Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My friend is really scaring me with her eating habits. Sometimes she will complain about how much weight she's put on, the one time I tried to give her advice she snapped. I left it there and decided not to mention exercising again. Anyways recently she started doing insanity and lasted only a few days. She calls me and tells me she's been eating so much food. She's listed all the food she's had and how much weight she's put on. I suggest eating better and I tell her that I only drink water and I've cut out so much. My friend says she can't do it. I have been in the same boat I used to binge eat a lot which resulted in bad skin and an almost beer belly!! I brought up going to the gym before together and she wasn't interested. Obviously it is her life but she isn't taking care of herself. I forgot to mention she said she makes herself throw up as well. I don't want it to get to the point where her health is at risk!

So how can I help her out?

ReputationRep:
    If she's purging after eating by throwing up, she's already putting he health at risk.

By the sounds of it she has an unhealthy relationship with food and should seek professional help i.e. see her GP. If you can sit her down and talk to her rationally and explain why you're worried about her and you just want her to get better. Failing this, if she's a minor, talk it over with someone you trust in a position of authority with regards to her such as one of her parents, older siblings or even a teacher.

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I have one idea give her live example of what is actually happen if she did not stop eating. Means show her some video and pics so may be from that she will scare and give attention on her health...
    funny try it...

ReputationRep:
    It's so easy to get into a vicious cycle with eating. You want to be slim, you want to eat, but you think food makes you feel better! Which it does for a while, but then once the effect wears off you remember that actually it's only adding to your problems.. some people may then go to the next stage of trying to get rid of it, others don't. If your friend is, then this is a problem. I wouldn't usually advocate going behind her back, but if there is a teacher or another friend who you could talk to, then maybe this would be beneficial. If she won't listen to the "obvious" advice with regards to diet and exercise then something else has to change, or she will never get better!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.