Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    We have begun to fill in the forms online. Daughter applying to York for Chem with a year in Industry. Tuition fees at YORK £9,000. As soon as course is inputted, amount for Tuition fees states: Tuition Fee of up to £3465. This is incorrect. We are not going to do anymore until this is rectified.
    Please can you help?

ReputationRep:
    I phoned student finance England. Firstly was told that Mchem course was ineligible for funding at all! The call centre bod had got this from his 2nd tier manager. I asked to speak to the supervisor at which point it was "discovered" that that info was wrong because it was an integrated course. We had 10 mins of purgatory waiting for this response.
    As to the mistake and tuition fees of £3465 being offered was the result of an incorrectly ticked box. There was a question about GCE on the online form which daughter had ticked in error.
    I was advised earlier we should continue with the form even if amount was incorrect.I explained my understanding of "contract law" saying that if I agreed to an insufficient amount of loan, I would be committed to that amount. It was at that point the bod discovered the error.
    All this serves to highlight how inept yet another government department is.
    Incidentally surely at this time of year it is normal to expect a "high call volume" and so staffing and phone lines should be increased to deal with the expected surge in call volume.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi Crikey,

Sorry to hear that you were given incorrect information from an adviser on your call and thanks for your insight.

Student loan amounts can vary throughout the year for a number of reasons and for this reason we don't ask students to sign to confirm the amounts of loan they are offered once their application has been processed.

Instead we ask them to provide their signature to confirm that they accept the terms and conditions of the loan funding only. The declaration that they sign doesn't have any amounts printed on it.

Thanks,
    Mark-Lee

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.