Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If you could settle in any country you wanted which would it be and why? Watch

• View Poll Results: Which country would you prefer to settle in?
    United Kingdom
    12.96%
    Ireland
    1.85%
    United States
    25.93%
    Canada
    12.96%
    Australia
    9.26%
    New Zealand
    11.11%
    France
    7.41%
    Spain
    0%
    Finland
    0%
    Norway
    0%
    Switzerland
    3.70%
    Denmark
    0%
    Germany
    5.56%
    Netherlands
    0%
    Portugal
    1.85%
    Other (Please specify)
    7.41%

ReputationRep:
    Title says it all.

Note: I am not referring to a tourists perspective of the country, you have to think about settling, the education and health systems, politics, nature and climate, people, job opportunities for you career, language spoken etc.

I've included the most desirable countries to me in the poll.'

Also please posts the reasons for choosing the country.

I have lived in both the United Kingdom and Canada.

From my experience, you end up saving a bit more in the UK but both countries are quite expensive. The UK seems to have a more active government than Canada. Canada tends to be more liberal. Education (below tertiary level) are very different in the 2 countries, the high school stuff is very different from GCE A Levels.

Canada's nature is much more pleasant for me but that depends on the area. Canadians tend to me much more endearing and kind than the British and there are less people that are the type to which you want to scream "Get a life".

What's awesome about the place I lived in Canada is you can drive a car supervised at the age of 14 and unsupervised at 16. You have to get used to the Left hand drive vehicles driving on the right side of the road though. Its a different experience handling the gear with a different hand. (I prefer the right hand)

Overall they are similar countries, with the UK having the advantage of earning more and Canada having the nicer people. I find myself a bit awkward because they have a different accent there and spell differently.

I actually like the weather in Canada in the Winter as its fun to have snow but everyone spends a lot of time covering up before going out.

Overall if I had to stay in a single country, I'd go with Canada but I like my dual country lifestyle. I wouldn't mind living in Canada, Australia and the UK at the same time though if I could handle it.

ReputationRep:
    United States. Cheap petrol, and awesome cars.

No, I haven't given this much thought!

I actually like where I live (Scotland) a hell of a lot. I can't see myself moving any time soon.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't want to move from here

But if I had to, I'd move to Canada.

Really sunny in summer, really snowy in winter, speak english, people very friendly, good healthcare and infrastructure etc etc etc

ReputationRep:
    I'm torn between the US or Switzerland. I guess I would probably go with the US, simply because its so varied, in terms of landscape, climate, economy, and such.

ReputationRep:
    Hong Kong. It feels like a second home to me. I have family there and Hong Kong is a lot like London (I live in London). The people in Hong Kong speak English and are lovely and I'd love to learn how to speak Cantonese. The education in Hong Kong is supposed to really good. It's warm all year round too!

ReputationRep:
    Australia, it's hot, they're well off, and they're really nice people.

ReputationRep:
    Germany. Have tried it, and liked it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1992LP)
    United States. Cheap petrol, and awesome cars.

No, I haven't given this much thought!

I actually like where I live (Scotland) a hell of a lot. I can't see myself moving any time soon.
    Is your accent easy to understand?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MsCourtney)
    Is your accent easy to understand?
    I don't have an accent, so yes!

ReputationRep:
    Italy is not on the list. I would choose Italy.

ReputationRep:
    UK my friends live here, i can always go holidays as i please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiggyTopes)
    Australia, it's hot, they're well off, and they're really nice people.
    Why you no vote then?

Would like to try Aus at some stage I think, if I had to choose somewhere right now to definitively settle for the rest of my life and had the financial means to start off with, it would be Aus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seaton)
    Why you no vote then?

Would like to try Aus at some stage I think, if I had to choose somewhere right now to definitively settle for the rest of my life and had the financial means to start off with, it would be Aus.
    There was no poll before, I'll vote now...

ReputationRep:
    I love the UK to be honest and I really like living in London. Although I hope in the future to be a diplomat and so living abroad is kind of a given! However I always want to have some sort of a base in London.

Next year I would like to study abroad for a semester and am hoping that I will be in Canada for that as well.

ReputationRep:
    Australia or New Zealand.

ReputationRep:
    NZ! Highest amount of freedom of any country, great cultures, still get to keep the Queen, and the landscapes are so awesome they shot the Lord of the Rings there. Having been to America on holiday I know now I wouldn't be able to survive more than a month there.

Would be tough to leave the old Blighty though.

ReputationRep:
    Probably in a country where men are actually teated like proper citizens and aren't undermined at every opportunity. From the ones on the list, only Germany comes close. Every other country no thanks Jeff. Especially Scandinavian countries are a no go. I

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ultimate1)
    Probably in a country where men are actually teated like proper citizens and aren't undermined at every opportunity. From the ones on the list, only Germany comes close. Every other country no thanks Jeff. Especially Scandinavian countries are a no go. I
    How are men not treated like proper citizens in these countries?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tjf8)
    NZ! Highest amount of freedom of any country, great cultures, still get to keep the Queen, and the landscapes are so awesome they shot the Lord of the Rings there. Having been to America on holiday I know now I wouldn't be able to survive more than a month there.

Would be tough to leave the old Blighty though.
    What is special about keeping the Queen?
    Why you wouldn't be able to survive in America (Do you mean USA or the continent including Canada etc)?

ReputationRep:
    Australia.

More jobs.

Will be developing for a long time to come.

Can afford a larger house for the same price as a box in England.

Isn't overpopulated.

Controlled immigration.

The only problem is bad TV and I'd miss my mum.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.