Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Howdy everyone,

I am doing both the WW1 literature in AS and A2 Reading for Meaning (Love Through the Ages) and I need help on both. Does anyone know where to find A* Model answers. How do you suggest that the question be tackled to get as many if not all marks possible.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    I did the struggle for Identity in As so i can't help you with that.
    For the love through the ages exam you need to memorise the specific techniques for analysing unseen prose poetry and drama.
    For example, in a play you would be looking at the unsaid between the characters relationship with the audience in comparison to other characters. Specific techniques would be dramatic irony, stage directions, asides. For language you would be analysing dialogue as opposed to narrative which applies to prose. The characters are really important in plays so hone in on them more than you would in poetry and prose because essentially they carry the plot. In prose, Narrative view point e.g. 1st person, omniscient has an effect on reading and understanding. Characters are also important and setting also has specific signficance e.g. in Bronte's Wutering heights the two settingsThrushcross grange and Wuthering Heights reflect in the characterisation of individuals. Poetry you would be exploring theme, structure which includes rhythm and rhyme. Reading in units of sense i.e. not in lines but in sentences...check for repetition, assonance, alteration, turning points or 'volta' in sonnets.

For all prose, poetry and drama, you have to make sure you include relevant context of the time period and for higher marks analyse the context against your own modern interpretation. Also critical analysis such as Marxism, psychoanalysis and Feminism would earn you higher marks. Make sure you study all the AO's which would be on the AQA website and make sure you cross reference the texts for comparison throughout. No paragraph should ever stand on its own. Also, make sure you have a consistent analysis of form, structure and language..the most irritating words ever...but cant be emphasised enough.

I think the most important thing to remember though is understand the little information they give you at the beginning of each extract..note how i said understand...not read...you do not want to misinterpret the text because you will instantly appear as a weaker candidate and your response will make no sense.

Also remember there is no right answer and you dont have to agree or write positively about the texts...creating a debate makes your essay more interesting.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
    x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.