Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you cut your dogs nails? Watch

ReputationRep:
    The vet and the dog trainer have both told my mum to go ahead and cut our pups nails if they look like they're getting too long or sharp but neither she nor I fancy doing it. His nails are rather sharp but not too long - my mum takes him out twice every day but they go to the woods, beach or fields to let him have a good run, so his nails don't really get worn down like they would on the pavement.

I was wondering if anyone has experience on cutting a dogs nails? What do you use to cut them? And how can you know how much to cut off when they have black nails and you can't see the blood supply? He doesn't go to the groomers because he's short haired

ReputationRep:
    If you take your dog on walks on the pavement, they will naturally file down like nails on a nail file.
    However, if not, you are better off using using something similar to these.

It is pretty self explanatory how you use them. =)

EDIT:
    If nails are not kept within a certain length, then it can make walks uncomfortable for the said dog.

EDIT2:
    Most dogs DO NOT like having their nails cut.

ReputationRep:
    I don't because I'm scared I will hurt her. Usually they go down from walks but she tends to favour grass rather than the hard pavement. If they get too long you can get it done relatively cheaply by a animal groomer or vet.

ReputationRep:
    I would take the puppy to a vet or dog groomer so they can show you how to do it before you try it for the first time yourselves. If you cut the cuticle then it is extremely painful and will bleed a lot which won't be a nice experience for the pup. My dog had his cut too short (we think) before he was 8 weeks old and he still remembers to this day (4 yo now). Please take the pup to someone experienced rather than try yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachel.h)
    The vet and the dog trainer have both told my mum to go ahead and cut our pups nails if they look like they're getting too long or sharp but neither she nor I fancy doing it. His nails are rather sharp but not too long - my mum takes him out twice every day but they go to the woods, beach or fields to let him have a good run, so his nails don't really get worn down like they would on the pavement.

I was wondering if anyone has experience on cutting a dogs nails? What do you use to cut them? And how can you know how much to cut off when they have black nails and you can't see the blood supply? He doesn't go to the groomers because he's short haired
    A dog's hindleg nails will be worn down naturally, however the foreleg nails won't be.

My advice would be to just watch them and see what their 'starting point' is and use it as a reference, it's not the end of the world if the nail gets too long as it's quite thick and hardy. You can also gauge it by the amount of curvature, by tucking a finger up into the curve of the nail and feeling how much it wraps around your nail (as a cut nail will be almost straight, and then curves downwards as it grows)

edit: the jerk when you cut the nail will make the dog flinch anyway, regardless of whether you clipped the nerves or not, so that's not an indicator. Use a treat to distract and the dog will get used to it after doing it 5/6 times

ReputationRep:
    No, we get our dog's nails cut at the vet.

It's very fidgety and especially difficult with our dog because she has black nails so it's difficult to see how far up to cut.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    No. Neither my parents nor me cut the nails of our dog. Our dog care the nails by itself.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    With one, they seem to file down and the other one gets his done at the vets. Mum did them one time and she thinks she cut down too far. And he doesn't like it either.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Our dog dislike it to cut the nails. Whenever our dog has problems with nails, it nibbles on them.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I cut them and have cut other pets nails too. If you aren't sure go to the vets first and a vet nurse (probably) will show you. It's much safer than guessing and getting it wrong. I've used both a variety of clippers (the kind with a hole that the nail inserts into is my favourite with small animals generally) and those devices that grind down the nail. With the latter it takes time getting dogs used to it but once that's done it's really easy especially for dogs that fidget more than most.

ReputationRep:
    If your dog is walked on the pavement then they tend to wear the nails down enough on their own, but if it is walked mainly on grass then they will probably need cutting at some point. Even if you walk on pavement the dew claws (the ones slightly higher up the leg) will probably need cutting anyway.

You can cut them using normal human style nail clippers, or buy animal ones from the vet, pet shops etc (which may be easier to use). It is probably worth getting a vet or someone who is confident with what they are doign to help you the first time. With black nails you are best just taking a small amount off, rather than going too far. Generally with most dogs the nails are flush with the level of the paw, so this can be a guide.

It is good to get your dog used to having it's paws and nails handled - just pick it's feet up and check each toe regulary, even if you aren't cutting them. The same as it being good to check in it's mouth, lift it's lip up, check under it's tail etc. Otherwise you end up needing to do something with it and it's not used to being handled in that way - cue a big stressful struggling match! Whereas with a bit of time spent regularly, it can be a lot easier!

ReputationRep:
    No. My dog is a nightmare when it comes to nail clippings. His back nails are naturally worn down by the pavement, but we're going to have to take him to the vet to get the front paws done. We've left it for to long.
    He'll happily let us hold his paw, but when the clippers/file comes out... :hide:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by beccagood95)
    No. My dog is a nightmare when it comes to nail clippings. His back nails are naturally worn down by the pavement, but we're going to have to take him to the vet to get the front paws done. We've left it for to long.
    He'll happily let us hold his paw, but when the clippers/file comes out... :hide:
    Sounds that he would everyone maul who dare to cut his nails. What a breed do you have? Is your dog peaceful, if no one treats his mails?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kallisto)
    Sounds that he would everyone maul who dare to cut his nails. What a breed do you have? Is your dog peaceful, if no one treats his mails?
    Oh gosh no, he would never maul anyone! O.o
    I have a Dogue De Bordeaux and Lab cross.
    It's just when we clip his nails, he tries with all of his might to run away, maybe knocking some things over in his path. He's just scared.
    He's a very placid and lovely dog.

ReputationRep:
    no, she gets them cut when she gets her hair cut.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.