Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Margaret Thatcher did NOT destroy British industry.
    Manufacturing output actually increased under her watch.
    It seems she closed down the unprofitable parts and her tax cuts allowed the profitable parts to thrive
    news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/1475644.stm
    When she was Education Secretary she argued against cutting school milk for 7-11 year olds. But as she was the minister she took the rap!

Spoiler:
    Show
    Ironically it was Labour that removed school milk from secondary school students in 1968!

She did NOT hate the working classes' - her policies allowed so many to move up in society , the proportion of people in the working class fell as ordinary people became home-owners and shareholders .

Wilson closed more mines than Thatcher did!

http://www.londonlovesbusiness.com/b...s/5218.article

6) “There is no such thing as society”
    Read the full quote and it is clear Thatcher meant the reverse. Here is the full quote from an interview given to Women’s Own in 1987:

“I think we have gone through a period when too many children and people have been given to understand ‘I have a problem, it is the Government’s job to cope with it!’ or ‘I have a problem, I will go and get a grant to cope with it!’ ‘I am homeless, the Government must house me!’ and so they are casting their problems on society and who is society? There is no such thing!

“There are individual men and women and there are families and no government can do anything except through people and people look to themselves first… There is no such thing as society. There is living tapestry of men and women and people and the beauty of that tapestry and the quality of our lives will depend upon how much each of us is prepared to take responsibility for ourselves and each of us prepared to turn round and help by our own efforts those who are unfortunate.”

7) She chose inflation over jobs
    The Philips Curve plots unemployment against inflation. It illustrates the trade-off: as one falls the other rises, and vice versa. In healthy economies the curve is tight to the X and Y axes meaning both are low. In dysfunctional economies the trade-off exists, but both are high. Thatcher’s goal was to reduce inflation at the expense of unemployment, so that part is true. But her goal was to drag the UK’s Philips Curve back towards the X and Y axis. In plain English: she pursued low long-term unemployment and inflation at the cost of short-term unemployment. A more complicated trade-off than is commonly appreciated.

BONUS MYTH: She called Nelson Mandela a “terrorist”
    One more myth: that Thatcher dismissed Nelson Mandela as a “terrorist”. We can find no evidence of this. What is usually quoted is her statement in 1987 when she described the ANC as a “terrorist organisation”.

David Cameron has described her statement as a “mistake”. But the context is interesting. It came in the aftermath of a speech in 1986 when Winnie Mandela endorsed the “necklacing” of political opponents. For the uninitiated, necklacing is the placing of a burning tyre over the head of the victim, to kill. She said: “with our boxes of matches and our necklaces we shall liberate this country.”

The “football team” which formed her bodyguard were notoriously violent.

The struggle for freedom was not entirely peaceful. At the end of the Eighties more than 5,000 were killed in skirmishes between the ANC and the rival Inkatha Freedom Party.;

Regarding apartheid, here’s what Mangosuthu Buthelezi, the former Inkatha Freedom Party, had this to say:

“She was a voice of reason during apartheid and listened attentively to my plea against sanctions and economic disinvestment, which we both recognised would hurt the poorest of our people the most.”
    Please feel free to add some more

ReputationRep:
    she also had nothing to do with the falklands.

loved catholics and really respected the irish.

she also supported the unions and hated the middle class.

her favourite country was wales and her favourite stone was coal.

she was even the patron saint of the north.

ReputationRep:
    Elvis didn't do no drugs.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestofyou)
    Thatcher was a case of the rich getting richer while the poor not only did not see a penny of this wealth, they actually became worse off. She was a radical tory and that is what happens when radicals get to power.
    Under Thatcher, the rich became richer, and the poor became richer. She answers this criticism better than I ever could in her last ever Commons Speech:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    Margaret Thatcher did NOT destroy British industry.
    Manufacturing output actually increased under her watch.
    It seems she closed down the unprofitable parts and her tax cuts allowed the profitable parts to thrive
    news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/1475644.stm
    When she was Education Secretary she argued against cutting school milk for 7-11 year olds. But as she was the minister she took the rap!

Ironically it was Labour that removed school milk from secondary school students in 1968!

Please feel free to add some more
    Harold Wilson stopped free milk for secondary school pupils in 1968, but Thatcher in 1971, who was education secretary, ended free school milk for children over the age of seven. So it's not a myth.

You forgot the high inflation, high unemployment, declining North, widening class gaps, the Belgrano, and support for dictators.

May her soul rest in peace. I admire her determination, but not much more.

ReputationRep:
    Thatcher was a case of the rich getting richer while the poor not only did not see a penny of this wealth, they actually became worse off. She was a radical tory and that is what happens when radicals get to power.
    So are you saying that the working classes didn't buy their own homes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amineamine2)
    Harold Wilson stopped free milk for secondary school pupils in 1968, but Thatcher in 1971, who was education secretary, ended free school milk for children over the age of seven. So it's not a myth.

You forgot the high inflation, high unemployment, declining North, widening class gaps, the Belgrano, and support for dictators.

May her soul rest in peace. I admire her determination, but not much more.
    Not to mention branding Mandela a terrorist...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holo)
    And the British coal mining industry has been in decline since 1952, the slowest rate of decline was under Thatcher (find a chart if you don't believe me) and the fastest under New Labour. The only time the miners ever had an offer which guarantee them to keep their jobs was under Thatcher.

Marxists have a funny way of spinning things.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I wonder if posters here have heard of Arthur Scargill?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nixonsjellybeans)
    Not to mention branding Mandela a terrorist...
    Oh yeah, and opposing the sanctions of apartheid South Africa.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    I wonder if posters here have heard of Arthur Scargill?
    I think it's well accepted by many on the left these days that Scargill ****ed things up royally. The Unions did need some reform, but they should have accepted Castle's suggestions in 1969...Jim Callaghan has a lot to answer for. I'm sure there are still those who will disagree with me though, particularly from mining families.

ReputationRep:
    It is a myth. What actually happened was that she provided grants to LEAs to pay for the milk. Any school that wanted it could have it. It was really about changing the source of the funding, but that wasn't interesting enough for the left. People like to pretend that they had "their milk taken away" when it didn't actually happen.

It's also arguable whether by the early 80s, there was any point to the free milk in the first place.

You forgot the high inflation, high unemployment, declining North, widening class gaps,
    The 70s were a nightmare. No-one can deny that. It was going to be hard to get out of. Anyone that believes that the answer to economic crisis is to spend more money needs to look in the mirror and check that they're not Gordon Brown.

the Belgrano,
    Enemy naval vessel gets sunk in war. Shock. Horror. Help. Police.

ReputationRep:
    Complete and utter nonsense and tripe. Why do the left insist on lying through their teeth? Income for all quartiles rose under Thatcher. Tax rates for all bands decreased under Thatcher. This is pretty basic stuff that is widely known, so I can only assume you're making a conscious decision to simply lie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    It was more complicated than that, and you know it.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, and opposing the sanctions of apartheid South Africa.
    Because she knew they wouldn't acheive anything. The government would have simply passed on the costs to the poor blacks and become more isolated and radical with a seige mentality. Instead she engaged in constructive dialogue with the South African regime which FW de Klerk himself credited with doing more to end Apartheid than any other country.
    People really need to stop jumping to surface conclusions and actually dig a little deeper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    It is a myth. What actually happened was that she provided grants to LEAs to pay for the milk. Any school that wanted it could have it. It was really about changing the source of the funding, but that wasn't interesting enough for the left. People like to pretend that they had "their milk taken away" when it didn't actually happen.

It's also arguable whether by the early 80s, there was any point to the free milk in the first place.

The 70s were a nightmare. No-one can deny that. It was going to be hard to get out of. Anyone that believes that the answer to economic crisis is to spend more money needs to look in the mirror and check that they're not Gordon Brown.

Where is your source? (Re: milk)
    I was speaking about the 80s, not the 70s. And the gaps are still here today.

You seem not to understand what happened to the Belgrano. There was no need to sink it as it was not a threat, nor did it aid British victory. It was just a pointless waste of some 300 lives.

Where is your defence for her support of dictators and opposition to deal with the apartheid regime?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pol pot noodles)
    Because she knew they wouldn't acheive anything. The government would have simply passed on the costs to the poor blacks and become more isolated and radical with a seige mentality. Instead she engaged in constructive dialogue with the South African regime which FW de Klerk himself credited with doing more to end Apartheid than any other country.
    People really need to stop jumping to surface conclusions and actually dig a little deeper.
    Where was her sense of diplomacy when it came to the Falklands? She said she does not negotiate with these kind of regimes, and indeed refused dialogue with the ANC.
    Of course they would help. People with your political philosophy are not opposing sanctions against Iran (or Iraq back then). I wonder the difference.

ReputationRep:
    Another thatcher fact you won't read in the daily mail is that (as education sec) shut more grammar schools than anyone else.

ReputationRep:
    Where was her sense of diplomacy when it came to the Falklands?
    What are you talking about? She was very diplomatic- The Argentines were offered the chance to save face and foxtrot oscar out of the islands on their own accord, or we'd send a great big task force down there to kick them out physically and forcefully.

She said she does not negotiate with these kind of regimes, and indeed refused dialogue with the ANC.
    Because they were terrorists ie. attacking civilians. It would hardly set a good precedent to be opening dialogue with ANC considering the tough stance she was taking on the Troubles in Northern Ireland.

Of course they would help. People with your political philosophy are not opposing sanctions against Iran (or Iraq back then). I wonder the difference.
    Except they don't help. Iran is no closer to stopping it's nuclear programme. Kim Jong-Un is as chubby and fat as ever. I have my own personal views on individual policies and issues; I don't blindly agree with things just because that is what Cameron's Tories are doing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pol pot noodles)
    What are you talking about? She was very diplomatic- The Argentines were offered the chance to save face and foxtrot oscar out of the islands on their own accord, or we'd send a great big task force down there to kick them out physically and forcefully.

Because they were terrorists ie. attacking civilians. It would hardly set a good precedent to be opening dialogue with ANC considering the tough stance she was taking on the Troubles in Northern Ireland.

Except they don't help. Iran is no closer to stopping it's nuclear programme. Kim Jong-Un is as chubby and fat as ever. I have my own personal views on individual policies and issues; I don't blindly agree with things just because that is what Cameron's Tories are doing.
    Nope. She refused to negotiate. Saying 'my way or war' is not negotiating or very diplomatic at all.

So what about her relationship with the Chilean dictator? Did he not target civilians too? Why was she so friendly with some dictators? Does not seem like someone I would praise.
    Iran is close to falling apart. They are weak. It's getting there. Not that I agree with the goal in principle.

ReputationRep:
    Hypocrite-if a radical leftie came to power I'm sure you'd be happy!

That's not true many Richard Bransons went from rags to riches thanks to Maggie!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.