously going to gain quite quickly initially, and perhaps 40kg was very light for him at the start and he was actually already capable of repping 60-70kg and just wanted to work up from a light weight.
    Not sure, I only met him today.

His arms are friggin huge though for 3 months. He's probably 6'1"-6'3" with maybe 15%+ bodyfat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cyfer)
    Not sure, I only met him today.

His arms are friggin huge though for 3 months. He's probably 6'1"-6'3" with maybe 15%+ bodyfat
    He cannot be that big, I don't class myself as huge and I'm benching a lot more than 90kg for 8 reps. If he has only been training for three months then a 90kg bench is decent however, there's so many variables.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinda.college)
    He cannot be that big, I don't class myself as huge and I'm benching a lot more than 90kg for 8 reps. If he has only been training for three months then a 90kg bench is decent however, there's so many variables.
    I see guys benching 90kg that look average/skinny until they start lifting and their muscles be popping out of ****ing nowhere.

This guy has that looks where his muscles are already there, I doubt they pop out much when he lifts.

ReputationRep:
    If he's as big as you say then at 90kg he's still probably not benching his bodyweight. Depends. If that's the case then it isn't that out of the ordinary.

ReputationRep:

This

(Original post by printergirl)
    That's your answer

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think not, this is a total misconception not back by anything - in fact most of the anecdotal evidence of any merit points towards the opposite being true.

ReputationRep:
    I was making crazy dumbbell gains, I went all the way up to 20kg each arm in 3 months until I developed sharp pains in my left forearm. I can go higher my right arm but I didn't want disjointed gains.

ReputationRep:
    Well if he's followed a compound and isolation routine, probably 5x5 or 10x10 and used proper supps such as creatine etc and proper bulking diet for 3 months then it is possible.

Benching twice a week probably helps, although this is necessarily correct for everyone. If he's hitting both muscle type fibres then his growth would be massive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2ndClass)
    I was making crazy dumbbell gains, I went all the way up to 20kg each arm in 3 months until I developed sharp pains in my left forearm. I can go higher my right arm but I didn't want disjointed gains.
    Eh...what dumbbells did you start with? Wasn't me who negged btw.

ReputationRep:
    Eh...what dumbbells did you start with? Wasn't me who negged btw.
    10kg

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 10, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.