Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am in lower sixth, I have started to look at universitys but I have always wanted to go to Trinity Dublin. I am Irish and definiatley applying to Trinity I have one problem though. I go to school in England so instead of leaving certificate I do A levels. In Ireland they also have a point system, you can get max 100 points in exam, to study law in Trinity you have to have minimum 525 points, I do 3 exams so if I convert it I still wont have enough points, Will I don't know will I be able to apply as an international student because I have an Irish citezenship an Irish passport and the minute I open my mouth they will know I am Irish. I also have an Irish name. Please help what should I do?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Don't they also count your ASs? If so, wouldn't you have 3A2s and 1AS? Also, I've heard that you get 'bonus' points for some subjects, e.g. maths gives you an extra 25 points or something...
    Also do you mean exam or subject by 'exam'? If you mean 'exam', then you will probably have more than 3 - most A levels have two exams per subject.
    They must cater for people doing A levels - it's one of the most popular exam systems and so they must have applicants in a similar situation to you.
    My best advice is to contact them - they may say that they will consider A levels separately to their points system, or advise you to take all 4 ASs to A2 level or something like that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by irishgurl)
    Hi,

I am in lower sixth, I have started to look at universitys but I have always wanted to go to Trinity Dublin. I am Irish and definiatley applying to Trinity I have one problem though. I go to school in England so instead of leaving certificate I do A levels. In Ireland they also have a point system, you can get max 100 points in exam, to study law in Trinity you have to have minimum 525 points, I do 3 exams so if I convert it I still wont have enough points, Will I don't know will I be able to apply as an international student because I have an Irish citezenship an Irish passport and the minute I open my mouth they will know I am Irish. I also have an Irish name. Please help what should I do?
    I assume you're doing 3 A Levels?

Based on the website it says that you need to get 525 points. And, to get those points you can use 3 A2's and 1 AS, or 4 A2's.

So to get 525 points using 4 A Levels and an AS you would need to get...
    A*A*A*D
    A*A*AB

Using 3 A Levels and an AS it's quite impossible. As an A* is 150 points, so 3 A*'s is 450 points.

If you're doing A Level Maths, Further Maths, or Pure Maths you get an extra 25 points - so if you do one of those, that can boost your points, which would allow you to get in with 3 A levels and an AS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knalchemist)
    I assume you're doing 3 A Levels?

Based on the website it says that you need to get 525 points. And, to get those points you can use 3 A2's and 1 AS, or 4 A2's.

So to get 525 points using 4 A Levels and an AS you would need to get...
    A*A*A*D
    A*A*AB

Using 3 A Levels and an AS it's quite impossible. As an A* is 150 points, so 3 A*'s is 450 points.

If you're doing A Level Maths, Further Maths, or Pure Maths you get an extra 25 points - so if you do one of those, that can boost your points, which would allow you to get in with 3 A levels and an AS.
    Thanks the thing is I am definatley not taking maths, I have dyslexia so number and letters together aren't good, I have dyspraxia so I can't work with shapes and I also have dyscalculia

ReputationRep:
    Thanks the thing is I am definatley not taking maths, I have dyslexia so number and letters together aren't good, I have dyspraxia so I can't work with shapes and I also have dyscalculia
    What A Levels ARE you taking?

If you're doing 4 AS's, then just take all 4 at A2 if you can, seeing as you're in lower sixth. Other than that, if you're doing 3 A Levels and an AS I don't think you'd get in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knalchemist)
    What A Levels ARE you taking?

If you're doing 4 AS's, then just take all 4 at A2 if you can, seeing as you're in lower sixth. Other than that, if you're doing 3 A Levels and an AS I don't think you'd get in.
    For A level I am taking Phsycology, History and Drama
    AS level I am taking Phsycology, History, Drama and English Language

ReputationRep:
    For A level I am taking Phsycology, History and Drama
    AS level I am taking Phsycology, History, Drama and English Language
    If you took all 4 of them at A2 you'd have a shot at Trinity.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.