Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got any tips on essay writing techniques?

Good ways to revise etc?

ReputationRep:
    Revise by making essay plans and doing past papers by planning the question (extremely well) then doing each one in timed conditions. Revise the periods you are weak on and can't remember, and make a fact sheet of all the little raw facts such a dates and certain people and parties. My favourite layout is to always break it down to circumstances, beliefs/ideas and actions events with mini conclusions after each one and a large conclusion wrapping it all up at the end.
    Hope this helps
    P.S What is the period you are doing? I am doing "Russia in Turmoil 1900-1921"

ReputationRep:
    If you are doing 'from autocracy to communism' i would advise the same as above. However made mind maps of events too. Say 1905 make a mind map of the causes of the revolution.

ReputationRep:
    Are you doing AS or A2?

At AS you can get an A by working through the question in chronological order and briefly theming. Such as social, political, and economic reforms (if that is at all relevant). If you get examples in then you should be ok for a top grade. As long as you are relatively proficcient in writing.

At A2 working chronologically will get you a C. Again you need to theme, but this time in more depth, perhaps 5 or 6 themes and each paragraph would be one. Instead of working chronologically you must mention each leader (at least 2/3 times in the essay), covering all the way from Alexander II (or Nicholas I if you want to show off) all the way to Khrushchev making sure you make a comparison and judgement in regards to the question. A strong argument set out in the introduction and maintained throughout will secure you an A grade answer.

For revision, at AS you can just read over major things such as the revolutions and war, downfall of Tsarism, etc. It will provide the evidence for your essays.

At A2, it will help if you organise your revision into themes: domestic policy, war, industry, economy etc. from there make notes on each leader as it will help significantly when making comparisons and judgements in your essay.

Message me for more detail/help

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.