Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,
    i completed an Access to Humanities course in Edinburgh in 2010 and went straight on to university. Upon starting my second year of university I ran into some difficulties and am currently on an AIS (authorised interruption of studies) and am due to return to university in August/September of this year. Currently I feel I am not able to return and am also wondering whether or not I chose the right course for me.
    My question is: does anyone know if I am able to apply to a different university at some point in the future with my previous Access course being my qualification or does this expire? And if I am able to, what difficulties might I encounter (such as not being favoured as much as a student who has just completed the course or not being favoured because I have previously left uni) Also, would I still be eligible for student loan/bursary if I were to choose to do this?
    Thanks in advance,
    Katie

ReputationRep:
    Access course runs out 3 years after obtaining the qualification. Can you not transfer within the uni and do a foundation degree in the subject you wish to pursue? With finance, it does become difficult because you are slowly building more and more debt, which us highly unlikely to be repaid by one person doing a singular degree!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kwalkk7)
    Hi all,
    i completed an Access to Humanities course in Edinburgh in 2010 and went straight on to university. Upon starting my second year of university I ran into some difficulties and am currently on an AIS (authorised interruption of studies) and am due to return to university in August/September of this year. Currently I feel I am not able to return and am also wondering whether or not I chose the right course for me.
    My question is: does anyone know if I am able to apply to a different university at some point in the future with my previous Access course being my qualification or does this expire? And if I am able to, what difficulties might I encounter (such as not being favoured as much as a student who has just completed the course or not being favoured because I have previously left uni) Also, would I still be eligible for student loan/bursary if I were to choose to do this?
    Thanks in advance,
    Katie
    I completed my Access Course in 2009, and it is still valid, there is no expiry date on it. I received unconditional offers to study Sept 2013 - some 4 years after gaining my certificate, and after completing a year of University elsewhere.

You won't really encounter many 'problems' unless the course you want to do is completely different to what you're doing now, and if the Access you did isn't a relevant qualification for that degree. IE if you did Access to Science, you couldn't use it for, say, a new Law or History degree.

As for funding, you said you started your second year - how long did you complete of that year? Did you get funding for the full year? If so, you might be restricted a little with regards to funding. You are eligible for Year of Your Course + 1 - previous study. So if your second year counts as a year, you'd have to fund year 1 of a new degree. However, if you have compelling reasons for leaving university, such as health etc and provide evidence, you'd be able to get a year back, and receive full funding.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.