Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have to say I am really annoyed that as a final year nursing student my maintenence loan has been reduced by £420. Our final year is 45 weeks and runs September - September, unlike other course subjects who finish in the summer. When phoning SFE to ask why I was told that all students are entitled to less in their final year without exception. Whilst I understand that it makes sense that if your academic year is shorter then you should get less for that year, but ours is not. I don't see how this is fair, we struggle enough financially anyway due to the low amount of financial support we get from SFC & NHS bursaries anyway. We all struggle to find time to work to boost our income because we have to juggle study, lectures and placements 5 days a week unlike other subjects. I'm sorry to have such a rant but myself and peers struggle enough financially anyway and next year will now be even tighter because of this. I just don't see how it is fair!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi Emily,

Really sorry about this and I can certainly understand your frustrations. We assess students for student finance based on a set of funding regulations and we don't have any discretion over this unfortunately.

As is stands we have to treat NHS student applications for final year in the same way as other courses even though they are in study for longer.

Sorry again,
    Mark-Lee

ReputationRep:
    Hi Mark-Lee,

Thank-you for your response.

I understand there are rules and regulations to adhere to. Where can we as students put this issue forward to as it makes no sense to assess us at the same rate as students who 1) spend less hours throughout the week in study and 2) whose academic year is far shorter than ours. It just makes no sense and we are being penalised because we spend more time studying.

We (myself & the rest of my cohort) would like to write to the powers at be to raise this issue, I understand that it will make no difference to those of us who are affected by this now. But we feel that it should be addressed and if enough of us bring it to the attention of those in the ivory towers maybe, just maybe they might see how little sense it makes.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.