Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Starting to act - take lessons or just apply for jobs? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I used to be painfully shy but something changed over the last few years. I started writing and making videos for fun and realized that I really love acting but I've never acted with/in front of other people - I'm not sure if I would be completely terrified or not. I've seen websites advertising jobs for actors with no experience - should I just apply and see how I cope or take acting classes first? I'm not even sure where to take classes since I've done the whole college/uni thing and don't want to do it all over again - I'd rather just have lessons but not work towards a degree really.

I suppose most people start acting in school/uni but I never got involved back then so I'm trying to figure out how to do it as a graduate of a completely different subject with zero experience. Ideas?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    So I used to be painfully shy but something changed over the last few years. I started writing and making videos for fun and realized that I really love acting but I've never acted with/in front of other people - I'm not sure if I would be completely terrified or not. I've seen websites advertising jobs for actors with no experience - should I just apply and see how I cope or take acting classes first? I'm not even sure where to take classes since I've done the whole college/uni thing and don't want to do it all over again - I'd rather just have lessons but not work towards a degree really.

I suppose most people start acting in school/uni but I never got involved back then so I'm trying to figure out how to do it as a graduate of a completely different subject with zero experience. Ideas?
    Hey there! I was the same...I used to be painfully shy - that's why my parents sent me to drama class when I was like 4. I recommend going to like an informal fun acting class to begin and see if you enjoy it or not. As you're doing that you can also apply for those 'no experienced required' places as well for more experience at the side. I mean, there's not always a chance you'll get in them anyways so you might as well have the drama school thing to fall back on. Try something like Helen O'Gradys etc that's for fun, don't take it too seriously until you're definitely sure you can cope...maybe if you have a youth centre that has drama stuff going on? Really just get involved with whatever you can good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lafox)
    Hey there! I was the same...I used to be painfully shy - that's why my parents sent me to drama class when I was like 4. I recommend going to like an informal fun acting class to begin and see if you enjoy it or not. As you're doing that you can also apply for those 'no experienced required' places as well for more experience at the side. I mean, there's not always a chance you'll get in them anyways so you might as well have the drama school thing to fall back on. Try something like Helen O'Gradys etc that's for fun, don't take it too seriously until you're definitely sure you can cope...maybe if you have a youth centre that has drama stuff going on? Really just get involved with whatever you can good luck!
    Thanks, I'll look in to Helen O'Gradys and see if there's a local class

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    Thanks, I'll look in to Helen O'Gradys and see if there's a local class
    I'm not sure what age they go up to though! But normally if there is one, there's another in the same place that you kinda of graduate on to/ is for the older peeps...in my case it would be fusion theatre! Good luck with your acting hope you find a cool place!

ReputationRep:
    Look in to an amateur dramatic society in your area or a Stagecoach. If you want to do acting work the more experience you get, the better!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.