Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Currently looking at the US section and stuck on immigration.

Who supports immigration and who doesn't and why?

I have some reasons for (cheap labour, they do the job Americans don't want to do, gives them a better life in America) and some against (costs government billions in border control, cultural tension/hostility and creates more competition for Americans), but I can't think of any other reasons.

If anyone could help that'd be great

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, i am also studying higher modern studies and funnily enough i was stuck on the USA immigration topic also. I searched online and found a plan which a teacher from another school had put online. It says this:
    Economic impact:

• Immigrants do low paid jobs that others will not which allows America to stay competitive
    • Wage levels are forced down by immigrants – therefore immigrations hurts the poor in USA
    • Cost to taxpayer through the facilities used by immigrants eg children of illegal immigrants receive free schooling HOWEVER illegal immigrants do not receive more than emergency medical care, and also it has been shown that they do contribute to taxes.
    • Cost of investment to border security

Cultural impact:

• US culture being overwhelmed – In California by 2030 Hispanics are forecast to be the majority.
    • America as a ‘melting pot’ of nations benefits from increased diversity.
    • Illegal immigrants increase crime in America and contribute to the trade in drugs, particularly as many are used as drug ‘mules’ as they travel into America, HOWEVER, there are many immigrants who are not involved in crime themselves and provide a much needed workforce to service industries and farming industries.

Political impact

• Political disputes and lack of guidance at the federal level has led to greater conflict in border regions and to individual states passing new laws to reduce illegal immigration – eg Arizona law.
    • Impact of increase in minority ethnic vote – growing Hispanic population increases their influence at election time. – positive for minority groups, but could be seen as a negative impact by the ‘white establishment’ within America

So if you follow those main points and add to them and have a balanced argument etc then you have yourself an adequate essay!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lala4)
    Hi there, i am also studying higher modern studies and funnily enough i was stuck on the USA immigration topic also. I searched online and found a plan which a teacher from another school had put online. It says this:
    Economic impact:

• Immigrants do low paid jobs that others will not which allows America to stay competitive
    • Wage levels are forced down by immigrants – therefore immigrations hurts the poor in USA
    • Cost to taxpayer through the facilities used by immigrants eg children of illegal immigrants receive free schooling HOWEVER illegal immigrants do not receive more than emergency medical care, and also it has been shown that they do contribute to taxes.
    • Cost of investment to border security

Cultural impact:

• US culture being overwhelmed – In California by 2030 Hispanics are forecast to be the majority.
    • America as a ‘melting pot’ of nations benefits from increased diversity.
    • Illegal immigrants increase crime in America and contribute to the trade in drugs, particularly as many are used as drug ‘mules’ as they travel into America, HOWEVER, there are many immigrants who are not involved in crime themselves and provide a much needed workforce to service industries and farming industries.

Political impact

• Political disputes and lack of guidance at the federal level has led to greater conflict in border regions and to individual states passing new laws to reduce illegal immigration – eg Arizona law.
    • Impact of increase in minority ethnic vote – growing Hispanic population increases their influence at election time. – positive for minority groups, but could be seen as a negative impact by the ‘white establishment’ within America

So if you follow those main points and add to them and have a balanced argument etc then you have yourself an adequate essay!
    Wow, this is a big help, thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Officegirl4)
    Wow, this is a big help, thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No problem, glad to be of assistance

ReputationRep:
    hi, i am doing higher modern studies this year and was wondering if you could help me? i have to do an essay based on the question "issues is the number one factor affecting voting behaviour, explain" no idea what to include so this is what i have done so far ...
    Issues are the number one factor affecting voting behaviour. There are many factors that affect voting behaviour but the one that most influences people on who they vote for are issues. Some other factors that affect voting behaviour are media, age, geography, and social class. In order to choose a party to vote for it is beneficial to research the parties to be able to know who you want to vote for. Most people look at what issues is brought up within the parties. An example of this is labour, who are largely based on health and education. If you are someone who is studying at school university or college, you are likely to be interested in what labour has to say as it is concerning you. Health is a huge issue as it concerns everyone therefore everyone will be automatically drawn to labours proposals. Liberal democrats matter is the environment, voters who want change or more involvement with the environment will want to vote for them as there issue attracts them most. People are influenced by what parties plan and set out to do in their manifestos if they win at election therefore, individuals vote depending on their problems so choose a party who meet them.
    Media is another factor which affects voting behaviour

this is supposed to be at least 2 pages and i havent even done half a page! its due on wednesday so i havent got much time i what really appreciate some help even if its just a couple of points i could put in or what the structure should be like i know now you must have either finished the course or are a good way through so you will have lots of knowlege on it !thanks for reading this anyways !

stephanie xoxo

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.