Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi. i am recently trying for the raf. i hav an interview next tuesday which im quite confident with but im finding it hard with my fitness. i can do the 2.4km run in 16minutes but i need to be able to do it in 13.26. And im struggling with my sit ups. i can do 22 but need to do 32 in a minute. has anyone got any advice how can i get better quickly. i dont know how long ive got after my interview for my medical and fitness test. i really dont want to fail it because i really want to join. thxs

ReputationRep:
    There is no quick fix. Just get training 5x a week until a few days before your test.

There is a six week fitness program on the RAF Careers website that I'd advise you use as a base.

16 minutes is quite a high time though, I would advise to speak to someone at your AFCO rather than just going to your fitness test knowing you aren't ready. You have a big time to make up!

Chris

ReputationRep:
    With your running its simply get out there and train.

Split your running up in to groups;

Mondays: Sprint work. - Centre of a football pitch (somewhere you can mark out a distance) jog at a slow but steady pace to one goal, turn around and sprint to the centre. Then from the centre jog again at a slow but steady pace to the other goal. Repeat.

Tuesdays; a long run but at a slow pace, if you can't talk easy you're going too fast.

Wednesdays; rest

Thursdays; Running for 5 minutes at a steady pace, then walking for 2.5 minutes - repeat

Fridays; swimming, yes swimming!

As for your sit ups; try working out with a weight on your chest. Adding this extra weight wi be hard, but it will shock your muscles into working and building harder.

Also; squats and plank will greatly help you with your sit ups!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I applied for Officer in 2010 and got my time down to 11:14 but ended up failing at OASC during the group stages.

I am currently going through the process for Intelligence Analyst and have got my time down to 12:26 so far (my interview is a week on Friday). My aim is to get below 12 minutes again.

At the moment I am doing the following;

Monday - REST

Tuesday -Fitness Test (best effort) - I increase the speed each week. Yesterday I ran on 7.2 mph, slowly increasing the speed after 1 mile to finish on 8.5 mph.

Wednesday - 3 mile run

Thursday - REST

Friday - Interval training (1 minute fast walk, 1 minute jog about 6mph, 1 minute run at 8.5 mph - continued for about 30 minutes)

Saturday - 3 mile run

Sunday - Interval training (as above)

This schedule has really helped me. I work different muscle groups on different days to increase strength. Abs I work every day - usually doing about 100 crunches on the sit up bench.

With the pressups and situps the best thing to do is do a couple of sets of each a day - maybe 3 sets of 5-10 press ups (knees to start) and 3 sets of around 20-25 sit ups. You should see an improvement!

Hope this was a help in some way. If you want to ask any more questions please do

ReputationRep:
    Forgot to say I usually do the 3 mile run on about 5.8/6.0 mph

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all ur help. I will try all of ur suggestions :-). Managed to do 32 sit ups today in minute and a half. i just need to keeo pushin myself.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Good luck to you too :-)
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Get off the treadmill and mix up the running and sprinting and you'll get faster. Plodding at a steady speed on a treadmill and you'll never improve.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.