Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will Thatcher's death hinder the rise of UKIP? Watch

ReputationRep:
    It seems to me a lot of ex-Tory voters that have lost hope in the party have suddenly revived their patriotism. Do you think this is a temporary thing that will blow-over or will it be a major boost for the Tories? The problem (if you see it as one) is that if this happened it will force a lot of ex-Labour voters BACK to voting Labour.

So where will this leave UKIP? I truly feel this is a bit more than this weeks news and something else will take over in a fortnight. Labour and Conservaties aren't all that different these days, this is about opposing factions of the past more than anything, but will each party see this as an excuse to bolster more extreme plans for the future, which would usually leave people shouting UKIP?

ReputationRep:
    I'd suggest the opposite, actually.

When you compare Thatcher to today's Tories, you realise how spineless, weak and ineffectual the current Tory party leadership is. If anything, Thatcher's death will remind Tories of what used to be, and encourage a return to proper conservatism, not the silliness of Cameron.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aspiringlawstudent)
    I'd suggest the opposite, actually.

When you compare Thatcher to today's Tories, you realise how spineless, weak and ineffectual the current Tory party leadership is. If anything, Thatcher's death will remind Tories of what used to be, and encourage a return to proper conservatism, not the silliness of Cameron.
    I agree all the current leaders of the parties do not compare well to her even if you disagree with her policies at least she stuck to her guns and was determined and strong, she knew what she wanted and belived and she got it done, it will remind everyone of how weak, inconsistent and middle of the road all the parties have become, expecting a very good result in May for UKIP

ReputationRep:
    This is what I don't think is happening in recent days. I get the feeling the recent years of Tories has been forgotten, though if this is temporary I don't know, and it's as if Thatcher suddenly represents them today. I've seen people that voted Tories in 2010 gradually despising the party and looking elsewhere, only to go back on it and claim how they are our saviour and will be in the future.

Saying that, the Telegraph are suppressing opinions and the DM seem to be stirring up rivalry rather than focusing on what matters.

I just get the feeling where people were most shouting UKIP, the powers that have been trying to keep UKIP in the shadows are now using Thatcher's death to bring back patriotic Tories.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Is cheesecake a cake?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.