Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Why is it that under 21s insurance is sky high that have just passed a hard test but OAP's is low? Shouldn't it be the other way around since the test way easy back then

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm assuming young people account for most of motor insurance claims, so we're told.

ReputationRep:
    Basically, according to statistics, young drivers are more likely to have an accident than anyone else, plus the fact they lack experience on the road, hence why the price is higher. Im sure i heard somewhere that 1 in 5 new drivers have a crash within 6 months of passing their test. Dont know how true it is. With older drivers, statistically they are less likely to have an accident. They may have had to do an easier test in those days, but they have years of experience on the roads.
    I agree that prices are too high though. They can be ridiculous sometimes. I know that young drivers lack experience and are more likely to crash, but the prices arent fair. And us young drivers can get a bad name. Yes there may be some idiot young drivers about, but most of us drive safely. And the situation about older drivers gets me a bit. They can be just as bad drivers sometimes, even though statistics dont show it.

ReputationRep:
    Agree with Emma, it's unfortunate that we have to pay so much but it's just the way it is

It really annoys me when i pay so dam much, then an old granddad goes and pulls out on me on a roundabout!

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...and_Chantelle/ - watch this...

While they may not account for the majority of us, they cost a fortune for insurers so we have to pay the price :/

ReputationRep:
    OAPs will probably not be driving as far, as often or as fast. They will also have had time to accrue the no claims discounts for many years and thus can use this to get cheaper insurance.

That said, there are statistics which reckon an old driver is as dangerous as a young driver because of impairments relating to their age. Because of their typically shorter journeys and cautioness, they probably just narrowly avoid crashing their car despite some no longer being safe to drive.

Still, it's a little rubbish. Though the experience of a new driver is minimal, they are aware that they're driving to the latest rules and the training is still fresh.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.